your drum machine

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:47 pm

Actually, while we're on the topic of drums, I don't really like doing beats in cubase, I much prefer the drumbox way of working, then syncing things up. But with so many machines things can get complicated. I was looking at the MPC500 this week, and was wondering how this would work as a way of sampling my existing machines and throwing together other sampled sounds, and using that instead of half a dozen different boxes? I'd keep all my boxes, but would build sample libraries in the MPC, and it seems like a sensible solution to have all those under one roof (so to speak) with nice bashable pads to play with... I have an akai S3000XL but haven't got to grips with it...

any opinions? JSRockit? I know you have one of these...

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:02 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Actually, while we're on the topic of drums, I don't really like doing beats in cubase, I much prefer the drumbox way of working, then syncing things up. But with so many machines things can get complicated. I was looking at the MPC500 this week, and was wondering how this would work as a way of sampling my existing machines and throwing together other sampled sounds, and using that instead of half a dozen different boxes? I'd keep all my boxes, but would build sample libraries in the MPC, and it seems like a sensible solution to have all those under one roof (so to speak) with nice bashable pads to play with... I have an akai S3000XL but haven't got to grips with it...

any opinions? JSRockit? I know you have one of these...
The MPC would work for what you want to do... but I wouldn't advise sampling all your machines and then sequencing the samples in the MPC... using the MPC like a multitrack recorder....Your results will be very lo-fi....unless you are trying to make everything sound perfect before it goes into the MPC. Also, the MPC500 has too much menu diving vs. the MPC1000. The MPC1000 is far friendlier...that's something to consider.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Spike Vincent
Location: People's Republic of The Forest of Dean,and why isn't there a Welsh flag option?Eh?

Post by Spike Vincent » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:36 pm

Boss DR 5 and Boss DR 660.
Currently plugged in to the mixer :
Korg EA1,Korg MS10 and some shortwave radios.

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:36 pm

Korg EMX-1 for clean smooth PCM drums + Korg ES-1 for dirty lo fi samples

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:25 pm

JSRockit wrote:The MPC would work for what you want to do... but I wouldn't advise sampling all your machines and then sequencing the samples in the MPC... using the MPC like a multitrack recorder....Your results will be very lo-fi....unless you are trying to make everything sound perfect before it goes into the MPC. Also, the MPC500 has too much menu diving vs. the MPC1000. The MPC1000 is far friendlier...that's something to consider.
I think I'm going to have to look into the specs in more detail... would be nice to have individual outputs, but the 1000 is beyond my pocket right now.

Tim-N

Post by Tim-N » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:32 pm

tr-808
and anyday now my XBase09 will arrive

would love a XBase999 tho or maybe MD-UW or ...
I'm addicted to drums and BD's
the shadow has fallen

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:04 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
JSRockit wrote:The MPC would work for what you want to do... but I wouldn't advise sampling all your machines and then sequencing the samples in the MPC... using the MPC like a multitrack recorder....Your results will be very lo-fi....unless you are trying to make everything sound perfect before it goes into the MPC. Also, the MPC500 has too much menu diving vs. the MPC1000. The MPC1000 is far friendlier...that's something to consider.
I think I'm going to have to look into the specs in more detail... would be nice to have individual outputs, but the 1000 is beyond my pocket right now.
A used, 1st gen MPC1000 used is less than a MPC500 new.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

rivas3
Band: Bad Employees

Post by rivas3 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:30 pm

elektron md-uw
elektron monomachine
akai mpc200xl
synths

-rivas3

drgarbage

Post by drgarbage » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:35 pm

MPC-60 12bit
MPC-1000 16bit
Emax1 12bit
Battery3 (never use it though)

MPC 1000's are 829 new @ rogue music and used ones are around $550-650 (here in L.A.)

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:39 pm

personally ... I just have an Akai MPC1000 and Akai S612. Sending my old KPR-77 to friend today.

My friends take care of me.. they have a bunch of stuff that I can freely use ...

TR-909 modded
TR-808
TR-727 (I also have tons of samples from my old Table Beast modded unit)
TR-707
TR-626
TR-606 modded (a couple around .. all modded a little different ... might be gettin a kickless version free soon)
Oberheim DX
Pearl Syncussion
CR-8000
Some old organ-sucide stuff kicking around.
I sample my SH-7 when I run of ideas and records to sample.

I want to buy a Yamaha RM50 soon.

30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Post by 30h5 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:09 pm

I get by on Redrum and my JX-305. \:D/

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:28 pm

Mainly two machines : Roland CR-78 and Yamaha RX-5

And i'm looking for an Oberheim DX, DMX...I'm digging that 80's sample sound !
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

CloudOnAFly

Post by CloudOnAFly » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:17 am

Korg es-1.

I run it through my oc-2 to get a little more low end out of it. then string it through my mf ringmod -> tm-5 -> tm-5

yeah in other words..

it's loud...
...simply put..

Metasonix is the choice for all self respecting meta-humans...
(meta-humans currently known are trolls, orcs, dwarves, dragons.....)

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:32 am

the only drum machine miss is the LinnDrum. Samples don't do the justice.

shagghie

Post by shagghie » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:56 am

what you can't see in the picture is the Mbase01 next to the Dr. Walker and the JazBase racked underneath...

As far as gas goes, the 999 is the shizdango bomba della century. I owned one for 2 weeks before wife caught me with it and I had to sell it.

user waves, and the best kick drum (even better than the Mbase01) and hardest hitting, most dynamic audio I've ever heard out of any drum machine, anywhere, under any circumstances, ever, period, ever. The on-board compression helps, but there's some thing else, something positively memorizing about it's sound and performance/workflow. A total joy to use, and well, there aren't enough good things to say about it....the total is MUCH greater than the sum of its parts too, so just b/c it has a lot of deatures (like a sequencable filterbank), etc. doesn't mean anything...compared to the overall hard hitting, dynamic sound and fluid workflow. cure your gas for good.