What is your live set up?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:26 am

synths\drum machines:

Roland Jupiter 4
Roland Juno 6
Moog Rogue
Roland TR707
Roland SPD-S
Boss DR770

We're always trying to simplify it but it's hard. Very hard.

CloudOnAFly

Post by CloudOnAFly » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:34 am

badmrfrosty wrote: Anyone from BC here?
I grew up in surrey / north delta /vancouver..
wasn't till i moved to southern washington (vancouver,wa) that i started to play synths..

that aside.

i'm thinking of adding my es-1 and my tm-1 to my live setup..
they play really nice together
...simply put..

Metasonix is the choice for all self respecting meta-humans...
(meta-humans currently known are trolls, orcs, dwarves, dragons.....)

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:29 pm

The bassline from the EMX goes out to a Yamaha MG mixer, aux send to the Filterbank, everything is sync'ed to the EMX, including MIDI-CV thru the 777 out to the FB for envelope triggers. Kicks from EMX & ESX are also sent to a discreet mixer channel. This really helps to keep the low end in order.

I leave the Pulse, jv2080 and Matrix1000 in the rack at home. Everything else is on two 2-tier platforms : the Prophecy & ms2000 on the first, the second supports the emx/esx/777/filterbank being on a 3' x 4' gatorboard platform on top, the SN2 beneath.

All I need to do is build a rig to move/house all this stuff for easy set-up. As it is now I need a good half hour to se tup and route everything where it needs to be for sync and mixing.
I'm also looking into getting a small ~2000watt EAW speaker system to avoid rentals.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Denms20
Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Post by Denms20 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:14 pm

I wonder if there's a correlation to age and size of on the road rig?
For instance, when I was in my twenties, it was a Hohner D-6, a Korg Poly 61, an MS-10 and MS-20, a yamaha CP-25, and a Korg Lambda. A hammond also went with me for a bit there.

Now, it's either the Korg CX-3 OR the JX-8P. One time I got adventurous and midi'd the TX-7 to the JX, but with all the extra cables it was too stressful, let alone the fact I had to bring a mixer along then. THat increased the weight of my cable bag around a pound. Looking at my above list from my twenties makes me want to cry or take a muscle relaxant at least.
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com

mwbassguy
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mwbassguy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:23 pm

Amos wrote:Also I eventually want to add live percussion, with industrial samples being triggered from my Zendrum. I think that would go over well onstage.
a band i played with (the one in which the guitarist had four amps) the drummer had a zendrum from back in their "future rock" days, though he used it about as often as the guitarist used his midi pickup.
an avatar and a sig make one's posts more easily recognizable.

CloudOnAFly

Post by CloudOnAFly » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:42 pm

mwbassguy wrote:
Amos wrote:Also I eventually want to add live percussion, with industrial samples being triggered from my Zendrum. I think that would go over well onstage.
a band i played with (the one in which the guitarist had four amps) the drummer had a zendrum from back in their "future rock" days, though he used it about as often as the guitarist used his midi pickup.
guitarists not using em much?

i would love to use one ><

edit:
infact I should totally bring my bass synth out for shows....
...simply put..

Metasonix is the choice for all self respecting meta-humans...
(meta-humans currently known are trolls, orcs, dwarves, dragons.....)

badmrfrosty
No Longer Registered

Post by badmrfrosty » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:57 am

""I wonder if there's a correlation to age and size of on the road rig? ""

LOL

You bet. Also, for me, the good ol' days of touring with a road crew and truck/cube van etc, have mostly been replaced with bands that all just show up at gigs in our own ride!
I work with a sax player in London that brings an Alto and a tenor on his motorcycle, I kid you not.

The only difference, kensms20, is I kept all my goodies! :twisted:

Heh heh, hust kidding. I've parted with a few prime boards over the years, including a mint rhodes for $250, sigh

Although I can honestly say I never would have parted with that D-6!!!...hope she was worth it, mate!

No, less is more, sometimes, live. In fact the time I spent touring with just my CS-6x and MS-2000 2 years ago, I really got a chance to explore these boards...and the more I liked them...I'll never sell either.

Ever do that? Where you get a fantastic piece of kit, but before you even scratch the surface (even after months), along comes another, and you only know %5 of what the first will do? Well, sometimes when you streamline your rig, you are often forced to "dig in" a bit more to the gear you have....

cheers
bMf

PS my live rig may be sparse at times, but my children await my return... 8)

Tofuik

Post by Tofuik » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:58 pm

CloudOnAFly wrote:
mwbassguy wrote:
guitarists not using em much?

i would love to use one ><

edit:
infact I should totally bring my bass synth out for shows....
one should always bring a bass or guitar synth to every show.
the cheese stands alone

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:56 pm

badmrfrosty wrote:""I wonder if there's a correlation to age and size of on the road rig? ""

LOL

You bet. Also, for me, the good ol' days of touring with a road crew and truck/cube van etc, have mostly been replaced with bands that all just show up at gigs in our own ride!
I work with a sax player in London that brings an Alto and a tenor on his motorcycle, I kid you not.

The only difference, kensms20, is I kept all my goodies! :twisted:

Heh heh, hust kidding. I've parted with a few prime boards over the years, including a mint rhodes for $250, sigh

Although I can honestly say I never would have parted with that D-6!!!...hope she was worth it, mate!

No, less is more, sometimes, live. In fact the time I spent touring with just my CS-6x and MS-2000 2 years ago, I really got a chance to explore these boards...and the more I liked them...I'll never sell either.

Ever do that? Where you get a fantastic piece of kit, but before you even scratch the surface (even after months), along comes another, and you only know %5 of what the first will do? Well, sometimes when you streamline your rig, you are often forced to "dig in" a bit more to the gear you have....

cheers
bMf

PS my live rig may be sparse at times, but my children await my return... 8)

:shock:

Whoa! From (this) keyboardist's perspective, that enveloping rig of vintage and contemporary gear is, well, GEAR!

You must NEVER be bored, EVER; I sure as heck wouldn't be. That rig is a bonafide girlfriend substitute! Who needs a lady when you have such a sleek, polished organ to play!

:lol:
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

moogplayer
Gear: minimoog, synare PS2, roland vp-330, monomachine, roland paraphonic rs-505, roland sh2, roland rs-09, boss dr-55, synsonics drums, moog prodigy

Post by moogplayer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:02 pm

what I bring to every show:

monomachine
atari 2600
synare PS1
roland vp330
yamaha MG10 mixer
yamaha MS400 powered monitors (2)
minimoog, synare PS2, roland vp-330, monomachine, roland paraphonic rs-505, roland sh2, roland rs-09, boss dr-55, synsonics drums, moog prodigy

Multiplex
http://multiplexmusic.bandcamp.com

Muniq
http://muniq.bandcamp.com

lanlan

Post by lanlan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:05 pm

Hi,

New to this forum :)

My live setup consists of a Motif 6 and either an alpha Juno-2 or a CS1X controlling a JV1080. Terms of footing, using a typical sustain pedal and a V-wah :)

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:06 am

All you folks that are using Live... Do you use the computer keyboard and mouse during a gig, or do you have it mapped 100% to a hardware controller?

EddieJ

Post by EddieJ » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:25 am

SecretAsianMan wrote:All you folks that are using Live... Do you use the computer keyboard and mouse during a gig, or do you have it mapped 100% to a hardware controller?
My computer is a tablet PC. I have the keyboard folded away and use a controller for notes, mutes and punch in/ out and the Wacom pen to select loops.
To be fair, my current setup hasn't gigged yet. I used to use an MC307 for the work my tablet now does. I also got a JV1010 for my bread and butter sounds.
EMX-1, ESX-1, MS2000R, Radias-R, XV2020, KS4, BassStation Rack, Live 6

Visit my music page on MySpace!

badmrfrosty
No Longer Registered

Post by badmrfrosty » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:22 am

""You must NEVER be bored, EVER; I sure as heck wouldn't be.""

LOL
You're right, RonP, although I was just as enthusiastic when I started with a Yamaha YC-20 organ patched through my little CS-5!!

I'm fortunate enough to have added to my collection through playing keyboards pro off and on for the past 20 years...

That "polished" organ is a mint 1964 hammond M3...the most under-rated keyboard in the world, IMO.
I have seen M-series go for $100, on Ebay! (pick-up only :-) ) I like the 3, because unlike the M100's it doesn't have the gay tabs along the top...

I got this little girl in Toronto last year, because Crest Rd studios is in the basement of a log house, and the C3 wouldn't go down the stairs!!
Honestly, it's just as fun to play, same tonewheel/keys etc etc....You often hear the criticism that it doesn't have "foldback" (sort of like doubled up drawbards in the top and bottom octaves) which makes it a little quieter on the highest octave...but judicial use of the pedals and pratice overcomes this.
Don't forget that Jon Lord himself rarely used more than the first 3 drawbars anyway! It's more R&B that needs foldback. Add a little overdrive to the M3 and it's identical to the B's and C's...

badmrfrosty
No Longer Registered

Post by badmrfrosty » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:34 am

EddieJ
That's a great live (and studio!) set-up bro
Checking out your myspace there, cool...

With the right road cases I'll bet most of that rig could fly under the 2 X 32 KG check-in rules!

Can't believe you got all that on 2 stands...you get the most densely populated synth award!