With hybrids all the rage, why not CS/DX , Juno/JD etc ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Postby Taxidermy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:24 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Taxidermy wrote:...However, I would say those are hybrid, as they have tubes to warmen up the sound a bit.

Well you'd be completely wrong then, the tube is just sitting on the wire between the DAC and the output, it's nothing to do with the sound creation.

I dissagree. Every part in the synthesizer - effects, filters, oscilators - go towards the sound creation.
Taxidermy

Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Postby divineaudio » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:49 pm

Hove portamento overdrive wrote:I never quite understood that business with the electribes. The tubes certainly play a big part in their marketing.

the tubes are just that. marketing.

also note that korg now sells a standalone tube preamp that is essentially the same circuit found in the electribes and triton extreme.
divineaudio

Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Postby Hove portamento overdrive » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:21 am

re: an earlier post, it's definitely true that the evolvers are becoming better known .

As people have said on the Nord thread , DCO/VA hybrids would be great too.
Hove portamento overdrive

Postby jko » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:14 am

Another interesting suggestion from several people on a number of threads has been a new hybrid rompler or va /+ analog oscillator string synth, - I could see a lot of interest in this, as there have been no new old-style string synths for 25 years but they remain popular on the second hand market.
jko

Postby brian.only » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:20 am

I would love to see a new analog stringer w/ aftertouch and full polyphony.
sell me your KS5!
brian.only

Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Postby supermel74 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:39 pm

Hove portamento overdrive wrote:I never quite understood that business with the electribes. The tubes certainly play a big part in their marketing.
Contrary to popular belief, they do actually make a difference in sound. When I had the EMX, it was just a subtle volume spike, but on the ESX, it really warms up the sound.
supermel74

Postby supermel74 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:41 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:Well if hybrids are so popular then how can the ESQ-1 and DW-8000 both be worth so little? ;)
Because they don't look very appealing and lack a knobby interface.
supermel74

Postby jko » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:13 pm

brian.only wrote:I would love to see a new analog stringer w/ aftertouch and full polyphony.

agreed.
jko

Postby Dano » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:53 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:Well if hybrids are so popular then how can the ESQ-1 and DW-8000 both be worth so little? ;)

If I were to put on my classical economist's hat (and I'm not one BTW) then I'd say that in the case of the ESQ-1 the answer lies mainly on the supply side because there were so many produced...but somewhat on the demand side also because ESQs weren't closely associated with famous bands using them so many people today overook them; right or wrong, nothing else lends as much credibility in the synthworld as a synth's use on famous songs.

The DW-8000 was at least openly used by Depeche Mode; Alan Wilder I think.
Dano

Postby DIGITAL SCREAMS » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:14 pm

In my opinion virtual analog has just about run its course. Manufacturers beed to do something to re-kindle interest....more poly, more effects and a couple of other things thrown in is not going to sustain a company in the long run. I think Waldorf have made the right move with their new stromberg > http://www.waldorfmusic.de/en/products/stromberg Adding true analog filters and tubes to the deal is a very good way forward.

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

DIGITAL SCREAMS

Band: Digital Screams

Postby Dustin » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:42 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:In my opinion virtual analog has just about run its course. Manufacturers beed to do something to re-kindle interest....more poly, more effects and a couple of other things thrown in is not going to sustain a company in the long run. I think Waldorf have made the right move with their new stromberg > http://www.waldorfmusic.de/en/products/stromberg Adding true analog filters and tubes to the deal is a very good way forward.

DS

I couldn't agree more. VA is on its last leg, and it seems Waldorf has the right idea. Now all the other manufacturers need to take note.
Dustin

Postby Hove portamento overdrive » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:25 pm

good post, DS ; Is the stromberg actually on sale yet ?
Hove portamento overdrive

Postby GeneralBigbag » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:53 pm

Dustin wrote: VA is on its last leg,

Um...
Because it's getting more accurate in emulating analog circuitry?
Because it's getting cheaper?
Becaues there's a proven demand?
virb.com/ookpikk
GeneralBigbag

Postby hyphen nation » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:38 pm

not being too familiar with the electribes circuit, I could potentially see the tubes "smoothing" out the digital signal. The tubes natural compression taking the tooth off the digital signal.
My extremely limited understanding of tubes, in this case, pre-amp tubes, is that they can't maintain a constant signal flow. They essentially "breath" based on signal levels...

So, while not being terribly into the electribes, and not playing one with tubes against one without them, I could see, in theory that the tubes could "warm up" a signal...

The fact that they have to place a light behind them, instead of having them glow on their own, makes me think that they are about marketing/aesthetics, not sound, however...

just my .02
hyphen nation

Gear: boxes that make noises

Postby Dustin » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:51 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:
Dustin wrote: VA is on its last leg,

Um...
Because it's getting more accurate in emulating analog circuitry?
Because it's getting cheaper?
Becaues there's a proven demand?

They still have a long way to go in the accuracy department. Not to say that VST's like Prophet-V, CS-80V etc aren't accurate, but some of the hardware VA's are tough to work with (in my experience). That said, I would like to pursue a Virus TI. Tried one, loved it. It would certainly be useful for the kind of music I make (Vangelis/Jarre-like).

Not trying to say that all VA synths are bad, but like DS pointed out, adding more polyphony and effects won't keep the demand going forever.
Dustin

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers