your drum machine

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
TX81ZJH
Gear: Yamaha TX81Z, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Casio SK-1, Akai MPD-16, Linux Multimedia Studio
Band: FYYRATÈA

Post by TX81ZJH » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

I use two things, a drum setup on my TX81Z and the emulated TR-808 on the software ReBirth on my mac.
"KĒSMUS PRŪSISKAN AMZIS"
--Joshua E. Horn

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:35 am

I use an MC-909. I also have Tuna Fish (software sequencer - dead simple to use, but great) and about 8000 old drum machine samples. I need to import my Korg KR-55 samples in the 909 and I'll be happy, though. I do have a Yamaha DD-5 that I can use to trigger the 909, but I never use the sounds onboard - I do not like them. Finally, I have a currently non-functioning Mattel Synsonics kit that I need to repair. I do like those sounds!

For whatever reason, I just don't like using "real" or "acoustic" drum sounds (sampled or otherwise) when I use a machine. The more non-authentic it sounds, the better I like it.

I guess I feel that if I wanted acoustic drums, I'd find a drummer or do it myself, but ... well ... I dunno!

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

soniczev

Post by soniczev » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:37 am

Just read my gear list.

oh i wish i had an ER-1

anyone wanna sell me theirs cheap?
:shock:
All my life needed was a sense of someplace to go. I don't believe that one should devote his life to morbid self-attention. I believe that someone should become a person like other people.

:shock:

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:03 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote: For whatever reason, I just don't like using "real" or "acoustic" drum sounds (sampled or otherwise) when I use a machine. The more non-authentic it sounds, the better I like it.

I guess I feel that if I wanted acoustic drums, I'd find a drummer or do it myself, but ... well ... I dunno!
i feel the same way. i know lots of people use sampled drums (authentic, organic, "real", whatever you call them) to great effect, but give me a fully synth kit any day. about the closest i come to "real" drums is the occasional snare, heavily warped to make it sound "bigger", but usually, i just a like a snappy burst of noise.

animehair
Gear: DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
DSI Tetra
Jomox Xbase09 SE
Gentoo Linux DAW
Band: Through Samaria

Post by animehair » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:18 pm

MFB-502 Drumcomputer, Its all I got and Im proud of it...when i need something a little more powerful sounding i use synthesized drum and percussion sounds from the Mono Evolver...and sometimes I use the mfb-502 with the MEK percussion/drum sounds together in a mix.

HOWEVER, Eventually I would like to own the BoomChick (when released), the Vermona DRM1 MKII, SCI Tom, and SCI Drumtraks (I have a feeling that the BoomChick will contain the TOM and Drumtraks digital/analog samples just as the evolver's digital waveforms were from the VS...it is not a fact just speculation, I really have no clue...im probably way off with my guess, but the boomchick is suppose to have "real analog percussion and normal sample playback")

Zonkout
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Post by Zonkout » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:02 pm

I love the clunky preset boxes. Programming bores me (unless it is random).

donaldm
Gear: modular synthesizer
Location: pedal depressed pan chromatic resonance and other highly ambient domain

Post by donaldm » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:31 pm

my fave lately has been my drumtraks samples loaded up in my EPS. i guess thats kinda like a drum machine.

jayman
Gear: juno106, juno60, tr 707, sh-1000, volca bass/beats microkorg, arp odyssey (mk 1), drumtraks, mopho, microbrute, zoom tr3b, cz 3000, kurzwiel k2600,
Band: PHAEDRIDER
Location: casa de freakin oro california, jewel of the east county

Post by jayman » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:34 am

Zonkout wrote:Image

i love love love my tr 77. ialso had a chance to buy one of them ace drum machines for 30 bucks.. i did not.. i hope i don't regret it..
as far as th dream machine goes i was wondering if the colored mylar does anything as one has their eyes closed when they stare at it..
i totally dig how our ears can hear all this s**t and and we don't even do like half of it with normal instruments, and then all we gotta do is hook a speaker up to some circuits and move those circuits around and we can push our hearing to it's limits

dthestampede

Post by dthestampede » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:46 am

right now, a korg em1x, quasimidi siruis, and elektron monomachine. looking to make a couple hustle moves and get a xbase 999.
I am infected with noises in my brain, the sound of pain and it is constant. Soon I will release music so horrible that hopefully you too will be infected. Slayer, wolf eyes, johnny cash, justin timberlake f**king rock!

celeber

Post by celeber » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:19 am

i'm using the zoom sb246, and it actually isn't bad for the price.

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:56 am

the Ensoniq EPS is wicked it been along time since i have even seen one
i wish i could find one i bet they rock for drum sampling
does any one know of any tracks mostly done on the EPS

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:47 am

You know, Celeber, I've always thought Zoom was severely underrated - they're very functional, sound pretty good and are a breeze to use. If they all had midi in/out (like they did on the 323), they'd be good to go, you know? So how does the phrase sampler (or whatever they call it) work?

Yeah, I know ... I love old, pre-programmed machines and Zooms ... go figure!

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

mirt

Post by mirt » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:48 pm

bohm digital drums (great toms, bongo and congas on eprom)
Lel UDS soviet electronic drums (from clicks to loooow bass drones)
roland r8 (great only for triggering lel UDS and other analog drum synths)

joerg721

Post by joerg721 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:38 pm

Zonkout wrote:Image

Hah! Look there.

Other drum computers in use (usually all running at the same time):

wesleymino

Post by wesleymino » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:54 pm

Phenom wrote:I just cannot get rid of the RY30, the clarity is outstanding, it beats most modern drum machines. The realtime mod is good(ish), and certainly better than any other rompler drumbox i can think of. I don't find it difficult to edit, and I guess I'm one of the few people who rather like Yamaha operating systems, a wee bit long-winded, but very precise, almost the opposite end of the spectrum from an X0X. I guess my only complaint is that I wish there were more samples, but it's very much a product of its time (more SY synth than DR660) and I'd rather have the clarity of 48kHz samples and 20 bit converters than a few more analogue samples. Still capable of exciting new sounds even today.
The RY30 is a high quality drum machine, very clean, punchy sound. I used it along with TR626 and Emu ESI 32 for drums. It had the most cutting sound of the three. Very programmable too, with options for editing decay/filter/pitch/vel./etc. per step in the sequencer. Also has that mod wheel which is rather unique, but for some reason it never worked on mine. I suspect this is the effect being used on the tambourine sound in Aphex's "Acrid Avid Jam Shred." you can also hear the "typewriter" sound in 'Alberto Balsalm.' I ended up selling it however because I got tired of the overall quality of the sound, which is kinda metallic and cold. I kept the 626 and sampler, even the 626 internal sounds I prefer for some reason, they have a warm, classic sound. But I miss that old RY sometimes.

Now I use the TR-626 primarily, controlling Akai s3000xl and Esi-32.
Last edited by wesleymino on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.