Name The Synth You Have No Reason To Like, But Do Anyway

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Name The Synth You Have No Reason To Like, But Do Anyway

Post by portland » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:15 am

A sequel to my previous thread.
For me it's Roland JX3P. There's nothing remarkable about it, but I really like its sound for some reason.

translucencecs
Gear: In a transitional phase, so only:
Yamaha SY-22
Roland MC-09
Roland M-VS1
Zoom ST-224
Dubreq Stylophone
Fostex MR8

Post by translucencecs » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:38 am

Kawai PHm - it's an additive-synthesis-based ROMpler, based on the K1 engine (I didn't like the K1m, after all..!)

I should really dislike it, but I'm actually quite fond of it and really like the sounds - although they're a little too dirty for their originally intended tasks... :D

REwire

Post by REwire » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:42 am

So you really should hate your JX3P for it's ungainliness but it pleases you anyway? Sounds a bit like a girlfriend :wink:

Well, if I have to play along I'd say it's my Electribe EMX-1. It's part of a whole genre of 'band in a box' boxes I never got into (Workstations too) but........It makes the hardest throbbing DnB sounds I've ever heard, it's a keeper forever! I don't even show it in pictures I am so ashamed of owning it.
Last edited by REwire on Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Name The Synth You Have No Reason To Like, But Do Anyway

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:43 am

portland wrote:A sequel to my previous thread.
For me it's Roland JX3P. There's nothing remarkable about it, but I really like its sound for some reason.
Well, I think the JX-3p is incredibly underrated for its price. Not only are its DCOs more pleasant than later Roland models, but it's two oscillator!! People are falling all over themselves to get Juno 6s and Juno 60s, (and even Juno 106s) when the JX-3p is the only one with two oscs per voice! With the PG-200 it's, in my opinion, the best of the Roland DCO polysynths!
In a way, though... I agree. I love the JX-3p, and I think a lot of people would wonder why.
But that isn't the synth I'm going to say!

Of the synths I've had:
The Korg Lambda. It's quite limited as a synthesizer (absolutely wonderful as a String Synth)... totally bizarre functionality for a synth... but man, I just loved the thing. I was sad to have to sell it. I still look for them.

Of the synths I've never had:
A Crumar Bit 99. I hate DCO (yes, yes, I know I just stated that I loved one) synths, and especially digital-interface synths... but man, I just find myself craving a Bit 99. I have no idea why.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 am

For me its the Emu proteus MPS (master performance system). I got mine cheap early on in my sythesizer acquisitions.and hence used it a lot and even today got it out and messed with the slow string patch. The 'blue moon' thing is amazing and i guess I like a lot of the presets, though they are quite generic.
Yet its got no filter (I do add one sometimes)
The keyboard's touch sensitivity is rather rough. Sort of soft or not, with no imbetween.
Its rather ugly.
Its not hard to program - but only because its quite limited.

I really love it though - I think it was because it was like an early innocent synth experience. I guess to continue this idea its a bonding thing. I find I either bond with synths or i don't. I have an SH101, which I keep thinking I ought to appreciate, but just can't. There's no attchment feeling there!!! How despereate is that!
Anyway I feel attchment to the Emu and thus accept it for what it is.

synthgeek5108

Post by synthgeek5108 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:52 am

I personally have a soft spot in my heart for the Casio VL-Tone. it's the "Fantasy" preset. it's very soft and cool.
Boss: Dr-550, DR-3
Casio: VL-Tone
E-mu: Emax II
Ensoniq: KS-32, SQ-1
Korg: microKorg, Poly-800
Roland: JX-3P, Juno 106

XeemEyexoX

Post by XeemEyexoX » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:43 am

Roland SH-201
Live Love XeemEyexoX
www.xeemeyexox.com

memo

Post by memo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:50 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Well, I think the JX-3p is incredibly underrated for its price. Not only are its DCOs more pleasant than later Roland models, but it's two oscillator!! People are falling all over themselves to get Juno 6s and Juno 60s, (and even Juno 106s) when the JX-3p is the only one with two oscs per voice! With the PG-200 it's, in my opinion, the best of the Roland DCO polysynths!
The JX-3P lacks PWM, has only one chorus setting, no arpeggiator, limited pitchbend control and options, and no sub oscillator. While it's possible to use the second oscillator as a sub, or use hard sync to emulate PWM, you can't do both at the same time. The PWM + sub + heavy chorus is a sound that a Juno 6/60 can excel at and the JX-3P cannot do it.

That said, I think the JX-3P is a great synth, with really warm DCOs and can produce some classy strings and pads, and obviously can do a lot the Juno cannot. But you can't replace a Juno with a JX-3P.

For synths that I like that I shouldn't - Kawai SX-240. There are lots of design issues that limit its flexibility, but it's such a nice sounding synth with great SSM filters, and is relatively inexpensive. I made the above video for an auction, but only because I had two - I won't ever sell my second one. :)

etcetera

Post by etcetera » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:31 am

Two synths I shouldn't like, but still like:

The Dee Ex Seven! I hate everything about the way it has been used in pop music over the years, and everybody keeps telling me that I should dislike it. But I still love it. Or should I say them? I have four variations of the DX7 in the arsenal.

The Korg X5. Standard budget synth. All features are standard ROMpler features. It really is the epitomy of a ROMpler.
But I love this synth. It was my first digital synth, bought new in 1995, but yet I still find new ways to squeeze new sounds out of it. It is at the core of my portable synth rack too, and I even consider buying another one.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:44 am

Well, I suppose the TX81Z... It was a 21st birthday present, and I wanted a poly/multi-timbral/MIDI synth and picked that. It does have some good sounds - not just latelybass - but i never got my head round FM synthesis. I understand the principle, but always found the practice confusing. So in all those years I've made maybe ten of my own sounds at most. Which is the complete opposite of how I use my other synths.

So really I like it because I've had it since the early 90s and it's like a little rack-mount friend. I even changed the switch-on message to "Hi Nathan". How sad is that? :lol:

I won't part with it though. Everyone needs LatelyBass, never mind a 303 ;)

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:26 pm

Well, not really a synth, but my X7000 fits the bill. Bugger-all sample time, muddy sound, nonexistant modulation options... but f**k me, I love it to death. It's just damn inspiring to play.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:12 pm

EMU Xtreme Lead

Romplers aren't always the best of machines, but this thing can sound amazing especially with all the patchcord routings. Also the random patch generator is fantastic and generates more useable yet sometimes insane sounds than similar features on other synths. And they are dirt cheap.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:38 pm

piRoN wrote:Well, not really a synth, but my X7000 fits the bill. Bugger-all sample time, muddy sound, nonexistant modulation options... but f**k me, I love it to death. It's just damn inspiring to play.
Funny - I have the same feelings for my (somewhat unloved at the moment) Roland S-10. It lies somewhere between a toy and a pro-sampler - and has almost the same shorcomings as the X7000, but as you state, it's so immediate and incredibly easy to use - I just can't seem to sell it or throw it out.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:46 pm

Korg EA-1. It's so cheap and plasticky... but it is so simple and can sound good.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

joerg721

Post by joerg721 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:50 pm

godmcgarvey wrote:I really like my JX-3P and can never understand how it gets overlooked in favour of the Juno's
Let me think... perhaps because the Junos sound better and have better real time control? :wink: