your drum machine

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:21 pm

The drumtraks is cool. It's so easy to open with the hinges on the inside, to change roms. I have a TOM but it seems to have a problem with ground. It was fine and then one day it got weird. Probably something easy...I think.

...wow it's nice to see DjFetus' location was never changed back. Some vengeful mod power in full effect.

jayman
Gear: juno106, juno60, tr 707, sh-1000, volca bass/beats microkorg, arp odyssey (mk 1), drumtraks, mopho, microbrute, zoom tr3b, cz 3000, kurzwiel k2600,
Band: PHAEDRIDER
Location: casa de freakin oro california, jewel of the east county

Post by jayman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:36 am

RobotHeroes wrote:The drumtraks is cool. It's so easy to open with the hinges on the inside, to change roms. I have a TOM but it seems to have a problem with ground. It was fine and then one day it got weird. Probably something easy...I think.

yep.. this one came with a digi design bass chip, and when i opened it up it was pretty spotless inside.. i really love it.. the sound is awesome... i chose it over a tr 707, which (1) i never saw for what i got this one for (2) the sounds are more editable (3) my want ad on craigs list was answered within hours by a guy in hollywood who had one for my price AND it came with the case and MANUAL(thank heavens)
i totally dig how our ears can hear all this s**t and and we don't even do like half of it with normal instruments, and then all we gotta do is hook a speaker up to some circuits and move those circuits around and we can push our hearing to it's limits

Five

Post by Five » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:57 am

LINN DRUM!!!

flubbo

Post by flubbo » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:07 am

I figured I'd make my first post here. :)

I use the Roland TD-20. Awesome realistic drum sounds.

When a human drummer comes by to jam, I just hook the head back up to the V-drums.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:18 am

I just bought an 808 on impulse... am I an idiot?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SA:US:1123
for sale/trade: EML-101

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:29 am

Nada, that's a nice looking 808, espcially when they're fetching close to $2K these days.

I'll never part with mine (with Kenton MIDI):

I've also got Boss DR-220E, Elektron SPS-1 UW mkII, Novation DrumStation 2, Roland CR-78, R8M, TR-606 & TR626 and Simmons SDSV.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:06 am

thanks for the reassurance Z!

Been realizing I make most of my tracks with cheap 808 samples... so I thought h**l I might as well get the real thing and yeah it looks like it's in great shape!

There is a sync/midi box on ebay right now for $50 so I'm thinking I better get it since I don't have any other din sync devices.

$1500-2000 really isn't even that bad I've been realizing because how much would it cost brand new these days? probably about the same.

I kind of want to get it modded to h**l, I'm not really a stickler for cosmetics or collectability, I just want cool sound in my music.

cheers

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:35 am

nadafarms wrote:I just bought an 808 on impulse... am I an idiot?

thats a decent price too.....if you decide that you dont like it, you can flipp it to Euroland and make a few $$$$$.

I would highly recommend getting a dinsync/midi box....It's nice to have around if you want to slave the 808 to something midi
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:07 pm

It's amazing how many choices we have to convert MIDI to DIN these days - from Kenton MIDI/CV boxes, DrumStations, right down to $50 box. Back in the early 90's, I used a Roland MSQ-700 to sync my 808 to MIDI before getting the Kenton kit installed.

Nada, from what I can tell, it's a good looking machine. Maybe too good to mod. It's your box, though. I think list price on those was $1200, back in 1980. With inflation, that'd make it over $3K today! You're right about one thing - "ain't nothing like the real thing, baby!" Have fun!

cletus

Post by cletus » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:29 pm

I use a Machine Drum UW MKII for composing most of my drum tracks. I use it along with a jomox airbase, and soft synths such as attck and Battery. We also have a Korg ESX-1, an ER-1, and a TR-808 at our studio. It's an incredibly inspiring instrument to use but It can be a chalenge not to over use it. if you get the UW you'll be able to get around that by sampling your own sounds. I really dig the variety of sounds can get out of this box but the subtlety and minimal use of it seems to work the best for me. Throw in some analog kick and snare samples ( My favoite being my own home made Kicks and snares off the pro one or the ms20) and you'll have the best of both worlds.The UW always seems to fit well in a mix as long as it was recorded properly as well. Can't go wrong w elektron!

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:00 pm

Interesting to see this pop back up from the depths.

Now:

Boss Dr-55 x 2
Roland TR-606
Korg ER-1
Linn Drum
Introspectiv 9090

I kind of wish I'd kept the RZ-1, and would love an 808...

cletus

Post by cletus » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:16 pm

I've heard great things about these 808 samples as well:

http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/tape808.html

Never actually used them as I have an 808 already but if I ever decided i no longer wanted mine, would definititley make a kit w the samples for my MD UW MKII. Would probably run em through my api's for little extra phatness and the 12 bit sample engine in the MD would really get some grit on that kick. It really makes a huge difference running samples throgh external gear i.e eq, comps, and even mic pre's and I think the tape idea is great as most people don't have access to a high quality to a high qualtty tape machine. It's the litle things that make the biggest diferece....

cletus

Post by cletus » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:40 pm

nadafarms wrote:I just bought an 808 on impulse... am I an idiot?

We'll you know what it sounds like and it's definitely has major cultural signifigance in electronic music+ got a fair price on it. My favorite part about mine is using it w/ the juno 60 or Pron One and using the clock out puts to clock the arpeggiator. So hard to get an 808 sound like anything other than an 808 though and it's definitely been overused. Proccessing the s**t out of em tends to make stand out more than a raw 808 drum beat. I also like blending snare or kick from other different machines (like the MD) witht the claps on the 808. You got yourself a kenton yet?

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:31 pm

I haven't got a sync/midi box yet so I'll need to do that asap.

I realize they have been overused, but I'm thinking of using all the ind. outs to send them into different outboard effects/filters etc.

I would really like to get my 808 modified....

Check out the future retro XS processing it:

Something about the xbase-888, the machinedrum just didn't quite do it for me and I remember how much fun I had with a simple tr-606... I have never even played a real tr-808!!!!!

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:16 am

@novielo: The MDP-40 is great in it's way. It's so dirty. It's really low quality samples. The the kick and snare are short and wierd. Same with the clap. The cymbals are sooooooooooo raw! You can hear it on my first track here:
http://www.myspace.com/tyler2000
so what do I put down here now?