KP3 Kaoss Pad

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
synthgeek5108

KP3 Kaoss Pad

Post by synthgeek5108 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:58 am

so now that I have my microKorg fixed (AFTER EIGHT MONTHS!!!!!!!!!) I am thinking about venturing outward towards getting another Korg product called the KP3 Kaoss Pad. now I am aware of it's main features (sampler, effects, MIDI control, etc) and I'm sure I want to buy it. but I have some questions about it.

feel free to answer which ever you can:

1.) when playing multiple samples, can you isolate one sample, so you just tweak that one sample?
2.) can you hold individual parameters, at different levels? (can you hold the LFO at one level while editing the filter level)
3.) can you use a keyboard to control the pitch function while vocoding?
4.) can it do any of the video effects that the original Kaoss Pad can do? (that's really a pipe dream. I'd buy it, even if it couldn't)
5.) Do you think, it would work well with my current setup?

thanks in advance.
M
Boss: Dr-550, DR-3
Casio: VL-Tone
E-mu: Emax II
Ensoniq: KS-32, SQ-1
Korg: microKorg, Poly-800
Roland: JX-3P, Juno 106

thisispainful

Post by thisispainful » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:12 am

i thought only the korg entrancer could do video.
i had the original kaoss pad and a kp2.
i like them i sold the kaoss pad1 recently. i am pretty happy with the two it does a lot of cool things.
i think you can do a lot with the sampler on the new one. i am pretty sure it had a usb to computer connection for porting over and saving samples,thats a pretty cool feature. i dont think it does video tho.

burnt toast

Post by burnt toast » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:54 am

i'm a kp1 user but ive been looking into the kp3 as well..

1) there are some (fairly lame) demo's of it on youtube - but you get the idea even with the worst vocal loop known to man. OUCH! his other ones are better tho. i think hes affecting the samples individually.

2) i wouldnt imagine that could hold one parameter - i'd expect it to store the x-y position. as the parameters of each patch are on x, y you could just slide your finger across to alter one while keeping the other the same

3) dunno

4) only the entrancer does video.

5) they are great for inspiration and messing around - the effects may not be the best you can get but they warp and shift without any glitching. and i need to stop being lazy and get the midi out going into a synth and start "experimenting" with that. but most of all the kaoss pads are great fun - its worth it for that!

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:45 pm

ooh jeez that vocal sample is the worst I've ever heard!!

but that slicing is pretty cool..

that vocal sample is terrible
worst thing I've heard since 9/11
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

Taxidermy
Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:11 pm

I don't know first hand, but this is what I gather from the research I have done:

1 - Yes
2 - No
3 - Depends (you would need to map the keyboard to a midi CC# and play it that way, it won't respond to pitch data)
4 - Donno <- Edit I do remember seeing a video where it is manipulating some live video. I don't know if this is something its built for or not tho
5 - Donno (but probably yes. However, I think its more of a live effect, not a studio thing)

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:10 pm

Any of you got mp3 / RealPlayer demos of curently-existing Kaoss pads?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:13 pm

MrFrodo wrote:Any of you got mp3 / RealPlayer demos of curently-existing Kaoss pads?
What sort of demo are you after

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:17 pm

Not sure. Perhaps, a properly organized demo of triggerd drums, pianos, organs, clavinets, leads, pads or human voice being run through the KP2's audio in's. I'm also told that the thing can be made to "function like a Theremin" and that it contains its own synth engine. I guess, those are the kinds of examples I'm looking for.

[I've thought long and hard about getting an Eatherwave Theremin, but if the KP2 or 3 can do the same job, I'd probably get that, instead.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

synthgeek5108

Post by synthgeek5108 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:20 pm

MrFrodo wrote:I've thought long and hard about getting an Eatherwave Theremin, but if the KP2 or 3 can do the same job, I'd probably get that, instead.
I'm sure it can. It has pitch control.
Boss: Dr-550, DR-3
Casio: VL-Tone
E-mu: Emax II
Ensoniq: KS-32, SQ-1
Korg: microKorg, Poly-800
Roland: JX-3P, Juno 106

kyodai

Post by kyodai » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:27 pm

I've been debating getting a KP3 too mostly as part of a Live Performance Rig I'm working on.

I don't believe that the KP3 has any Video capibilities, It certainly doesn't have RCA video in or out.

I believe that there is a resample feature

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:28 pm

MrFrodo wrote:[I've thought long and hard about getting an Eatherwave Theremin, but if the KP2 or 3 can do the same job, I'd probably get that, instead.
If you want a theremin, then buy one. Dont buy a KP3 thinking you will get a theremin. Granted it has a synth engine, with a few different synth tones, but for some reason korg decided to apply a 16th note delay line to all the synth patches...why not just a simple reverb??

The drum patches have a few different styles whereby more hits are introduced as you move across the X axis, but you can never get away from the basic pattern. Pretty useless IMO, but i suppose it sounds good when marketed towards dj's.

There are loads of demos on youtube - just look up KP3 by a user called Denkitribe (i think).

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:44 pm

I want to add one more thing.

The sampling feature is so frustrating. I cannot believe that Korg would put a sampling engine in this thing with no other means of recording than manualy hitting the record button. What happened to auto-level triggering, or sampling in sync with the midid clock??

If you're working with loops and a pc, this is no problem - just import them. But if you want to sample manually, it's almost impossible to get your loops lined up unless you have zen style timing! :shock: There is a sample start parameter, but this only works for looped samples, not one-shot, and even then the loops tend to drift out of time due to reasons that get quite technical. If you want to trim away the beginning of a one shot vocal sample you just recorded, then forget it - you can't!

Overall, i want to love this box because some of the fx are superb, but i feel i have been cheated with the sampler section.

burnt toast

Post by burnt toast » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:10 pm

synthgeek5108 wrote:
MrFrodo wrote:I've thought long and hard about getting an Eatherwave Theremin, but if the KP2 or 3 can do the same job, I'd probably get that, instead.
I'm sure it can. It has pitch control.
the thing about a theremin isnt so much the sound, its how you interact with it to produce that sound... i cant see how you can compare a kaoss pad to a theremin. have you played on a theremin synthgeek?

im considering getting a PAIA kit one as it looks like building one would be fun. i'm thinking of what i could use for a case, currently have an old mac laptop or a birdhouse in mind.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:20 pm

http://www.quantum-source.com/Sounds/mp ... idcont.mp3 - This was a short demonstration I did a while ago of the KP2s midi control via pitch on one axis and something else on another I forget, maybe an LFO or velocity or something like that. It sounds pretty much like it would on its own built-in synth, but on that demo it is affecting another synth just to show that it was capable of doing that with any CC parms along with an extra one for pitch control. It reminds me of a theramin, maybe not quite or exact, I think mostly cause it depends on your pitches octave range on your synth if you use it that way. Most synths only go up and down 2 or 4 octaves for pitch control which doesn't cover the whole sonic range a regular old theramin might. I don't know for sure, but anyway, its a demo. I've thought about getting the 3rd one for a while now but have reconsidered waiting until the prices drop some, I can use my KP2 for a while longer. The cool thing about using a touch pad is that you can instantly jump settings unlike a fader, knob or pitch wheel that rides through, makes for some very intresting spacy type effects in my opinion. I don't like to go without one at gigs.

On another note, I just ordered a touch plate kit from PAIA I'm going to do some experimenting with on my own as a control. Hopefully something cool will happen, my hopes arn't too high, but it only cost me like $14 some if it goes to waste. Contemplating getting one of their analog synth kits maybe too soon.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

toonelind

Post by toonelind » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:31 am

Is anyone of you running analogue synths straight trhough KP3, how much does it suck the original tone?

Is is it usable this way or is it usable only, if run through effect loop?