Nord Wave >> first sound samples on clavia's web page

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
toonelind

Nord Wave >> first sound samples on clavia's web page

Post by toonelind » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:22 am

there is an introducing pdf up on clavias website.

so far i've not been a fan of clavia, but i've been wanting to add a wavetable synth to my live rig. i must say, the introduction looks promising, especially the buttons, weight and hopefully the usual durability of clavia.

did anybody have a chance to visit frankfurt messe and hear it out?
is it typical clinical sounding clavia va or do the wave concept and effects make it something more special?
Last edited by toonelind on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

toonelind

Post by toonelind » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:11 am

clavia posted 3 sound samples of nord wave. the first and the second sound really nice.

they say, nord will be ready after some more weeks of development.

i'm going to replace my main live workhorse synth (ks4 at the moment) and it is going to be a difficult choice between wave and p8.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:46 am

toonelind wrote: they say, nord will be ready after some more weeks of development.
thanks for the heads up. that demos sounds cool! it is nice to know that they're using Flash memory as long as the sample loading is quick, not like the flash ROM in the Trinity..the filter sounds like a warmer NL2 type of filter :) seems like it's sounds more of a cross between the NL2 and NL3 character which is sounding great. it's almost like a super LA synth with the 2 slots programs which could consist of 2 VA oscs and 2 sample oscs. also as an FM sampler too, since the FM sound can be modulated by samples. the morphs function is going to rock hard this way. finally, a new exciting synth from Nord.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

derma_tek
Band: Derma-Tek

Post by derma_tek » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:44 pm

can't wait for this one.

hopefully it's not too absurdly priced, though i've been seeing pre-order prices at: $2,699.00 :(

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:03 pm

My fingers are personally crossed that there will be a G3 in the works. That would just make my day.
virb.com/ookpikk

Absence
No Longer Registered

Post by Absence » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:58 pm

I have to be honest, I was pretty disappointed by the demos.

This thing sounds pretty harsh and fugly, but to each their own. I'm sure those that like it will do amazing things with it.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:23 pm

when i saw the word 'wave' and read a little bit about it, i was intrigued. something like a V-Synth but with wavetables and even more flexibility would be awesome.

but jeeeesus, those demos are just horrible imho.

it's like someone told the demo person to make it sound has harsh, muddy and unmusical as possible. judging by those examples it's not for me - unless i suddenly feel like ruining my hearing.

i don't understand how anyone could like those sounds. to each their own, i guess. SOS has their work cut out for them.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:41 pm

shaft9000 wrote: but jeeeesus, those demos are just horrible imho.

it's like someone told the demo person to make it sound has harsh, muddy and unmusical as possible. judging by those examples it's not for me - unless i suddenly feel like ruining my hearing.

i don't understand how anyone could like those sounds. to each their own, i guess.
See, I've been really digging Miles Davis' On the Corner of late, so I'm hearing these sounds and thinking 'oh yeah'.
virb.com/ookpikk

toonelind

Post by toonelind » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:53 pm

well, as nord wave is an heir of nord lead 3, which had superb interface, but was constantly accused of being cold and sterile (and this is true), then it's quite logical, that the first demos of wave are as far from sterile, as possible.

c'mon, it doesn't sound so bad. there is a juicy amount of lofi funk in that sound and i'm sure, it will be able to do clean and silky sounds as well.

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:18 am

Those don't sound like anything you couldn't make with Subtraktor in Reason, or with a sampler through distortions...

Is it true that Subtraktor has some connection to the old Nord Lead?

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:23 am

I'd imagine that if the Nord Wave was programmed right it could find a home next to a lot of MPC / Boomchiks for some heady inner city sounds. It's got a lot of market crossover potential which will be difficult to achieve at that high price point...but maybe - $2699?? - I guess we are talking Vsynth GT/Flagship blah blah blah.

Add a sequencer and call it a day. I know Clavia pushing the "unheard" of type sound but this could also be a good bread and butter kit for a working stiff - what an opportunity for clavia and nice tool for everyone (who can pony up). It covers a lot of ground.

I'd really like to hear the sound of the overdrive and filter in person - It's hard to tell if it's appealing in demo MP3's. I like grungy synths - this has a bit the SCI VS vibe- but I can see that loving the overdrive will be key as to whether I pick it up. I like the fact that I have tonal flexabilty with the V-synth XT as it's quite the chameleon.

Nord Wave has:
waves
samples (baby rompler? wow loops too?)
Fm(ish)
Subtractive
?
oh my.

It appeals to a broad base of users - individuals with more time could dig deep and create their own complete innards while a session player could have what could also be called a boutique sytled Rompler with some cool class A synthesis. The NL2 obviosly carved it's place as a working synth for many studios.

I had a NL2 for a long time as my staple in the late 90's - I loved the interface and gigability but just got bored of the tone after many years and often had to play around a lot for it to sit right - but that's my thing. The sound is NOT garbage - it had vibe - It just wasn't the flavor I was after after a long time - I traded it for a Motif, what a mistake.
But it was the interface and build quality that I loved the most -

For now my V-synth XT stays... perhaps the Wave will come in a nice rack.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:47 pm

I don't like the idea of having to use a computer to map out samples. I like my synths self contained and untainted by the evils of the world.':D'
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

yburn

Post by yburn » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:13 am

I've got to say I don't like the demos much either. On paper it looks like it'll have a decent feature set and it's not something you'll find from most other manufacturers. It sounds too clinical to me, the disortion sounds like a cheap plugin rather than juicy goodness. I'd be worried that the stuff I'd do with this synth could be done in reaktor quite easily and to a similar quality. Hopefully they'll get some better stuff up soon. Some of the playing was good though.
Q, Pulse, MW1, CS60, MEK,

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:25 am

i cannot judge the machine by three sml demos, but these three demos do sound AWFUL. this peticular sound is nothing id ever want to use, and shows its capabilites as only a nice "theoretical posibility" but highly unmusical, and ear piercing.

i do hope this is not a good representation of Wave's texture and character.

so far, NL2X still stands as the smoothest warmest of them Nords (except Linda Evangelista perhaps..)

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:08 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:My fingers are personally crossed that there will be a G3 in the works. That would just make my day.
i have a Nord Modular (rack) and a G2 - think they are both incredible but...

i'd be surprised if there is ever a G3. i'd rather not being unduly pessimistic but when i spoke with Clavia's distributor in the U.S. at the Winter NAMM show back in 2006, it seemed the G2 was selling poorly even then. i can't see that sales would have inexplicably picked up in the almost two years since and given that there hasn't been any recent updates in a while...

yes, the Nord Modular concept is very powerful, versatile and coveted among synth enthusiasts. it's just that there may not be enough of us to warrant another new generation of development by Clavia.

then again, if you're an optimist, you could read the dead-ending of G2 development as a portent of the coming of G3 (just as happened before with the Nord Modular classic)...