best filter module....??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
prophei

best filter module....??

Post by prophei » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:47 am

i am sure that this has been discussed on some level before, but i would like to get some opinions related to my particular search.

i have a number of filters, most of them really far out sounding and crazy. i would like to know what opinions you have about the best "non" dirty filter. which is thick and creamy? which would make great moog or oberheim basses? which have LP / HP/ BP options?

you get the idea....

i am currently on the eurorack format, but am looking to possibly add other formats to my system, so any format would be considered and is useful to me.

Thanks!!
andromeda > polyevolver keyboard > ms-20 > oberheim two voice > arp 2600 > minimoog > custom modular system > polivoks > roland SVC-350 > jomox mbase01 > sh2 > acidlab > tr-808 > drumtrax > korg dvp-1 > protools hd3 > mac dual 2.0 G5

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:35 am

pretty much the best and anything you want and more:
http://www.schippmann-music.com/ebbeundflut.html

Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:23 am

crystalmsc wrote:pretty much the best and anything you want and more:
http://www.schippmann-music.com/ebbeundflut.html
Got a mixed review in this month's SOS though.

ford442
Band: Noah Cohn

Post by ford442 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:41 am

i was just thinking of posting this exact question - how is the FilterFactory? i waited like 2 years for them to roll out the new units - now i think i might just get an old one of ebay...

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:07 am

the Waldorf Filter I love..cheaper and great! http://www.keyboardmuseum.org/ar/w/wald/xpole.html
not as complete..no BP and HP..just great dual 12/24db low pass with stereo I/O and amp with panning..or talking about creamy and moog bass, consider also an ATC-X Quad Filter System..it's a filter module with 4 filter types (including SEM and moog replica) and a built in mono synth :lol: or even the SE1x for more moog bass..look also for their Modmax filter.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:29 am

Those aren't modular synth filters gang. ;)

prophei

Post by prophei » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:07 pm

yes... modular style would be the best... thanks!
andromeda > polyevolver keyboard > ms-20 > oberheim two voice > arp 2600 > minimoog > custom modular system > polivoks > roland SVC-350 > jomox mbase01 > sh2 > acidlab > tr-808 > drumtrax > korg dvp-1 > protools hd3 > mac dual 2.0 G5

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Post by haricots » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:31 pm

http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Musikel ... erbox.html

MFB Filterbox. It's a great, cheap filter with an 8 step sequencer for rhythmic filtering (MIDI sync-able, glide), real analog, 24db lowpass. It can overdrive the signal nicely too.

Not modular, but worth a look (sorry just clued in to the modular part).

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:50 pm

What are you using in your modular right now?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:13 pm

Hey Prophei. Well, since you have not really had any responses yet I will chime in with my two cents about one of my buddies filters. I do not have it myself, but a friend of mine has it in his system so I have used it a lot. I have a lot of dirty, gritty, noisy filters myself so in comparison this sounds really creamy. The Plan B model 12 vactrol filter has a real silky smooth sound to it. I really liked it all the times I used it. This would be a good filter for less noise and experimental stuff (which I tend to do) and more warm "musical" type sounds. It has a warm smooth characteristic to it and it is also in Euro format so would fit your system perfectly. (if you do not have it already) I have also heard that the Wiard Boogie filter is a good smooth, creamy filter, but I have not yet used it personally so I cannot comment on that one.
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

kk994

Post by kk994 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:11 am

KLAXON wrote:I have also heard that the Wiard Boogie filter is a good smooth, creamy filter, but I have not yet used it personally so I cannot comment on that one.
is that not frac rack?

what filter do you have...

I have the A-121 multimode and the A-105 ssm

the A-105 is very loud and you can overdrive the filters input a little. It's a lovely filter... very sweet sounding great for my wobbly bass needs and sweepy pads. Its a standard 4 pole so not crazy but warm, deep and mostly smooth. The rez will self oscillate so you can make it scream.

The 121 is much quieter... good but not as dramatic as the a-105. i use it mostly for the band pass and for that i think its great. The hi, notch are ok.. the LP2 is pretty good but the bp is great. i wouldn't mind having a go of the cwejman mmf... not sure if i even heard demo's of the mmf...

What filter do you have prophei?

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:27 am

kk994 wrote:
KLAXON wrote:I have also heard that the Wiard Boogie filter is a good smooth, creamy filter, but I have not yet used it personally so I cannot comment on that one.
is that not frac rack?
Yes. The Wiard 1200 series modules are in frac format. The frac format would be the easiest other format to adapt to a eurorack setup IMO.
prophei wrote:i am currently on the eurorack format, but am looking to possibly add other formats to my system, so any format would be considered and is useful to me.
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

prophei

Post by prophei » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:59 am

JSRockit wrote:What are you using in your modular right now?
i am using:

doepfer wasp filter
doepfer extreme filter
cwejman mmf-1

prophei

Post by prophei » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:03 am

to give more detail...

i have heard the plan b filter, and while i think it is a beautiful filter, it isn't what i am looking for here. it is something i plan on adding, but not immediately.

i have the mmf-1, but i think it is very surgical and sterile. nice for things that need to be clean, but not very round and meaty.

i am interested in the frequensteiner from livewire, so that is a consideration.

i am very inclined to hear the wiard filters, but as of yet, have never been in the same room with em. =]

kk994

Post by kk994 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:13 am

KLAXON wrote:
kk994 wrote:
is that not frac rack?
Yes. The Wiard 1200 series modules are in frac format. The frac format would be the easiest other format to adapt to a eurorack setup IMO.
prophei wrote:i am currently on the eurorack format, but am looking to possibly add other formats to my system, so any format would be considered and is useful to me.
oops sorry missed that...

Prophei you might like the A-105 then it's very round and meaty...