Has the Korg Radias bombed?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
realtrance

Post by realtrance » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:00 am

I think (unfortunately!) the Radias is going to end up like the Yamaha FS1R: one of the most amazing, innovative synths nobody ever took enough time and bother (until after the fact) to really dig into and understand.

Its combination of multiple Elements, with multiple mod sequencers along with arpeggiator and vocoder, provides an incredible variety of stuff to work with... if you dig in.

A lot of the presets are "band in a box"-like, but again, if you are serious in your use of a synth, you realize these are simply examples of "the kinds of things you can do" with the synth.

And I have to say beyond that, that Phill MacDonald's return to helping Korg program their factory presets is a huge plus (Phill did a lot of the work for Novation's Supernova line, back in the late '90's, and is an excellent sound programmer). The others who provided the factory programming are also quite talented, experienced and broad-ranging in their synth technique; there's a LOT to learn from studying what they've done in the system.

For a VA, the Radias also provides a very large number of presets, so there's lots of bread 'n butter stuff to work with, if you don't want to dig too deep (but what a waste!).

Again... I think this synth is severely underappreciated, and in time, like the FS1R, and the JP8000, will be seen as a real classic, with some unique capabilities, and far more than is apparent at superficial glance. So there! :)

shagghie

Post by shagghie » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:16 am

I was blown away at NAMM last year by some of the killer Radias Live Demos they had going on... but when I actually got to spend time with it at a shop, I couldn't get past how it was trying so hard to look like something it wasn't, and the plastic feel really turned me off. I too think of it as an electribe on steroids, at least as far as build quality and feel. It also does seem to be a lot of sizzle....even if there might be a lot of steak under the hood, ultimately.

Would make an awesome vocoder at around $500, if they'd just do away with the other features to bring price down. The sound is very linear IMO too, but I'm partial to drift and happy glitches in headroom.

not sure it will ever be a 'classic', but it will always be something cool that Korg tried out. If the packaging was more straight-forward and sturdy/metal, etc. I think it might have catered to it's intended audience, for surely it is too complex/powerful for most ESX'ers to appreciate. So they like, missed both target markets by landing in between...

aeon

Post by aeon » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:32 am

realtrance wrote:And I have to say beyond that, that Phill MacDonald's return to helping Korg program their factory presets is a huge plus (Phill did a lot of the work for Novation's Supernova line, back in the late '90's, and is an excellent sound programmer). The others who provided the factory programming are also quite talented, experienced and broad-ranging in their synth technique; there's a LOT to learn from studying what they've done in the system.
I always wonder who these people are, because most often, factory patches, even when they come from talented programmers, are weak, and do not exploit the features of the machine in a way that shows it off musically.

Plus, I would say that the larger companies have not done enough to attract name producers who could attract buyers because of programming chops already demonstrated on record.

cheers,
Ian

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:36 am

shagghie wrote: not sure it will ever be a 'classic', but it will always be something cool that Korg tried out. If the packaging was more straight-forward and sturdy/metal, etc. I think it might have catered to it's intended audience, for surely it is too complex/powerful for most ESX'ers to appreciate. So they like, missed both target markets by landing in between...
I think that in-between space is actually very interesting. I rarely use more than 1/4th of my TI's features on a typical patch and I'd definitely be interested in something simpler and more performance-oriented that had more depth than an EMX. I bought the Radias hoping it would be it but I just never clicked with the sound.

I'd *really* like to see something like this with a more colorful sound engine and maybe some limited Machinedrum UW creative resampling ability. My hunch is that the market for Virus-like straight up VA gear is going to get very tight soon.

Dreamtronix

Post by Dreamtronix » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:09 am

In this whole 'Korg=c**p' war, it surprises me that no one has mentioned the KARMA. Now this synth is pure genius! It's so good that I bought one, had a brain fart episode, sold it and had to buy another to replace it.

Korg does NOT make c**p!!!
Roland: Jupiter-8, Jupiter-6(x2), MC-808, MP-600, RS-09,

Yamaha: CS-30, SK-15

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:42 am

Dreamtronix wrote:KARMA. Now this synth is pure genius!
I have a bunch of KORG stuff and have sold a few of my KORG things. I would say I really like the brand. I am especially fond of my Z1.

The looks of the Radias don't scare me, the specs look pretty good with some interesting features, but a lot of the demos seem to focus on vocoder things which I have no use for, thusfar. I might pick one up down the line somewhere to see how it works for me.

But that KARMA sure does seem interesting! I have read up on it and watched lots of demos but I haven't seen one in person. Can you give a little writeup about how it works for you and what you like or don't like? I'd love to check one of those out sometime.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

shagghie

Post by shagghie » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:45 am

Dreamtronix wrote:
Korg does NOT make c**p!!!
I totally agree, their stuff is powerful, often genius, and sounds good. I just wish it didn't *feel* like c**p while playing it. If their keyboards weighed any less they could be used as backups for feathers in a down comforter.

Korg and, I think, Novation, both suffer here. But, to me at least it doesn't seem like Novation are as obsessed with making their products look so wizz-bang-blingo-dingolated.

luciano

Post by luciano » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:00 am

tallowwaters wrote:
phwb wrote: or start a thread in Off Topic.
no, really, we cant take no more...
:lol:
"I don't play a lot of fancy guitar. I don't want to play it. The kind of guitar I want to play is mean, mean licks." John Lee Hooker.

http://www.myspace.com/brainl

http://www.myspace.com/dogadog my Punk/garage band

sequence

Post by sequence » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:07 am

Dreamtronix wrote: Korg does NOT make c**p!!!
I also agree, although the first two Tritons I purchased had 9 busted keys between them. I think Korg's QC has suffered some as of late. There are, however, a smattering of Korg bashers on this forum so I just ignore them. For they know not what they speak 8)

And when I played Radias I kept thinking MS2000 bumped up a couple notches. After all, the interface is almost identical. Interesting synth, but nothing innovative. J.. Jimmy
twentyfirst century fizMO man

DGX305

Post by DGX305 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:02 pm

so has anyone since the last post bought the Radius and is enjoying it? I spent more time with it at GS and I'm liking it more and more. I'm thinking about upgrading my EMX to a Radius! Any thoughts?
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100

gd

Post by gd » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:40 pm

the more I get into this synth the more I appreciate what it can do - if stolen I would replace it immediately. It's interesting to note that many who have posted over the past about not liking the Radias are also commenting on the M3/Radias combo in a positive light. Some synths just take a little longer to gain a following. There are a lot of wtf presets on it but some very good ones as well. There is a guy in a very successful heavy metal rock band that is now using one and thoroughly enjoying it.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

SomethingKillingYou
No Longer Registered

Post by SomethingKillingYou » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:45 pm

phwb wrote:The administration of Korg is taking its hard earned good name and assets and using it to scam people. Sorta like the United States.
agree!

Antonin

Post by Antonin » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:51 pm

tallowwaters wrote:
phwb wrote: or start a thread in Off Topic.
damn...now i want a prophecy.
[off topic]
there's one here, auction ends tomorrow, 102 eur at this point (not my auction, this is no endorsment :-) )
http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/Korg-Prophecy-V ... dZViewItem
[/off topic]

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:00 pm

JUGEL wrote: ps - MC-505 still sucks as a drum machine ;)
So make your own drum timbres if you're not happy with them.
You have the ability...and the ability to design your kits while your at it.

I'm gonna have to side up with Seph on this one.....
lot of people completely misunderstand what the 505 is and how it works.

miket156

Post by miket156 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:16 pm

I know this is and "old" thread, but I wasn't active on this site when it was a current thread. Where Korg screwed up on the Radias is the price it was launched at....1999.00 LIST 1599.00 MAP (or was that 1699?) WAY WAY too much money for a VA. That market is really saturated, and even though the Radias might be a better value now that its MAP price is 1199.00 with KB, Korg may have shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how good a machine the Radias is, I saw the NAMM demo and it sounded OK to me. But I knew there was no way I would pay anything close to 1999.00 for it, which is what it was in the beginning. h**l, you can get a DSI KB Evolver for that price, why would I spend that much money on a VA? :!:

Mike T.