When did you get your first synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

When did you get your first synth?

10+ years ago
64%
5+ years ago
11%
1-3 years ago
22%
Only recently!
3%

Total votes: 118

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:43 pm

Right then, the Moog Minimoog Model 204E (the 'Welsh' Minimoog).

They started advertising it for sale in 1998 and passed a prototype for Sound on Sound for review, which had a couple of issues, both functionally and physically and these were resolved in the production model. See the review here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct98/a ... g204e.html

I ordered mine in late 1998 and took delivery of it in June 1999. There were delays in getting it out, which included the following and these are things that Alex Winter, the head of Moog Music Ltd told me, throughout my many phone calls to them.

- delays in sourcing the knobs and other components from America
- bugs in the MIDI side of things. The manual states that there may still be MIDI bugs present.

With regards to the different layout - this is actually by design, rather than in error. While Winter wanted to faithfully reproduce the Minimoog (which he did), he also added a couple of enhancements over the original:

- The familiar 'triangle' of knobs on the left of the panel was changed to accommodate the transpose switch (+/- 1 octave).

- Two extra on/off switches above said knobs - PWM for Osc 1 & Osc 2 when set to Square/Pulse waveforms. Osc 3 in LFO mode provided the modulation, in conjunction with the mod wheel.

- Multiple triggering, in addition to the original single triggering.

A couple of odd changes were also made:

- The headphone socket was moved to the rear panel
- The units for the Cutoff Frequency were incorrectly numbered 0-10 instead of -5 to +5
- The switches were toggle switches, rather than the original (and superior) rocker switches.

Other than that, it was an absolutely spot-on recreation. Even the SOS reviewer said that he'd have a hard time picking out of a line of other Minimoogs!

As far as I know, only five were actually made/sold before Moog Music Ltd. folded around 2000. Aside from my one, I've heard of two others for sale:

- a black one, which appeared on eBay about two years ago. I asked the seller about his, and the serial number on his indicated that it was the model before mine.
- this month's VEMIA auction has one listed

As Soundwave says, Alex Winter dug his heels in with regards to the Moog name - the name had lapsed in 1983 over here and so he bought the rights to the name. When Big Briar started trading as Moog Music again, Winter wouldn't relinquish the name and so the Minimoog Voyager had to be renamed 'The Bob Moog Voyager' and all references to Moog removed from the synth, it's display and the manual.

It's sad, but it seems to have been sorted out prior to the Little Phatty being released. I'd like to think that it was resolved before Bob's death.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:36 pm

Jack's right - all the words that should be "Moog" have been black-boxed in the Little Phatty manual, the tiny Moog logo that you find on US LPs has been removed and apparently they had to take them off the PCBs too I think.

At least they got away with Bob's name on the back though.
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

CTB

Post by CTB » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:37 pm

1989 - Yamaha DX11. Still have it, but should have done more research.
:)
CTB

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:41 pm

I worked all summer in 1984 cleaning movie theaters and doing my paper route to make the down payment on a new Roland Jupiter 6.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:19 pm

My parrents bought me a brand new Juno 106 back in 1986....that was my first real synth :)

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:35 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:Jack's right - all the words that should be "Moog" have been black-boxed in the Little Phatty manual, the tiny Moog logo that you find on US LPs has been removed and apparently they had to take them off the PCBs too I think.

At least they got away with Bob's name though on the back.
Now that's very interesting - the LP Stage Edition manual doesn't have any usage of the word 'Moog' blacked-out, and it's displayed loud and proud on the box and on the synth itself.

It could well be that an agreement was made in the time between the Tribute Edition and Stage Editions being released.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:06 am

Jack Spider wrote:It could well be that an agreement was made in the time between the Tribute Edition and Stage Editions being released.
It wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

Since the Welsh Minimoog was pretty much a commercial failure (doesn't mean that it was a bad idea - the JD-800 flopped too despite being what people wanted eventually!), maybe the owner of the Moog UK trademark decided to settle terms with Moog Music US.

Bit unfair to hang onto the name if you aren't even selling any Moog gear I feel.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:20 pm

I think trying to sell an analogue monosynth for £1500 in the late 90's was doomed to failure, in hindsight - I don't think the market was ready for it. It would have been interesting to see how they would have fared now.

The last contact I had with Alex Winter (around September 1999) was him telling me 'in advance' that they were working on a reissue of the Taurus Mk1 pedals.

A bit of a dog in the manger over the name though! And what saddened me the most, is that he didn't mention Bob Moog in the credits of the manual - he cited Keith Emerson as the 'inspiration'.