waldorf microwave xt / xtk

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
derma_tek
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:43 pm
Band: Derma-Tek
Location: PA , USA

waldorf microwave xt / xtk

Post by derma_tek » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:55 pm

a few questions concerning the xt/xtk

-anyone know where i can find some sound clips or something of it? i was able to find sound clips of the microwave 2, i've heard that the xt is the same engine just with more knobs, is that true?

-it seems everyone really likes this synth because of its uniqueness, which is what i'm looking for, but lots of times unique synths have a hard time fitting in the mix of a song, do you guys have any problems working it into and actual song?

-hows the OS on them? i've always heard that the waldorf q's were buggy as h**l, does the xt/xtk suffer from this as well?

-is the xt/xtk your go to synth for anything? [ie. leads, pads, bass]

thanks in advance guys :)

User avatar
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2860
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:15 am
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline
Location: Synth Garden
Contact:

Re: waldorf microwave xt / xtk

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:29 pm

- Here you can find some XT's demos:
http://www.sequencer.de/syns/waldorf/Mi ... aveXT.html
http://www.boduns.starlink.ru/MUSIC/DEM ... H/WALDORF/
More than the knob difference, the XT got better output, an extra 6dB output boost and using 20 bit converter (instead of 18 bit in the MWII) and this in no just spec talk, the audio range of the XT is amazing and of a superb quality

- Depends on the type of songs, but I found no problem using it in most songs that need electronic sounds. There's a good vibe, electric plucked sounds that even nice for simple general songs. The pads are warm and almost suitable in most situation.

- Sadly the keyboard have some OS problems, but seems like the module version are much solid since they are a much mature product. Just make sure to get the latest OS V 2.33 (used to be a rumour that OS 3 is coming, but seems like it's death by Waldorf bancruptcy..just expect the XT OS to wake up from the grave..)

- If I should only choose one from what I currently own, this should to be the one! It can virtually do most synth sounds (not as a specialist) with great quality, confidence and style (yup the wavetable engine and filters are really stylish). Pads, no need to ask, one of the best. Bass and Lead..sometime prefer this more than the Waldorf Pulse, nuff said 8)

For more XT madness, here's the King: http://carbon111.com/mwxt.html
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

User avatar
derma_tek
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:43 pm
Band: Derma-Tek
Location: PA , USA

Re: waldorf microwave xt / xtk

Post by derma_tek » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:03 pm

crystalmsc wrote:- Here you can find some XT's demos:
http://www.sequencer.de/syns/waldorf/Mi ... aveXT.html
http://www.boduns.starlink.ru/MUSIC/DEM ... H/WALDORF/
More than the knob difference, the XT got better output, an extra 6dB output boost and using 20 bit converter (instead of 18 bit in the MWII) and this in no just spec talk, the audio range of the XT is amazing and of a superb quality

- Depends on the type of songs, but I found no problem using it in most songs that need electronic sounds. There's a good vibe, electric plucked sounds that even nice for simple general songs. The pads are warm and almost suitable in most situation.

- Sadly the keyboard have some OS problems, but seems like the module version are much solid since they are a much mature product. Just make sure to get the latest OS V 2.33 (used to be a rumour that OS 3 is coming, but seems like it's death by Waldorf bancruptcy..just expect the XT OS to wake up from the grave..)

- If I should only choose one from what I currently own, this should to be the one! It can virtually do most synth sounds (not as a specialist) with great quality, confidence and style (yup the wavetable engine and filters are really stylish). Pads, no need to ask, one of the best. Bass and Lead..sometime prefer this more than the Waldorf Pulse, nuff said 8)

For more XT madness, here's the King: http://carbon111.com/mwxt.html
thank you very much for all the help :)

i'll definitely check out those links once i get home.

so the xtk and the rack xt have different os versions? i would just be using the xtk stand alone and via midi in the studio, i wouldn't be controling other synths with the keys, i've heard there were problems for people trying to use it as a main controller, is this what your talking about perhaps?

thanks again, much appreciated.

User avatar
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2860
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:15 am
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline
Location: Synth Garden
Contact:

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:58 pm

It's ok. As far as I know, both are using the same OS. Yes, seems like the XTk have no problem to control the internal engine as a stand alone but not recommended as a controller (unless Waldorf fix it with the new OS). Problem appears when dealing with other stuff coz the aftertouch have problems that sends nozy data :shock:
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

User avatar
derma_tek
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:43 pm
Band: Derma-Tek
Location: PA , USA

Post by derma_tek » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:35 pm

crystalmsc wrote:It's ok. As far as I know, both are using the same OS. Yes, seems like the XTk have no problem to control the internal engine as a stand alone but not recommended as a controller (unless Waldorf fix it with the new OS). Problem appears when dealing with other stuff coz the aftertouch have problems that sends nozy data :shock:
ah ok i see.

thanks again :)

User avatar
toonelind
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:18 am
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Contact:

Post by toonelind » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:58 pm

Does Microwave XT sound somewhat like the waldorf PPG wave 2 VST instrument?

User avatar
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:31 pm

Post by Yoozer » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:44 pm

The PPG 2.V is much more limited than the XT... and the XT can do the "PGG" trick of roughening up the transition between wavetables, too. I guess the XT will do just as fine of a job as the plugin, and in a lot of cases, a whole lot better.

Do keep in mind that the 2.V is an older plugin (which had to sacrifice correctness in emulation for less CPU load).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

User avatar
calyx93
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:48 am
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3
Location: Winston-Salem, NC

Post by calyx93 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:02 am

Yoozer wrote:The PPG 2.V is much more limited than the XT... and the XT can do the "PGG" trick of roughening up the transition between wavetables, too. I guess the XT will do just as fine of a job as the plugin, and in a lot of cases, a whole lot better.
Sorry to step in, but as a Wave 2.2 user I have to say that the II/XT is quite a bit more refined in all ways- this can be good or bad depending on what you want. When in comes to PPG authenticity, that "roughening up" feature isn't nearly as rough and sharp as a Wave clickety-clacking or just plain skipping and jumping through the wavetables (fast scanning doesn't really work well in the PPG's - even the original MicroWave is much smoother when abused). It's good to have both as the overlap allows for the full range of wavetable patches - nice when you'd like a smoother sound that's not always possible on the earlier machines.

In a mix - not many would spot the difference though. Just my $0.2.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

User avatar
carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:15 am
Band: Carbon111
Location: Pacific Northwest
Contact:

Re: waldorf microwave xt / xtk

Post by carbon111 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:22 am

derma_tek wrote:a few questions concerning the xt/xtk

-anyone know where i can find some sound clips or something of it? i was able to find sound clips of the microwave 2, i've heard that the xt is the same engine just with more knobs, is that true?
The XT can make allkinds of sounds, its all in the programming - like any synth. If you're interested in the XT's sound, there's a guy named Boele Gerkes that has done a few songs using only the XT:

http://synthmusic.info/mp3s/3halfyears.mp3

http://synthmusic.info/mp3s/RoseofSharon.mp3

http://synthmusic.info/mp3s/KingOfSalem.mp3

He uses jomox for drums. The style of music may or may not be to your liking but it gives some idea of the XT sound.

I don't have anything using the XT solo but it is used heavily in my work...along with all my other synths
-it seems everyone really likes this synth because of its uniqueness, which is what i'm looking for, but lots of times unique synths have a hard time fitting in the mix of a song, do you guys have any problems working it into and actual song?
Its a bit brighter than some synths but its not hard to make it "sit in the mix".
-hows the OS on them? i've always heard that the waldorf q's were buggy as h**l, does the xt/xtk suffer from this as well?
Its not very buggy at all, neither is the Q ati this point either. The only nasty bug is the XTK's aftertouch transmission sends garbage...it works fine internally but the XTK does not make a good controller because of this :(
-is the xt/xtk your go to synth for anything? [ie. leads, pads, bass]
All of the above ;)

Check out my XT resource site:

http://www.carbon111.com/mwxt.html
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

goom
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:55 am

Re: waldorf microwave xt / xtk

Post by goom » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:06 am

derma_tek wrote: -it seems everyone really likes this synth because of its uniqueness, which is what i'm looking for, but lots of times unique synths have a hard time fitting in the mix of a song, do you guys have any problems working it into and actual song?
I can see how it could be a problem in some mixes. Many of the sounds from the XT tend to have a glassy "shimmer" to them, but it's not impossible to have it seat well in the mix.

-hows the OS on them? i've always heard that the waldorf q's were buggy as h**l, does the xt/xtk suffer from this as well?
To be honest, I haven't had any problems with the OS on my XT. I seem to remember that there were some bugs that still needed OS updates to fix, but in my use of the synth, I haven't been bothered by any shortcomings.

-is the xt/xtk your go to synth for anything? [ie. leads, pads, bass]
I still find the XT a source of very unique sounds. I sometimes use it for leads, but more often use it for pad sounds to catch the ear. Mostly chordal textures, sometimes for monophonic lines, but I don't think I use it much for bass sounds. Not that I recall anyway.

Computer Controlled
No Longer Registered

Post by Computer Controlled » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:31 am

I love the XT! I had one for a bit, and regretted having to sell it. I'd trade my K5000S for one in a second!

User avatar
toonelind
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:18 am
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Contact:

Post by toonelind » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:22 am

I've been lusting for polyanalogue for a long time. Recentely a friend lent me his matrix 1000, which lead to fact, that I sold my micron and bought matrix 6r. I had a long and difficult relation with micron, because I never got to like the sound and the envelopes and the general response of the machine, while playing. Still micron can do some really nice sounds, but I didn't manage to program it to play the sounds I wanted from it.
So I got matrix, hoping that it will replace micron and possibly also KS4 in my live setup. At the moment it's is a bit early to judge, because I've had only two sessions with it, but the thing I noticed, that matrix is covering a huge range of frequencies, making the sound of the band noisy.
So I realised, that instead of fullrange analog signal, what I needed was an instrument with a digitally bright and clear nature, because there are already two really meaty analogue synths in the band.

So now I'm thinking about Microwave XT, because I've covered most of the VA-s and I'm really happy with my KS4. Unfortunately due to my location it's really hard to try something, before buying. So I'll have to rely on inner feelings and others comments.

So what do you think. Will Microwave XT sit in live space rock band with live drums, quitar, analogue bass from ATC-X, analogue lead from Vermona synthesizer and chord backing from KS4, Nord Electro and Matrix.




...and no, I don't play all these synths by myself :)
the general idea of our earlier sound from a youtube video

User avatar
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2860
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:15 am
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline
Location: Synth Garden
Contact:

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:23 am

toonelind wrote:So I realised, that instead of fullrange analog signal, what I needed was an instrument with a digitally bright and clear nature, because there are already two really meaty analogue synths in the band. I'm thinking about Microwave XT, because I've covered most of the VA-s and I'm really happy with my KS4. Will Microwave XT sit in live space rock band with live drums, quitar, analogue bass from ATC-X, analogue lead from Vermona synthesizer and chord backing from KS4, Nord Electro and Matrix.
I think the Korg Z1 is very good for bright and clear digital sounds. While the XT is always have certain warmth and smoothness in it's sounds. Sure the XT can be bright and clear too, but the Z1 have a better nature of it. As for the band, yes the XT will be able to sit there, loud and proud! Even it will liven things up with it's unique ability and great audio quality.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

User avatar
toonelind
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:18 am
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Contact:

Post by toonelind » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:08 pm

crystalmsc wrote: I think the Korg Z1 is very good for bright and clear digital sounds. While the XT is always have certain warmth and smoothness in it's sounds. Sure the XT can be bright and clear too, but the Z1 have a better nature of it. As for the band, yes the XT will be able to sit there, loud and proud! Even it will liven things up with it's unique ability and great audio quality.
Many people suggest Z1, but isn't a bit difficult to programm and sterile sounding?

I'm not much if a menue diver, but at the same time I like to programm my own sounds. I had wavestation for a while, but it was a bit too difficult to program for me via one data wheel. Microwave seems to have it all nicely laid out on the surface.

MitchK1989
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:46 am
Location: Nova Scotia

Post by MitchK1989 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:30 pm

the Korg Z1 doesn't make it difficult to get at parameters... Just there's so many of them...

Post Reply