What's the deal with these Creamware synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed May 23, 2007 8:09 pm

There is a Hammond clone too, the B4000. No idea how they are selling, but I hope they release more of these great VAs.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed May 23, 2007 11:26 pm

Bitexion wrote:There is a Hammond clone too, the B4000. No idea how they are selling, but I hope they release more of these great VAs.
If they are selling well it does seem plausible that they might try to make more.. I sure would like to see them take a crack at the OSCar or one of the OB polysynths.

Apparently the company's history has been rocky (didn't they tank and get bought out?) so I don't know if the outlook is good. But, if they start really selling these things then we might see the line continue to grow.

I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems like with dedicated DSP chips these ASB series could do highly accurate modeling that it superior to that of the VST's that attempt the same task but have to compromise because of limited resources. Most of the VST recreations I've heard have been mediocre to downright shitty.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Thu May 24, 2007 1:50 am

Well, CreamWare definitely have a lock on look and texture. That became evident when I first got my hands on the MiniMax.

Now, if it had a vocoder in it, I'd put my money down on that one.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Short Pro-12 report

Post by Carey M » Thu May 24, 2007 9:03 pm

I got a Pro-12 ASB today. Visually, it's pretty awesome and it feels like a serious and solid piece of gear. Tonally, well, it sounds pretty good. It has a real Prophety quality to it, and the analogue emulation is pretty good (drift, voices seem to vary slightly from each other). Yet, the digital nature of this synth was apparent from the very first sounds I heard, so don't expect it to replace a real Prophet.

I plan on using mine mainly live to replicate P600 sounds I used on our album. Should be more than adequate for that purpose. So far, I really like it, but I don't think I'll ever fall in love with it.

- CM

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu May 24, 2007 9:05 pm

The presets are presets made by other people for other purposes than yours. Reset a patch to a basic sawtooth and build your own sounds, it will sound alot better.

I wasn't going wild over the Pro-12 when I scanned through the presets..so the next day I brought the copies of the patch sheets in the Prophet 5 manual to the store and programmed those sounds. Completely different experience.

The Minimax does have some mind-blowing presets however, not all of them, but maybe 50% give you that "WHOA!!!" feeling when you strike a note.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Thu May 24, 2007 9:19 pm

Well, I'm not commenting on the presets, as I barely even touched them, but the general quality of the Pro-12 sound. I'd never pass judgement on a synthesizer of this kind based on presets.

BTW, If you are accustomed to a Prophet, the interface will kick a*s :)

- CM

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu May 24, 2007 9:26 pm

I knew my way around the Prophet interface since I've toyed with Arturia and NI VST prophets before. Gotta love that polymod section, what a genious idea by John Bowen that was. And of course, keep that "Bypass" button on while you program, so your sound isn't washed in delay or phasing and whatnot.
They made a good decision when they made Bypass a global function and not preset decided.

But when I tried the Pro12 last summer, I wasn't planning on buying anything, and couldn't afford it anyways. Just wanted to try it out.
The Minimax I just bought on a whim a few weeks ago from an secondhand website in Norway, having heard all this praise about it.

DocT

Post by DocT » Thu May 24, 2007 11:06 pm

Bitexion wrote:The Minimax does have some mind-blowing presets however, not all of them, but maybe 50% give you that "WHOA!!!" feeling when you strike a note.
Maybe you find some more good presets in the bank on my site:
http://www.trippler.net/files/cream/SummaDocTMax.zip

Just for fun some not representative Prodyssey sounds from tonight:

http://www.trippler.net/files/mp3/prody3b.mp3

Not quite a finished track, just some fiddling. ;)
Last edited by DocT on Sun May 27, 2007 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri May 25, 2007 11:49 pm

I found your sounds earlier when I was searching Google for minimax sounds :) Those banks seriously stunned me, specially those wacky effects. I wouldn't thought those would come from a minimoog clone. I know you used the Minimax effects section alot. I couldn't figure out how you made filter and oscillator modulations without using the modwheel on the controller synth.

astraeus000

Post by astraeus000 » Sat May 26, 2007 10:08 pm

Have any of you Minimax owners had trouble with Midi notes locking up when sequencing? I've upgraded the firmware but Its still happening, even in Poly mode. I havent had this problem with my Prodyssey. I'm using an Alesis MMT-8 to sequence. By the way, this by no means takes away from the fact that I think this machine is amazing. If I didnt already have a PEK I would definitely consider picking up the Pro-12 as well.

Oh, and DocT, I love the ASB demos, keep 'em coming!

DocT

Post by DocT » Sun May 27, 2007 5:47 am

OggeOJ

Re: What's the deal with these Creamware synths?

Post by OggeOJ » Sun May 27, 2007 2:21 pm

supermel74 wrote:Are these straight up VAs or is there some sort of soft synth component? I'm referring to the tabletop models that emulate classic synths. It's so hard to tell nowadays especially since so many soft synths try really hard to look like hardware in their advertisements. How do they sound?
Ive seen the ARP model. Its very nice, both looks and performs really good. Sad thing was that I didnt have any money back then :(
yeah, im also obsessed with it.

OggeOJ

Post by OggeOJ » Sun May 27, 2007 2:39 pm

Bitexion wrote:There is a Hammond clone too, the B4000. No idea how they are selling, but I hope they release more of these great VAs.
A modular of some kind... woah!
yeah, im also obsessed with it.

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Sun May 27, 2007 3:41 pm

OggeOJ wrote:
A modular of some kind... woah!
semi modular perhaps, but a real modular VA, real seperate mudules each with a seperate CPU etc. seems very unlikely.

Tidda

DocT

Post by DocT » Tue May 29, 2007 12:17 am