Has the Korg Radias bombed?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:04 pm

miket156 wrote:xpander:

The reference to the DX7 I made was about the need for a less expensive programmable synth (or a synth with patch recall, the dX7 wasn't all that easy to program) from what was on the market at the time. Oberheim, then the Prophet 5, then OBX, etc. I had it in the same paragraph as my reference to a VA, so that was wrong.

The VA market has been and IS saturated. We're getting into more "me too" VA's and there aren't as many first time buyers out there as there was some years ago.

My main point was Korg HAD to drop the price on the Radias or they wouldn't have done it. If Korg could get all those 6000 buyers of the Radias to buy it at $1999.00 each, they would have been happy campers.

Mike T.
saturation i like... i still wish more hardware VA synths took advantage of massive digital power- like a 6 osc, 30 LFOs per voice architecture, etc. and when is someone going to put big memory for storage of a billion patches?? why not? that would be a cool selling point ("you will probably never need a librarian for anything other than a safety backup.") memory is dirt cheap.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:05 pm

miket156 wrote:xpander:

The reference to the DX7 I made was about the need for a less expensive programmable synth (or a synth with patch recall, the dX7 wasn't all that easy to program) from what was on the market at the time. Oberheim, then the Prophet 5, then OBX, etc. I had it in the same paragraph as my reference to a VA, so that was wrong.

The VA market has been and IS saturated. We're getting into more "me too" VA's and there aren't as many first time buyers out there as there was some years ago.

My main point was Korg HAD to drop the price on the Radias or they wouldn't have done it. If Korg could get all those 6000 buyers of the Radias to buy it at $1999.00 each, they would have been happy campers.

Mike T.
saturation i like... i still wish more hardware VA synths took advantage of massive digital power- like a 6 osc, 30 LFOs per voice architecture, etc. and when is someone going to put big memory for storage of a billion patches?? why not? that would be a cool selling point ("you will probably never need a librarian for anything other than a safety backup.") memory is dirt cheap.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:42 pm

Check out John Bowen's upcoming Solaris if you want mad digital power in hardware...

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:45 pm

And where are the romplers with 100+ gb of samples?

prophei

Post by prophei » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:27 pm

Umm not to derail the thread, but there was no genocide folks. You are overlooking a lot of stuff. I'll keep that short and sweet...
damn, i wanna stop the derailment, but this has to be addressed...
how can what we did to the american indians not be genocide?
andromeda > polyevolver keyboard > ms-20 > oberheim two voice > arp 2600 > minimoog > custom modular system > polivoks > roland SVC-350 > jomox mbase01 > sh2 > acidlab > tr-808 > drumtrax > korg dvp-1 > protools hd3 > mac dual 2.0 G5

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:50 am

If you don't want to stop the derailment, allow me.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian