Suggestion: MFB Synth 2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

All things considered, do you think the MFB Synth 2 is worth it?

Yes!
82%
No!
18%

Total votes: 38

Taxidermy
Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Suggestion: MFB Synth 2

Post by Taxidermy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:35 am

So, I am about to decide where my bonus money from work for this half of the year is going to go. I have been weighing a few options, and right now I want a good deep sounding analogue. Originally, I was planning on buying the low pass moogerfooger, and just picking up the oscilator when it comes out. Now I kind of set my eyes on the MFB Synth 2. Does anybody have any words that might sway me in one direction or the other? Right now I think the main thing my setup is missing is a good vintage monosynth sound, and it seems like just what I need for the right price. I am not too concerned about how much of a good Moog sound it does, so much as the fact that it is a full (as in deep and rich) sounding monosynth.

I have phrased it in the form of a poll so that you guys don't need to spend much time with your answer if you don't want. Don't kill me if it ends up being wierd, I am new to this ;)

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:37 am

All I can say is:

Go for it.

It may be small, but believe me... it's a beast. Even though I never owned a moog, so I can't compare... BUT, the MFB Synth II has a great sound in it's own right.

Sound clip of mine in action:
http://www.b3ta.cr3ation.co.uk/data/wma ... synth2.wma

Taxidermy
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:54 am

Cheers for that sample. Thats the exact sound I am looking for. It sounds very warm and bubbly. I am curious, how smooth do the filters sound, and how are the envelopes? Also, does that little button/keyboard interface send out midi data or is it just global (thats not going to be a keyboard replacement, but it might come in handy live)?

(Its nice to see someone who doesn't overlook the small important things to have in your studio like p**n.)

Don't mean to grill you or anything, I just need to stop making impulsive synthesizer purchaces. ;)

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:01 am

Taxidermy wrote:I am curious, how smooth do the filters sound, and how are the envelopes?
The filter sounds very smooth indeed, without any noticeable stepping. Also the envelopes can be quite snappy... but if you find them to be a bit slow, you can assign the LFOs into "one-shot" mode which basically turns it into a mini-envelope which are a lot more snappier.
Also, does that little button/keyboard interface send out midi data or is it just global (thats not going to be a keyboard replacement, but it might come in handy live)?
Yep, but I don't really use the keypad as much...

Believe me, it'll be a great purchase. ;)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:53 pm

Why wouldn't it be worth it? Unless you don't like the sound or hate analog subtractive synthesis...it is one of the best deals out there (along with the DSI Evolver).
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Taxidermy
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:24 pm

JSRockit wrote:Why wouldn't it be worth it? Unless you don't like the sound or hate analog subtractive synthesis...it is one of the best deals out there (along with the DSI Evolver).
Yeah, thats what I am thinking. I just wanted to see if anybody has any reasons why it might not be a good deal. I can't tell you how many times I have researched something to find that everybody says "Awesome. Amazing piece of gear." to find after I buy it I find something I absolutely hate and there are 30 other people with the same problem that don't bother posting reviews, just talk about it in messageboards.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:11 pm

Taxidermy wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Why wouldn't it be worth it? Unless you don't like the sound or hate analog subtractive synthesis...it is one of the best deals out there (along with the DSI Evolver).
Yeah, thats what I am thinking. I just wanted to see if anybody has any reasons why it might not be a good deal. I can't tell you how many times I have researched something to find that everybody says "Awesome. Amazing piece of gear." to find after I buy it I find something I absolutely hate and there are 30 other people with the same problem that don't bother posting reviews, just talk about it in messageboards.

Put it this way, I owned it and liked it. I liked subtractive analog synthesis so much after the MFB, that I bought a Moog Voyager. If the MFB had full sized keys, I would have kept it...but I wanted a nice modern mono with 3 osc and full sized keys.

Taxidermy
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:16 pm

Well, its settled then. 11 out of 12 people can't be wrong.

All I have to do now is go about tracking one down. :?

Edited for proper smiley

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:58 pm

Wow Shleed, it's very Moogy sounding indeed! Wish the demos at the MFB site were a lot more like your ones - I think they'd attract more people that way.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:04 pm

Taxidermy wrote:Well, its settled then. 11 out of 12 people can't be wrong.

All I have to do now is go about tracking one down. :?

Edited for proper smiley
Nova Musik and Analogue Haven in the US have them... I believe AH will ship to canada as well.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:55 pm

Taxidermy wrote:Well, its settled then. 11 out of 12 people can't be wrong.
+1 now..if there's no Pulse+ that I love..I'll definitely pick this, specially for the much better interface. Also from the demos I've heard, the sound is even more raw than the Pulse..and that's a great sign.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Taxidermy
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:24 pm

I would like to hear the arguments of the two no people. Right now its 14 out of 16, but there have to be some good reasons why people voted no.

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Post by haricots » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:32 pm

The only downside to this synth is the cheap build quality. I have their Filterbox which sounds amazing (same filter as in the MFB Synth 2), but I wouldn't want to be anything less than very gentle whilst twiddling its knobs and pushing those tiny buttons.

konvert

Post by konvert » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:59 pm

Taxidermy wrote:I would like to hear the arguments of the two no people. Right now its 14 out of 16, but there have to be some good reasons why people voted no.
I don't have much to back my NO up, but I had MFB synth Lite II on a loan from my friend and it was urgh ewww horrible. Build-quality for one, and the sound also. (Just try to get the oscs in tune with each other) Oh, and it just died after 4 months.

I just don't like it. The whole company. It's cheap, and not in a good way.

That's my opinion. You asked.
Vermona DRM1 mk2, Casio CZ-1000, MaM VF-11, Boss PC-2, Korg Minipops Junior

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:18 pm

haricots wrote:The only downside to this synth is the cheap build quality.
But that's how they keep it cheap no?