one line synth reviews

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Re: one line synth reviews

Post by Cumulus » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:23 am

MiniMoog - The Moog sound, a classic that never sounds the same twice.

MicroKORG - Versatile battery-powered and portable. You'll either love it or hate it.

Yamaha CS-50 - Heavy beast with an unintuitive interface that produces some incredible sounds. Unlike anything else (except maybe half of a CS-80...).

Korg DDD-1 - Underrated but rock-steady and expandable with crunchy sampled sounds. Could use more cowbell!

TR-808 - Boom!

Casio SK-1 - Everybody's first sampler in the 80's.

Big Briar/Moog Etherwave - From space aliens to singing lady, it's not just for sci-fi anymore.

jp8080

Post by jp8080 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:29 pm

jdxi - i hate how you look. i love what you can do. toy-ish? perhaps. yet, you pack a lot of features.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:21 pm

Interesting read, I'll share a few I've owned or own.

Alesis Fusion 6- sounds were wonderful, but UI froze up frequently. Gone

Roland SH 201- sounds were ok, but overall boring. Gone

Korg X 50- sounds were amazing, but editing near impossible, and overall feel cheap. Gone

Access Virus KB- absolutely stunning machine, love love love, but sadly, gone. Missed.

Moog Little Phatty- sold the Stage I edition, will never sell the Stage II. Analog bliss.

Waldorf Blofeld KB- sounds great, UI is quite intuitive, and fast. A keeper.

DSI Mopho kb- amazing little guy, always surprised when knobs get turned. Very expressive.

DSI MEK- probably my favorite synth ever, so deep and mysterious, and the sounds, without limits.

Korg Poly 61- nice sounding, but very limited, outdated. No MIDI. Long gone.
Bassist, synth junkie

Smoking_Gnu

Post by Smoking_Gnu » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:43 pm

SY77 - Interesting, but you're not different enough from FM8 to warrant your fat arse taking up like half of my efficiency apartment.

Mopho Desktop - Why the h**l did I sell this to start a modular system that I never had the money to finish?

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, Juno-60, JX-3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:29 am

Mono/Poly - You can rattle windows with the best of them, but lets see those other synths try and peel paint like you do. You sound like the future with insane arps for days. How in the h**l were you made in 1981?

JX3P - Junos are for juniors, you're a lot more fun to have around. You don't sound thin, you sound edgy as f**k, and that's why I love you.

JD990 - You aren't as rich as that big grey b***h, but don't let that get you down. You have more tricks up your sleeve and a vintage expansion made just for you.

TG77 - You sound better than my old DX7 and your a cheap date. It's time to install your new backlight.

EX8000 - Same dark 80's sound as your keyed counterpart, but you're not built like c**p...

Microbrute - Your bark and bite far exceed your size. I think I'll build a modular to keep you company.

CZ101 - You're cool to have around so I can play synthesizer in bed. But what's up with that headphone hiss? Oh well, when it comes to Casio, you ARE Casio in my book.

Drumtraks - When they ask, "Where's the beef?" I tell them you're on your way.