one line synth reviews

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
esqoner

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Post by esqoner » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:45 pm

RS7000: You do it like I like it, but something just doesn't feel right.

ESQ-1:I upgraded you to 3.5 and now you tell me the battery is flat!!!

ER-1:I miss you sometimes. Not really though

AN200: I miss you too sometimes. Sorry for the impulsiveness.

EA-1:Where the f**k are you? It's been 2 weeks!!

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:58 pm

Roland:

Juno 6: polyana, so to speak - always something to be glad about.
Juno 60: happy memories! and dcb. pads & spangles. arpegs galore!
MC202: hands in the air fun with surprisingly big noises from a little grey box.
TR505: it has congas.
TR606: skippy.
Dr55: (yeah, it's boss, but whatever) simple and better-sounding than I hoped.

Casio:

RZ-1: 8-bit sampling drumbox? great! onboard sounds? oof (mostly)! best get sampling, then... Highly useable though.

Korg:

Microkorg: Well, it's got a vocoder and it looks nice.
Poly800: Well, it was cheap. Plasticky but interesting. Probably better in a mix than solo.

Yamaha:

TX81Z: Used mostly for bass, lately... ;) Good for metallic weird percussion.
RY-30: confusing. clean.
CS-5: minimonosynth, and quite lovely. Smooth.
CS-15: not so mini. but still mono. why do you need 60 controls on a mono? If you think that's too many, try one...
CS-01: miniminimono. Fun, but overpriced these days, at least on the bay. thin body, fat sound.

Moog:

Etherwave: a silly instrument for crazy scientists. hooray! I've got one!
LP: I don't know yet, the shipment's late. Huh.

Clavia:

Nord 2x: red. and digilogue sounding. Good for slapping ideas out on, but i don't like to foreground it. Wish it was smoother.

Ensoniq:

Mirage: 128k, 8-bit sampler with CEM analogue filters. What more can you want? Apart from more than 1 mono out.

Akai:

S3000XL: erm, probably quite good. but i'm intimidated by it, so it doesn't get to make much noise.

Introspectiv:

9090: Look what I made! sounds like, well, a 909. buying a jomox would be simpler, but not as much lead-inhaling fun.

I can't think of any others immediately. There are a couple, but I've had enough typing :)

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:01 pm

Moog LP: Great synth, terrible name.

KORG PolySix: 1 VCO is all you need to sound this good?!?

Roland Juno-6: Opposite of PolySix in terms of character - clinical and lacking in scope, but nothing sounds quite like you.

Roland JD-800: If the Roland D-50 was a space station...

Novation X-Station: Nobody seems to like you, but I do.

Roland D-50: Some fantastic sounds but a bastard to program and a noisy little f**k to boot. Hope your new owner puts you to better use than I did.
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:06 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:1 VCO is all you need.
No, dedication's what you need...

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:15 pm

nathanscribe wrote:No, dedication's what you need...
I don't quite understand what you mean. I turn the PolySix on and am floored every time - no dedication required. ;)

gryphon

Post by gryphon » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:23 pm

z1- you are harsh but expressive, and your presets are generally terrible. But you still make very useful (if identifiably digital) strings too.

ms2000r- i love your delay line and your waveforms. I can make a terrifying sound or a subtly shifting rhythmic texture with the twist of two knobs. The same rhythmic texture. over and over (great while high). vocoder

PEK- too much for me, i am frightened sometimes (as are any devices, speakers, etc. that must bear the brunt of your output levels.) You are a chameleon.

microkorg- you sat under a plank until your blue brother replaced you. Sorry your UI is crazed. vocoder!
PEK, ms2000r, Z1,

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:30 pm

Monomachine - beautiful little box. just wish you were more of an instrument and less of a synth.. You're too fun to take seriously.

Jen SX1000 - My favorite synth.. always sounds musical, I find your 1 OSC with a ENV on the VCF unique .. you get undue love from me and undue hate from most.

Roland D50 - The Deloreon of synths... so 80's movie and so cocaine.

Crumar DS-2 - Damn you're curse of no CV/GATE!! You're like if an MG-1 and Pro-One had sex. Tight tight tight ENV's!! Shame you can't be sequenced.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:00 am

OriginalJambo wrote:I don't quite understand what you mean.
Sorry - old telly joke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-nireland/A794775

:)

lahonda

Post by lahonda » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:28 am

Ensoniq EPS16+ - Thought you were outdone by kontakt and sold - i was wrong :cry: sounds clear and big .asr10 rack would be better tho

MachineDrum - sold her to go overseas, didnt end up going. :oops: awsome sequencer. sounds could be warmer, but not possibly any punchier ! would buy again if i was rich.

DEvo - best use in my opinion is for synth FX, harder to use as you would a classic analog. soldit

nord lead 2 - i knew it was time to sell after spending a week trying to get an acid type bass line to sound bubbly and unharsh. better for digitalish pads i think.

matrix1000 - have had it for ages and always respected. its starting to see some use with the cubase midi editor finally.. recommend the 'cykong' editor!!

juno6 - smooth, useful, big bass. love how the filter opens up on any sound it makes.

arp odyssey - my latest synth. was expecting some form of magical super synth...(you know, the one that doesnt exist) it is always full of tone and fits into my mixes nice. lots of variety for a v old mono.

ER1 it is a fun little piece of c**p innit.

ESQ1 - still getting to know it, feel like every sound it makes need a little eq to clear it up, but sometimes that muddyness can be good in a mix i think.

yamaha cp25 big old electric piano with some cool sounds (this is not electromechanical) at the price i got it for it makes a good juno stand too

DR110 have to agree this has some cool analog sounds. tempted to mod it you can adjust pitches, envelopes, filters etc... modding it to be a midi synced / seperate outs / controllable sounds box would be a nightmare tho !! there just not enough room in the case or on the board.
Arp Odyssey, Juno-6, ESQ-1, Matrix 1000, EMAX1, Prophet 2002, MFB502, DR110,Yamaha CP25 Cubase SX

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:12 am

How's about some Synth reviews in Haiku form?

Virus Indigo:

Swim deep in menus
A plethora of presets
Not cheap but real good

Evolver Desktop:

Little bright blue box
Spikey sounds emerge from you
Where is on off switch?

Akai AX60:

The most perfect patch
Is but a passing moment
Damned messy slider

jp8080

Post by jp8080 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:53 am

Angstwulf wrote: Evolver Desktop:

Little bright blue box
Spikey sounds emerge from you
Where is on off switch?
yes, yes. where is the on off indeed. how much more would it have cost?

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:27 am

V-Synth: How come nothing else can do what you can?

Sequentix P3: How come nothing else can do what you can?

:wink:
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

watari banzai

Post by watari banzai » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:38 am

nothing to share just now but this would be a helpful, quick-read reference! sticky?
Cubase SX3, Yamaha RM1X, Kawai Q80 EX, Yamaha A3000 v.2, Yamaha CS-15, Sequential Circuits 6-Trak, Roland SH101, Roland SH2, Casio CZ5000, Yamaha RY20, Deltalab Effectron I, Zoom 1201, Oxygen 8

Raiven
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde

Post by Raiven » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:46 am

MV-8800: What the MV-8000 should have been. Who needs a computer. Definitive MPC Mass Murderer.

Triton Extreme w/MOSS: Dance Music Dream Machine but your sequencer doesn't have a high enough resolution.

S90ES: Sensual. Beautiful sound and action. Handles everything but dance. Why can't I create new Arps on you?

SH-201: Bass, Leads, Pads, Strings. The best $500 I ever spent. Features to die for at this price range. Why do the ignorant hate you?

Kaoss Pad 3: Way too much fun! Surprising usefullness. Killer addition to any setup. RCA ins and outs? What gives?
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:18 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
fingerbib2000 wrote:MC303 - s**t Sandwich.
You made me hurt myself with laughter. :D
same here.... glad I never ordered one of those for lunch!
Do you even post on vse bro?