KORG Discontinues Two Electribe Classics

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

KORG Discontinues Two Electribe Classics

Post by ronP » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:54 pm

Well, it's official: Sometime between yesterday and today KORG took down the info links to both the EA-1mkII and ER-1mkII on its American website. I picked up my EA-1mkII as a holiday gift to myself last December, and man am I glad I did! I predict these two sturdy beauties will be as coveted as the TB-303 someday . . . get yours now if you can!

:(

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:02 pm

They won't be coveted like the 303.....
for beginners, there's TONS of EA1's floating around.

Synths typically go down in price after production ceases.
The 777 went up....decently up at that.
It has a lot of oddities to it (like the 303 did).
There were only 700 produced.
.....now I'm not calling it the next 303, as I don't really expect another freak 303 incident to ever occur.

I am saying that there are things out there the fit the bill of being the next 303 A LOT better than any of the Electribes.

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:30 pm

Maybe the groove box era is finally coming to an end. The latest offering from Roland has turned out to be not so hot with the MC-808, and Yamaha have finally pulled the plug with no new releases.

Better pull out that laptop and get configuring that midi controller!

Shame, i like jamming on hardware.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:59 pm

Jiggz wrote:Maybe the groove box era is finally coming to an end. The latest offering from Roland has turned out to be not so hot with the MC-808, and Yamaha have finally pulled the plug with no new releases.

Better pull out that laptop and get configuring that midi controller!

Shame, i like jamming on hardware.

So do I! And an AUDIENCE likes to see a performer doing so, too!

Case in point; When I saw Thomas Dolby and BT perform last December, Dolby jammed on hardware and went thermonuclear, and the audience LOVED it all. BT just nodded back and forth and sideways whilst staring at a laptop. His music was good, too, but there was ZERO PERFORMANCE component. He looked like a temp wearing an Ipod!

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:00 pm

I wonder if we won't see Yamaha, Korg, and Roland offering laptops eventually, bundled with proprietary software and audio interface. Of course Yamaha did try the music computer route back in the mid 80s with the CX5M and it was a flop, but times have changed.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:34 pm

While I think the EA-1 is worth the cash, I wouldn't even wipe my a*s with an ER-1... it is the worst drum machine ever.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:56 pm

JSRockit wrote:While I think the EA-1 is worth the cash, I wouldn't even wipe my a*s with an ER-1... it is the worst drum machine ever.
I have no idea why people like the EA-1 :?:
god elton can't you suck

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:04 pm

mome rath wrote:
JSRockit wrote:While I think the EA-1 is worth the cash, I wouldn't even wipe my a*s with an ER-1... it is the worst drum machine ever.
It's simple and effective and cheap... and I could care less if it sounds like a 303.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:33 pm

tim gueguen wrote:I wonder if we won't see Yamaha, Korg, and Roland offering laptops eventually
Not their core business, too much support issues, too much leaning on 3rd-party c**p or pouring in enormous development cost like the special Linux that's running on the OASYS.
bundled with proprietary software
AKA "dead in the water".
and audio interface.
Ye gods no, I happen to enjoy my freedom of choice :D.
but times have changed.
And that's why Roland has something like the SonicCell :).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:56 pm

its very common for compaines to pull the plug on products.

jason

Post by jason » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:10 pm

i agree, except change what you said to the opposite of what you said.

you can give me your extra er1 after you wipe your a*s with it.

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:38 pm

JSRockit wrote:
mome rath wrote:
It's simple and effective and cheap... and I could care less if it sounds like a 303.
yeah ok good i dont recall saying anything about a 303 here

it sounds like c**p all around, regardless of whether it can imitate a 303
god elton can't you suck

m03

Post by m03 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:49 pm

23 wrote:Synths typically go down in price after production ceases.
What's strange about these is lately it seems that the second hand prices of the ER-1 MkII has actually gone up compared to what it was a few months ago.

Mine finished at about $25 more than I paid for it new, and the runner-up bidder did a BIN on another one for $15 above the new price. I've seen a couple others finish in this same range recently as well.

What hidden secret does the ER-1 MkII hold that I didn't know about? I thought that it was great to use with other stuff, but wasn't acceptable when standing alone.

primative

Post by primative » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:59 pm

Those four DSP sounds it gives you to make kicks and bass and snares? Try doing none of the above, and really play with the LFO's and motion sequencing. Tempo 60-84 or so. Makes some floaty dreamy s**t.
Whenever people agree with me I tend to feel I must be wrong.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:09 pm

Good riddance... I'd still like a free EA-1, wouldn't hurt.. I can get a use out of any synth sound. But seriously can't get a use out of the ER-1. It's got a character to it's sound .. and I can't stand it.

Oh and when playing live .. it really shows it's weakness. It's good at making "fake loudness" .. but when you crank it live .. it's like a double negetive or something.. it cancels itself out. It'd be great for making music for television and commericals.. but not real music.. live music.