best filter module....??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
prophei

Post by prophei » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:27 am

kk994 wrote:
KLAXON wrote:
kk994 wrote: is that not frac rack?
Yes. The Wiard 1200 series modules are in frac format. The frac format would be the easiest other format to adapt to a eurorack setup IMO.
prophei wrote:i am currently on the eurorack format, but am looking to possibly add other formats to my system, so any format would be considered and is useful to me.
oops sorry missed that...

Prophei you might like the A-105 then it's very round and meaty...

hmmm... the ssm.
i have a mono/poly that uses those same ssm chips... would you say that the doepfer module has a similar sound?
is it maybe different sounding due to the overall circuit differences?
andromeda > polyevolver keyboard > ms-20 > oberheim two voice > arp 2600 > minimoog > custom modular system > polivoks > roland SVC-350 > jomox mbase01 > sh2 > acidlab > tr-808 > drumtrax > korg dvp-1 > protools hd3 > mac dual 2.0 G5

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:40 am

Hey Prophei, you mentioned that you were interested in the FrequenSteiner. I am sure that you might already be aware, but CGS has the Steiner Synthacon VCF PCB set in eurorack format now. I have a set that I am about to build in the upcoming weeks and they look extremely easy to build. (and for under $50 total) The pots and jacks are attached directly to the PCBs and the three PCBs connect together by a fourth connector board, so the best part is there is NO wiring at all!
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

prophei

Post by prophei » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:42 am

KLAXON wrote:Hey Prophei, you mentioned that you were interested in the FrequenSteiner. I am sure that you might already be aware, but CGS has the Steiner Synthacon VCF PCB set in eurorack format now. I have a set that I am about to build in the upcoming weeks and they look extremely easy to build. (and for under $50 total) The pots and jacks are attached directly to the PCBs and the three PCBs connect together by a fourth connector board, so the best part is there is NO wiring at all!

$50 for the whole thing??? really? please let me know how it goes. i have never handbuilt anything, and have been about to buy a kit to get into it.
this sounds like a perfect starting point....
andromeda > polyevolver keyboard > ms-20 > oberheim two voice > arp 2600 > minimoog > custom modular system > polivoks > roland SVC-350 > jomox mbase01 > sh2 > acidlab > tr-808 > drumtrax > korg dvp-1 > protools hd3 > mac dual 2.0 G5

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:51 am

Yeah, (maybe even a little less) but if you want a custom designed panel from FPE or Schaeffer it will cost more. I usually just use plain black panels and drill them myself and use a fine tipped silver paint pen or DYMO type labels to do the labelling on the panels. Its cheap and it does the job. The CGS Synthacon is also designed to be used with either +/- 12V or +/- 15V so I am going to run it off my Blacet power supply with my frac system.

I actually just started doing DIY electronics stuff a few months ago and started with no electronics knowledge at all pretty much. The CGS and MFOS modules really helped me to learn quickly. Everything is clearly laid out and documented and it is pretty much just like assembling the Blacet kits. The CGS steiner in euro format should be a very good project to start with especially being that it has no wiring to do. Everything on the front panel is also evenly spaced out on a one inch grid so it is very easy to measure and drill.

prophei

Post by prophei » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:20 am

that sounds awesome!
i have been designing a rack and power system lately, and started to get the bug to assemble modules as well.
i work with some ex-oberheim engineers, so i have good people to go to with tips...etc.
this has become such an expensive habit, that self-building is looking like the way to go...

please report back when you have it together, i'd love your opinion on the difference to the frequensteiner, as i have considered that one a lot lately

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:04 am

No problem Prophei. It will be a few weeks since I have a couple other projects to finish first, but when its done I will post an update and a pic. It should be a good one, I've heard good things about the CGS Synthacon and for the price you just can't go wrong.

I agree about building your own modules. Modulars are a very expensive hobby and recently there is so many good DIY modules and PCBs being made every day. And since many can be built for around $50 or less it makes it easy to expand your system with nice modules for very little money which is always a good thing.

myteeGTi

Post by myteeGTi » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:40 am

I have a frostwave resonator, its like butter
I have a sherman filterbank2, if im not careful it will try to rape my mother. Its mean...

I also have a doepfer A101-1 vactrol filter. That thing will howl like theres no tomorrow!
...A123 wasp filter. Very gritty and raw, sounds kind of waldorf xt-ish to me
...A106-1 xtreme filter. Very weird one indeed. Distorts nicely but is rather unpredictable.

I also have an ems synthi filter clone from AS. that thing is super cool. You can switch between pre and post 1974 modes. Very dark and thick sounding.

I love them all :)

prophei

Post by prophei » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:50 am

myteeGTi wrote:I have a frostwave resonator, its like butter
I have a sherman filterbank2, if im not careful it will try to rape my mother. Its mean...

I also have a doepfer A101-1 vactrol filter. That thing will howl like theres no tomorrow!
...A123 wasp filter. Very gritty and raw, sounds kind of waldorf xt-ish to me
...A106-1 xtreme filter. Very weird one indeed. Distorts nicely but is rather unpredictable.

I also have an ems synthi filter clone from AS. that thing is super cool. You can switch between pre and post 1974 modes. Very dark and thick sounding.

I love them all :)
i have a few of those =]

kk994

Post by kk994 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:29 pm

prophei wrote:hmmm... the ssm.
i have a mono/poly that uses those same ssm chips... would you say that the doepfer module has a similar sound?
is it maybe different sounding due to the overall circuit differences?
Not sure haven't heard a mono/poly in the flesh. I like it but then I haven't been able to compare it to many other filters. I've heard the Doepfer Moog clone can't remember the number I found that a bit weak. I heard the Resonator and liked that but don't think it had the same charecter as the A-105.

If you follow the myspace link below and listen to I'm Not Insane you'll get a fairly good idea of what it can sound like. The bass, weird sounds use the A-105.

I could post a few sweeps if you want...

Schippmann

Post by Schippmann » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:45 am

Hi there!

This pretty nice unit is very often compared to Sherman or Mutator or modular systems. This is true in view of the similarity of concept and structure. But this unit was designed under different preconditions:

1. To get a clear and lively sound, it was absolutely necessary to take only best components, especially in the audio pathes.

2. I wanted to create a very flexible unit so, it became fully modular. So, the most parameters (LFO, envelopes,...) are voltage controlled.

3. I wanted to apply my own filter technology
:sign7: . This technology is building the core of all and provides that unique fat and explosive sound. So, it's clear that these filters are totally discrete.

4. Because I love modulations in any manner, I put a lot of different modulators in it with emphasis on possibilities to create weird modulations even when using acoustical instruments like guitars (but not exclusively!!). It was important for me, to extract modulation parameters directly from the audio input signal. (dynamic audiotrigger, RMS follower (linear/logarithmic), noisegate, multiplication of input level with modulation index of the envelopes,..).

5. At the end the quality of all, housing, design, knobs, powersupply, etc...
should be excellent....and 'ebbe und flut' is the result.

ebbe und flut sounds warm, clear, smooth, sharp, deep, exploding with a lot of aggressive potential.

Ebbe und flut contains 2x 4-pole filters (true analogue). Moreover the hole ebbe und flut is fully analogue.

What I can say is, the 'ebbe und flut' isn't expensive for that what you get. And that's much more than only a big feature list. And this although the production amount is really little and moreover made in Germany (not Taiwan or China) :thumbup:.

The connectors on the rear side could be for somebody a drop of bitterness, but in my experience (and in the experience of my colleges) the quality of 3.5mm plugs is far away from good Neutrik 6.3mm size. And because that 'ebbe und flut' provides more than 30 ins and outs I made the decision to choose stereo plugs. To put all the plugs to the front would lead to a higher housing price and so to a higher price for the customers.

If one don't want to use patchbays, make yourself a kind of cable whip. Take 2 shielded thin mono cable with 3.5mm connectors at the one side an solder the other both ends to tip and ring of the 6.3mm connector. Adhise some clear readable plastic labels close to the 3.5mm connctors.

Thanks for your comments. (Sorry for my English.)
Have a good time. :sunny:
Carsten Schippmann - www.schippmann-music.com - Everything comes right.

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:51 pm

Hi, re the Wiard filters, I have both the Boogie and Borg2 in the 1200 series, both are great. If you are looking for the thick and creamy, like others I'd suggest the Boogie where you can bring out each of the 4 poles. As you are not restricted in format you might also have a look at the new modules in the 300 series, this includes a double LP/HP Boogie filter.

altemark

Post by altemark » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:52 pm

The Ebbe and flut filter really stands out amongst the higher class standalone filter units - the versatility and juicyness comes across very much even through mp3 clips and such. The way it made that yamaha rx drum machine at NAMM (or was it messe?) sound is a nice testament!

Schippman: what kind of filter design and models inspired you when thinking about what became ebbe and flut?

Schippmann

Post by Schippmann » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:54 pm

altemark wrote:The Ebbe and flut filter really stands out amongst the higher class standalone filter units - the versatility and juicyness comes across very much even through mp3 clips and such. The way it made that yamaha rx drum machine at NAMM (or was it messe?) sound is a nice testament!

Schippman: what kind of filter design and models inspired you when thinking about what became ebbe and flut?
:lol: It's a special cosmic relationship, you can find in the smallest waves of superstrings and so in every human, who lives perfectly in harmony with that realationship of waves and frequencies, no kidding. :^o
Carsten Schippmann - www.schippmann-music.com - Everything comes right.

derma_tek
Band: Derma-Tek

Post by derma_tek » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:02 pm

modular... livewire frequensteiner

standalone... eowave filterbug [stereo] and moog mf-101

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:26 pm

C'mon people. post some AUDIO examples, for chrissakes. A crappy mp3 is lightyears better than nothing.

If we're going to engage in another penile 'best' topic, at least have the wherewithal to back up your opinion with a relevant example.

Crystal, your habit of pic-posting / recommending gear that you've never even breathed on before is getting oooooold.

I don't want to see VSE degenerate like other forums do
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies