1 osc Roland SH-2 vs. Korg MS10

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

1 osc Roland SH-2 vs. Korg MS10

Post by premieklovn » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:49 am

Hi

I have the opportunity to buy a Roland SH-2 with some faults. The second osc is only working when it wants to and the same goes for the sub-osc. Its quite cheap and if the fault is easy to repair (my friends dad is into doing stuff like this) I would score a SH-2 for very little money.

If anyone here got some MP3s of this machine using both 1 and 2 oscs I would be very thankful.

I also have the opportunity to buy a fully working Korg MS10 but its more expensive than the half-broken SH2 and I can only afford one of them. So what should I do?
It would be lovely to end up with a 2 osc synth but I do risk ending up with a 1 osc on both deals.
Is the SH2 any good without the second osc and subosc? compared to the MS10?

The Korg MS10 looks more sexy too. hmm.

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:15 am

Well, the MS-10 is semi modular so you may add to it what you find lacking.

clueless

Post by clueless » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:35 am

How sure do you think your friends father is of fixing the problem? If he can, get the SH2. It will do more and do it better than the Korg. If he cant fix it then get the MS10. It's still a good synth. Be wary of the SH2 though.... one problem may well be the start of more to come. In a straight race the SH2 wins hands down. One of the meanest basses you will ever hear.

Bill_Schroder

Post by Bill_Schroder » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:55 am

I'm with Clueless. If the SH-2 can be fixed, buy it. Scratch that. Even if your friend's dad can't fix it, buy it anyways and send it to a real tech for fixin'. Trouble is, how many synth techs do you have in Norway? I have an SH-2 and can vouch for it 100%. Everytime I talk about it, I'm obligated to mention that the PWM on it kills. Bass like a f**k. :O

If you really want an MS-10 for the MS sound, you might well save up for an MS-20. To buy an MS-10 (in my mind) be a waste of money. Of course, that is just my opinion. I know how difficult it is to save money though...
Ouch.

premieklovn

Post by premieklovn » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:10 pm

clueless wrote:How sure do you think your friends father is of fixing the problem? If he can, get the SH2. It will do more and do it better than the Korg. If he cant fix it then get the MS10. It's still a good synth. Be wary of the SH2 though.... one problem may well be the start of more to come. In a straight race the SH2 wins hands down. One of the meanest basses you will ever hear.
Well he is quite good at doing technical stuff. He's built guitaramplifiers for our band and multi-powersupplies etc. so I don't doubt he can fix it but time is another issue. Another problem could be that the synth needs parts thats hard to come by.
But would you say that a MS10 would do me better as a 1osc synth than the SH2 with 1 osc?

ADD: Come on SH2 owners. I want to hear some sounds!

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:20 pm

i played ms-20 the other day. the fx, the routing,m the external processing - fantastic. however, bass is non existant. and cant say im that in love with bare sound of oscillators. filters are its best feature.

otoh, i have SH-2 that is not a very versatile machine, however it has this thick, healthy fat oscillator tone. killer bass when use with single vcos plus sub. SH vcos have more waveforms than MS. beautiful and rich sounding square, including PWM from envelope or lfo.

a filter input with env follower. not as flexible as MS tho.

second vco is good for making dbl saw and pure square leads, not that crucial when doin' characteristic bass. but sub osc is. if u you get original schematics etc. and someone who has expertise in this filed i'm pretty sure it can be fixed. maybe its bigger like getting new uA726, maybe its something sml, like contact problems, or dyin capacitors. in any case, once you open the beast i suggest changing all capacitors, for some new hi-q electrolytes or tantals , respectively.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:41 pm

There is a couple good synth techs in Norway, actually. I can put you in contact with them.

Anyway, the MS10's "Semi-modular" features are nothing other synths haven't had the past 25 years. They are just the most basic of sources and destinations, you can't "go nuts" and patch anything you like together. It's just "Filter to modwheel" or "VCO to modwheel", or you can use Square or Triangle/sawtooth outputs on the LFO from the panel. Plus separate outputs for pink and white noise you can mix with filter, vco, pwm or VCA.
You also patch up LFO -> PWM control on the panel. It's nothing special. But the sound is nice. I always wanna play with an MS20 whenever I tinker with mine, because it has so many more options.

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:48 pm

I had a Korg MS-10, and sold it last fall. The sound, for a 1 VCO, 1 LP Filter and 1 Envelope synth is really strong. In my opinon, allmost stronger than the MS-20 (Yes...)

Roland sound is definitly something else...so you should buy the synth with the sound that you prefer, or that you are feeling that you will use with your music style.

I don't want to say "Buy a MS-10", but give a listen to this little track, made with the MS-10 (and TR606 for drums and MK for vocoder) :

http://www.mousepadrecords.ch/ms20/Push ... 20Grey.mp3
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

WDW

Post by WDW » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:32 pm

spookyman wrote:I don't want to say "Buy a MS-10", but give a listen to this little track, made with the MS-10 (and TR606 for drums and MK for vocoder) :

http://www.mousepadrecords.ch/ms20/Push ... 20Grey.mp3
That is a fantastic arrangement of FTG. And the MS10 is- I'm at a loss for words.

Thanks for sharing that.

Cheers.

WD

P.S. FTG is the first cover that I ever did on synth...way back in the mid-80's.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:56 pm

Yeah.... that's really nice. Cheers - makes me want to get vocoding! And reminds me how useful the 606 is too. :)

premieklovn

Post by premieklovn » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:06 am

I love that clip. Found it a while ago when I searched the MS10.

I think im leaning towards the SH2 because of the price. This way I can afford a nice delay pedal too. Which is a must for me.
But still I like the sexy scientist look of the MS10 but thats rather shallow hah.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:33 am

you gotta be fuggin' kidding me...606, MS-10 & a MicroKorg? MK must be doing chords to?
That's good beyond words.

I played an MS-10 years ago and felt it was severely limited. Live and learn....simplicity can be most excellent
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:39 am

Working MS-10!!! Unless you are sure you can fix the other synth.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:16 am

Well, it depends on what you want really.

If you are looking for vintage discrete analogue for powerful bass and thick leads I'd risk the SH-2.

If you want that razory MS sound, don't mind just having one oscillator and want a bit more flexibility I'd spring for the MS-10.

Personally I'd take the SH-2 myself as I was h**l bent on getting either that or an Octave Cat. In the end I decided the Octave Cat was something I decided I really wanted, but if I didn't have one right now I might have an SH-2 in its place.

Regardless of what you choose I doubt you'll be disappointed though.

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:43 am

Guys, I'm sure the decision has long since been made. This thread is six months old, check the dates. :wink:
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.