waldorf microwave xt / xtk

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
polardark

Post by polardark » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:07 pm

Well, i picked up the microwave xt at the post office and got it set up. Have to admit i want to dislike this thing - but it's no use. It sounds damn good and the controls aren't as awkward as i thought they would be - although it's a bit perplexing to have multiple controls for the same things.

I know, my opinions after playing with this thing for like 30 minutes now are next-to-worthless, but i like it. I have a feeling i'll keep this one for quite some time.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:44 pm

Huppo wrote:AIf you aren't sure about the whole Whale Village thing, then get a MicroQ rack. It will be a great intro to Waldorf, complete with some wavetables for you to check out if te MW series works for you. Mind you the Q doesnt have the 8 stage envelopes or anything. but wavetables are fun, no matter what you have to squirt them through. Or Not.
I don't quite getcha on the Whale Village quote? :?: :)

Is it safe to say that the Q was introduced to compete with the other VA stuff appearing at the time (with some concession to the wave crowd by inclusion of wavetables), and that the microwave/xt line is basically a continuation of the wavetable stuff that they have been doing forever?

I guess comparing these two is why I always get confused-both the xt and Q have a wide variety of filters/mod-routings/efx, and share the same basic subtractive synths structure, etc., so what is the real distinction in their sound?
Do you even post on vse bro?

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:04 pm

Wal = Whale Dorf=Village

Yes, the Q is basically VA, the XT/XTK is a wavetable synth

The distinction in the sound largely comes from the difference in oscillators, the Q is mostly intended as a VA, there are 2 wavetables, but they're in ROM, so no making your own. The XT has a whole slew of wavetables (some of which are admittedly, supposed to sound like osc sync and other standard VA features, these are legacy tables from the PPG I think), plus you can make your own with the Soundtower editor.
Also, if you want oddities, the XT's filters do a lot more towards that (the Waveshaper, the S/H filter, etc.)
virb.com/ookpikk

zobomix

Post by zobomix » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:14 pm

zobomix wrote:
The MWXT may be a little weak in the bass department

Mind you, the XT isn't exactly weak in bass output:

http://support.waldorfmusic.de/soundcor ... audio=2116

Composition86 wrote:
Ok, I don't know if I would use it for strange noises, I have need of saw, tri and pulse wave.
You are right, I didn't explain myself well enough. What I meant is that the bass on the MWXT does not have the same raw sound of, say, a Pulse or VCO synth. The MWXT is more on the digital 'gummy' side in the bass department. I got both the Pulse and the MWXT for this reason, but everybody has different taste. Vive la difference.

Peace.

CTB

Post by CTB » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:22 pm

Zobo, I was pretty sure you were saying that. I just wanted to note that the XT has lots of bass, but perhaps not the bass styles/characters you note. We're agreeing, so that's cool. :D
CTB

polardark

Post by polardark » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:00 am

It seems to me like the envelopes aren't really snappy enough for proper bass or percussion sounds though.

Array

Post by Array » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:52 am

Sir Ruff wrote: I guess comparing these two is why I always get confused-both the xt and Q have a wide variety of filters/mod-routings/efx, and share the same basic subtractive synths structure, etc., so what is the real distinction in their sound?
They sound completely different, and not just the oscillators. I found the filters on my XTk to be a lot more "musical" than the digital ones on my Q+. Maybe its because the XTk can afford so many more processing cycles for emulating filters since the oscillators are lofi wavetables. It might just be the character of the filters which the Q is modeled after though, but then again, the PPG filters dont really sound like any SSM chip I've ever heard.

Anyhow, here is another XTk demo:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=545618

I cooked it up specifically to show that the XT/XTk is very capable of sounds typically associated with VA synthesizers. That brass sound set a new bar for me as far as VA's go. I cant get a brass nearly that nice on my Q+, even when using the analog filters.

West_Berliner
Gear: Nord Lead 2, Nord Modular, Virus C, Machinedrum SPS-1
Band: musique concrete

Post by West_Berliner » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:10 am

this thread makes me want an xt again....i guess ill have to get one then! but not until i get a Virus B or C.....

I didnt have the patience to program the xt when i had it...that said, i remember it sounding really digital and metallic, and I had a hard time getting it to fit into my music.....
"Destruction is not negative. you must destroy to build" - Blixa Bargeld

aeon

Post by aeon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:39 am

polardark wrote:I know, my opinions after playing with this thing for like 30 minutes now are next-to-worthless, but i like it. I have a feeling i'll keep this one for quite some time.
I knew in 30 mins that I would own my XTk forever. :D

cheers,
Ian

CTB

Post by CTB » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:53 am

aeon wrote:I knew in 30 mins that I would own my XTk forever. :D

cheers,
Ian
I second that. 8)
CTB

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:20 am

Array wrote:I found the filters on my XTk to be a lot more "musical" than the digital ones on my Q+.
exactly, it's my favorite digital filter that fit very well with the engine.
CTB wrote:I just wanted to note that the XT has lots of bass
agree, it can do big bass as I sometime prefer it over the pulse or other..with it's own bass character.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:33 pm

Huppo wrote: ..the XT is practically a celebration of digital error.
This quote has revitalized my love for this synth. I thank you sir.
virb.com/ookpikk

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:14 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:
Huppo wrote: ..the XT is practically a celebration of digital error.
This quote has revitalized my love for this synth. I thank you sir.
:D :D :D
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

F5D

Post by F5D » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:07 pm

http://www.quandace.com/f5d_xtk_demo.mp3

Tweaking one of the preset performances...
F5D @ SoundCloud, futuresounddesign.com - sounds for your synthesizers