So what inspired you to get into synths in the first place?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Fri May 25, 2007 6:44 am

Many things. First, I heard TOTO IV at the age of three. Then came the synthpop explosion of the greater part of the 80's; I don't need to go into the bands. Then came my exposure to the offerings of the 0's and 70's. When I started gaining an increased interest in the things, I was told I should take some piano lessons. This I did, mainly to have a good reason to drop money on old synths that were probably going to take up more room than time, otherwise.

Many more factors that I won't go into for now.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

sheepmusic

Post by sheepmusic » Sat May 26, 2007 12:07 pm

i started piano when i was about 4, 12 years later i got into my dad's Pink Floyd albums, a Rick Wakeman DVD and Rush... now i'm addicted to prog rock, but the rest of my band cant hack it, they want me to stick with the John Lord style - Hammond organ... i'm torn...
Roland FP-5 - Korg Poly-800 (reverse keys) - Korg Mono/Poly, M-Audio Ozone
Zoom RFX-1000

gfriden

Post by gfriden » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:46 am

Money. If by 'What got you into synths' means 'What got you into buying synths'. I had been broke for most of my life and finally got a well paid job. Finally, money to waste! Why not on vintage synths... ;-)
If on the other hand what is meant by this question is what got me into synths musically speaking, then I'd have to say the beginning of the 80's generally speaking. I mean, besides NWOBHM what was there? Synths were everywhere in music for the first time! More specifically, Kraftwerk's Computerworld. That album just blew me away. I was eight when it came out, I believe... :-)
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:13 am

Jan Hammer... Ah, Miami Vice... good stuff... That and Harold Faltermeyer. Down the road Vince Clark and of course Eddie. :P
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Track2

Post by Track2 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:55 pm

Miquette Giraudy
Triton ProX with MOSS, Z1, Q+ Phoenix, XTk, microQ, Supernova II, KS Rack, MS2000R, A6 Andromeda, Ion, Proteus 2500

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:04 pm

Track2 wrote:Miquette Giraudy
Interesting, tell me more? I saw Miquette with Steve in Bristol when they were still doing the Hillage thing (ie before System 7). At the time she was showing everyone new device called a "sequencer"!

despot_of_mid_nor

Post by despot_of_mid_nor » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:52 pm

I listened to Rick Wakeman journey to the centre of the earth ever since i was little on vinyl. I then got into rock and bands like NIN resparked my love for synths, i now own two and alot of virtual synth software.
J

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:48 pm

Goblin, Mr. Oizo, Giorgio Moroder, Stereolab, Kraftwerk, Brian Eno and a lot of others. I was lured by Zombie, Monster and old horror movies, mod, ambient music and electro.

Also I have no life. :P
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

T-John

Post by T-John » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:00 pm

Watching the opening credits of Blade Runner as an impressionable 14 year old while sitting on the floor of a pitch black room at a friends house. A crazy friend who'd connected 'bout 15 old hifi speakers together and scattered them around the room. Wow...

Also, the synth insanity on the bridge to Roxy Music's "Virginia Plain".
Gear: Roland JP-4, Siel DK600, Yamaha CS-80

Postblank

Post by Postblank » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:41 pm

I've always liked popular music that displayed synthesizers from as far back as I can remember. "Jump" was always my favorite Van Halen song, I always had a fascination with synth-y Pink Floyd songs ("Welcome to the Machine"). Once I understood what made those sounds, I became even more fascinated and kept an ear to the ground for synth sounds.

Something clicked in 2003 when I bought Whirlwind Heat's Do Rabbits Wonder. I learned from their gear page that they mostly utilized a Moog Rogue to make the synth sounds. I scoured eBay for synth deals (mostly Moogs) for months and eventually found a Rogue for $400.
Keys: Wurlitzer 200A, Nord Electro 2, Arp Omni 2, Yamaha DX-7 II FD, Casio VL-Tone 1, Roland JX-10

ford442
Band: Noah Cohn

Post by ford442 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:49 pm

for me it was Rebirth 338 and the neverending stream of mods back in the 90s..

Track2

Post by Track2 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:54 pm

chamomileshark wrote:
Track2 wrote:Miquette Giraudy
Interesting, tell me more? I saw Miquette with Steve in Bristol when they were still doing the Hillage thing (ie before System 7). At the time she was showing everyone new device called a "sequencer"!
Hi

I tried to think hard about when I first heard and appreciated synths- and I realised that it was when a friend introduced me to Hillage (like you, the 1970's Hillage :D ).

The atmospheric, eastern-detuned moog thing blew my mind at the time because I'd never heard anything like it, either in terms of the sound of a synth or the tunings. The combination of this wholly new sounding instrument, with alternate tuning, was a compelling experience for me, which really opened my mind and ears to the possibilities of sound design afforded by synths at a fairly early age.

Course they famously cost the same as a semi in Croydon at the time, so it was years before I actually got to own a synth and start mucking around myself, but I can honestly say that MG (and of course all the other synthesists that steve worked with) reset my sensibility for life.

I'd also like to mention Japan- to me the dark, throbbing, weird timbres of some of the segueways on Oil On Canvas stand to this day as unique imho, and are well worth checking out. Never heard anyone else makes their Prophets and Oberheims sound quite like that.

Sylvian, Barberi (and also Steve Jansen) are masterful programmers to my mind.
Triton ProX with MOSS, Z1, Q+ Phoenix, XTk, microQ, Supernova II, KS Rack, MS2000R, A6 Andromeda, Ion, Proteus 2500

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:54 pm

Vangelis, Jarre (specifically Pulstar and Oxygene4), then many years later the sudden realisation that synths fulfil my "needs" to be a control freak and to mess with mysterious looking gadgets that none of the other nerds in my part of the world own.
Stephen(2)