elektron monomachine

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
amni

elektron monomachine

Post by amni » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:56 am

hi all

i am getting interested in composing in one box lately and read that the Elektron is suppose to be great....i see it will let me do synth sounds and drum sounds with 6 tracks to sequence with :-)

I love later Autechre programming and the only down side I read about the Monomachine is that its quantise is stuck in 44 land...so it wont let me do looser drum programing and synth lines?

ridethefader
No Longer Registered

Post by ridethefader » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:39 am

what about a laptop with max/msp? i know autechre was using that before they went back to using hardware

amni

Post by amni » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:10 am

I have done the laptop thing Audiomulch and I love it but want to get away from the computer for change

ridethefader
No Longer Registered

Post by ridethefader » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:20 am

amni wrote:I have done the laptop thing Audiomulch and I love it but want to get away from the computer for change
yea i understand that. i use a nord modular rack. works for me. you can do alot as far as timings and such. i was thinking about getting a monomachine as well. i was thinking that i could find ways around the 4/4. maybe by running 12 4/4 steps?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:26 pm

I've tried using the Mono this way...but ultimately am disatisfied with the drums...however, if you are good at programming drums with synths, you'll be ok.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

ridethefader
No Longer Registered

Post by ridethefader » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:40 am

JSRockit wrote:I've tried using the Mono this way...but ultimately am disatisfied with the drums...however, if you are good at programming drums with synths, you'll be ok.
i got a question regarding the monomachine sequencer. can i say for example have 3 tracks of sequences and 3 voices on the actually keyboard non sequenced played in real time?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:05 am

The monomachine is too expensive I think. I tried it for a little while in a music store, couldn't figure out anything on it. One moment I was hearing SID-like sounds, the next FM sounds..couldn't get anywhere with the weird interface, so I just gave up.

I know the guy that designed the Monomachine, though, he's a swedish fella that moved to Norway and started up an analog synth repairshop.
He fixed my MS-10. He's younger than me, and I'm 29. Pretty smart guy, I'd say.

ridethefader
No Longer Registered

Post by ridethefader » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:24 am

Bitexion wrote:The monomachine is too expensive I think. I tried it for a little while in a music store, couldn't figure out anything on it. One moment I was hearing SID-like sounds, the next FM sounds..couldn't get anywhere with the weird interface, so I just gave up.

I know the guy that designed the Monomachine, though, he's a swedish fella that moved to Norway and started up an analog synth repairshop.
He fixed my MS-10. He's younger than me, and I'm 29. Pretty smart guy, I'd say.

yea theres 5 different typs of synthesis on the monomachine. im not sure if im gonna love or hate the interface. for me thats what makes a synth

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:51 am

I'm sure if I spent some time with a manual I'd figure it out. Was completely bewildering on my first go, and I'm used to both analog and digital interfaces.
Is it multitimbral so you can layer sounds from different engines?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:15 pm

Wish I could answer the questions about actually playing the Monomachine, but I only use the sequencer. The one time I did try to play it in poly mode...it did not seem multitimbral, but I didn't investigate it much. I don't believe you can sequence 3 and then play 3 voices, but you can play one voice.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

rivas3
Band: Bad Employees

Post by rivas3 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:10 pm

i had a machinedrum before i had a monomachine, so the interface worked right away with me. but i can also say that the machinedrums interface and i just clicked. i wanted to do something, and i did. but i do think that having been able to approach the interface as a drum synth first, then apply those skills to synth helped out. as far as the drum sounds are on the mono, i think they kick a*s and you can do some really wild stuff with them, but i wouldnt want them as my only drum source. is use them more to apply ontop of my other beats and give movement to them. im not completely sure you can do the three voice thing. because in order to play three voices on the keyboard you would need to be in poly mode, and that would take out the option of any other tracks/engine ability to play....i think, im not totally sure, and im also not at the studio right now. the monomachine is very deep, it has a distinct sound. if you use it as your only machine, most of your tracks will have a similar feel to them. if you like that, cool. but that might turn some peeps off too. it is very expensive, but its also bad a*s and im sure years from now will be considered a true classic!

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:42 pm

The monomachine isn't multi timbral in poly mode. (it's called the monomachine ;) It's my only synth right now that is a poly but I find I don't use like that much except when I'm in a "just playing" or am still working out the song.

Once you have the unit for an hour or so the interface is DEAD easy. In fact it's been one of those experiences where "I want to do this" and you can easily do it!

The monomachine has replaced my MPC 1000 as my main sequencer it's that easy. The arp is killer. I use it to drive all of my external gear. Awesome control and parameter locks running basslines from the Moog Voyager is killer.

JSRocket - you mentioned once before that you wished you could have all of your gear synched up and talking to each other - give a holla if you need some advice. We've got pretty similar studios. The mono changed the way I worked coming from an MPC background...

Most of my music is Drum based so I still like to layer other drums from other sources but the monomachine's beat box is awesome (I prefer it to the machinedrum's beatbox). Think linndrum, DMX. Great standard kit that you can actually use. The transients are sharp but I've not found them to cause fatigue.

The monomachine's synths require the user to do some programming. There aren't a lot of presets at all. You will have to do some work. But it's quick work and ultimately very musical.

It's got my favorite kinds of synths: FM, Wavetable, SID, Speak & Spell, and the superwave which I'm still getting my head around. I've been able to coax some great acid lines out of it that fit well with my dirty Dancehall riddims... It's not just a glitch machine. My music is much more POP.

It's not warm analog. Thank god.

I like both the mono and machinedrum UW. I've loaded a lot of ethnic acoustic drums into it and it's a great compliment to the electronic kits. It's not a phrase sampler though. It can play loops but man it takes forever to load a 1 bar looped sample - but it works. Individual hits are transferred in a jiffy.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:15 pm

megawatt wrote: The monomachine has replaced my MPC 1000 as my main sequencer it's that easy. The arp is killer. I use it to drive all of my external gear. Awesome control and parameter locks running basslines from the Moog Voyager is killer.
How does the MachineDrum's sequencer compare to the MonoMachine's? I've been looking at the MD's for a bit (haven't tested one out yet) and sequencing outboard equpment is a big factor for me.

Laters,
Tommy

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:33 pm

[/quote]

How does the MachineDrum's sequencer compare to the MonoMachine's? I've been looking at the MD's for a bit (haven't tested one out yet) and sequencing outboard equpment is a big factor for me.

[/quote]

The machinedrums's sequencer is just as easy to use. The best part is you don't need to stop for any fuction. This is a revelation. and makes the process quick.

You can get a lot of melody from the machinedrum as well. Pop a short synth stab in the UW and use it for tones or use the sinewave internal machine.

I use it though to program internal sounds mostly. I havn't used it too much as an external sequencer but basically You just choose a "midi machine" instead of of one of the internal drum "machines". and you have an LFO to play with as well. (the mono gives you 3 LFO's per midi track.)
I'm not totally sure but believe that the machinedrum can only sequence mono lines or poly lines that have the same length per note. Again not sure about this though as I nly now have monos...

There has been a lot of talk about timing issues with the MD on the elektron forum. I've not noticed it personally and it does not effect my tracks but a lot of folks are debating it. I prefer it to the MPC1000's timing. the MD sounds plenty tight to me!

I'd rather make music than debate timing drift particularily when the good so outweighs the bad.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

rivas3
Band: Bad Employees

Post by rivas3 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:07 pm

megawatt wrote:
The machinedrums's sequencer is just as easy to use. The best part is you don't need to stop for any fuction. This is a revelation. and makes the process quick.
i agree. its a wicked feature. it is very fast to create, i use them along with Live, which is fast to create also. very helpful for me cause i work with a guitar player and a lot of times we will just "jam" out some tunes, and nobody likes to kill the groove when you got it going on.