This pretty nice unit is very often compared to Sherman or Mutator or modular systems. This is true in view of the similarity of concept and structure. But this unit was designed under different preconditions:
1. To get a clear and lively sound, it was absolutely necessary to take only best components, especially in the audio pathes.
2. I wanted to create a very flexible unit so, it became fully modular
. So, the most parameters (LFO, envelopes,...) are voltage controlled.
3. I wanted to apply my own filter technology
:sign7: . This technology is building the core of all and provides that unique fat and explosive sound. So, it's clear that these filters are totally discrete.
4. Because I love modulations in any manner, I put a lot of different modulators in it with emphasis on possibilities to create weird modulations even when using acoustical instruments like guitars (but not exclusively!!). It was important for me, to extract modulation parameters directly from the audio input signal. (dynamic audiotrigger, RMS follower (linear/logarithmic), noisegate, multiplication of input level with modulation index of the envelopes,..).
5. At the end the quality of all, housing, design, knobs, powersupply, etc...
should be excellent....and 'ebbe und flut' is the result.
ebbe und flut sounds warm, clear, smooth, sharp, deep, exploding with a lot of aggressive potential.
Ebbe und flut contains 2x 4-pole filters (true analogue). Moreover the hole ebbe und flut is fully analogue.
What I can say is, the 'ebbe und flut' isn't expensive for that what you get. And that's much more than only a big feature list. And this although the production amount is really little and moreover made in Germany (not Taiwan or China) :thumbup:.
The connectors on the rear side could be for somebody a drop of bitterness, but in my experience (and in the experience of my colleges) the quality of 3.5mm plugs is far away from good Neutrik 6.3mm size. And because that 'ebbe und flut' provides more than 30 ins and outs I made the decision to choose stereo plugs. To put all the plugs to the front would lead to a higher housing price and so to a higher price for the customers.
If one don't want to use patchbays, make yourself a kind of cable whip. Take 2 shielded thin mono cable with 3.5mm connectors at the one side an solder the other both ends to tip and ring of the 6.3mm connector. Adhise some clear readable plastic labels close to the 3.5mm connctors.
Thanks for your comments. (Sorry for my English.)
Have a good time.