elektron monomachine

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:38 pm

megawatt wrote:
JSRocket - you mentioned once before that you wished you could have all of your gear synched up and talking to each other - give a holla if you need some advice. We've got pretty similar studios. The mono changed the way I worked coming from an MPC background...
I don't think that was me... I tend to work with only two machines at a time (via midi)... one for synths and one for drums. Then add others synths in real time. I get overwhelmed easily. I have said that every synth should act more like a monomachine though.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:09 pm

[quote="JSRockit"][quote="megawatt"]

JSRocket - you mentioned once before that you wished you could have all of your gear synched up and talking to each other - give a holla if you need some advice. We've got pretty similar studios. The mono changed the way I worked coming from an MPC background...

[/quote]

I don't think that was me... I tend to work with only two machines at a time (via midi)... one for synths and one for drums. Then add others synths in real time. I get overwhelmed easily. I have said that every synth should act more like a monomachine though.[/quote]

my mistake! either way - I really dig your beats. Whatever you're doing is working!
And I agree - there should be more progressive synths out there like the monomachine.

My one issue with it is that ouch there are some really sharp edges on the metal box (and I'm not talking about the synth leads!)
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:59 pm

Megawatt:

Thanks for the reply. It'll be a bit before I pull the trigger on an MD but I plan on getting as much hands on practice with one before I do so.

No too worried about timing drift. Nothing that I do is what you would call dance music - more spacey wash of noise stuff with sequencing and loops somewhere in the stew. Besides, I couldn't explain anything technical about MIDI if you put a gun to my head.

Like JSRockit, probably even moreso, I can get overwhelmed easily. I've tried to use my Indigo as a multi-timbral machine and couldn't get used to the menu jumping live. Now it's the Indigo one patch at a time either accompanied by a looper, my desktop Evolver or an MP-7. I find the MP-7 frustrating live because I just can't tweak it to the same depth under pressure as I can sitting in my living room with a cup of coffee.

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:41 pm

I'm a total luddite who HATES menus. I can't work with them. THat's why I love the MD. any "deep" functions are only 1-2 pages in.

The md is a tweakers dream. You can make a whole record with one. THere is a "machine" on it that controls multiple parameters of all of the machines at the same time. What this means musically = twisted sounds. If you dig Autechre there is a great interview with Sean Booth on the elektron site. What's interesting is the fact that they've moved back to hardware and do most of the live shows exclusivly with Elektron gear.

Timing in a drum machine is important but again I've never had an issue...

I'd def recommend the uw though it's pricey as h**l... it's a lot of fun to play with samples again!

I don't use a computer when writing / only recording.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:14 am

megawatt wrote:

my mistake! either way - I really dig your beats. Whatever you're doing is working!
And I agree - there should be more progressive synths out there like the monomachine.

My one issue with it is that ouch there are some really sharp edges on the metal box (and I'm not talking about the synth leads!)
Thanks for the kind words sir. The DSI boomchik should be a great companion for the MnM...whenever it materializes.

bigbadbarns

Post by bigbadbarns » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:00 am

I wish elektron's stuff wasn't so pricey. I had a massive hard on for the machinedrum and sidstation when they came out, but couldn't afford them. When they started pre-sale marketting for the monomachine, i definately pooped in my pants a little, but I knew what pricetag to expect.

Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to afford a UW or a monomachine.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:51 pm

bigbadbarns wrote:I wish elektron's stuff wasn't so pricey. I had a massive hard on for the machinedrum and sidstation when they came out, but couldn't afford them. When they started pre-sale marketting for the monomachine, i definately pooped in my pants a little, but I knew what pricetag to expect.

Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to afford a UW or a monomachine.
You just need to get a better job. :lol:

bigbadbarns

Post by bigbadbarns » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:30 am

I know. Pizza delivery and GAS are mortal enemies. Fortunately, I finished my law degree last year, I'm doing my practicing certificate as we speak, with 34 days left on it, and I'm hopefully going to be starting as a judge's associate in a couple of weeks. Hopefully that will mark the end of saving for months just to buy a second hand dx-200 haha.

Its a shame that Elektron stuff doesn't seem to pop up all that often on ebay, esp when compared to other synths. People who buy them must really dig them.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:43 am

i remember when the SidStation first launched, it was so outside of my budget i couldn't dream of owning one. a few years have gone by, and now the wife and i are living quite comfortably, finally allowing me to pursue this pricey hobby of ours without a lot of financial hurdles. of course, last month i remember i'd been wanting one and i head over to Elektron's site to buy one, only to discover they're gone for good (again).

i'm now considering the Monomachine as an alternative, for two reasons: 1. it's got a SID emulator, and i've been wanting to add that sound to my setup for some time now (my wife was a C64 kid growing up and she loves the sound of that goony chip almost more than i do!). 2. i just plain want one! 5 unique synths, plenty of control, and a built-in sequencer (look at my sig and see if you can't tell how much i love that!). on that note, lemme piggyback onto this thread:

for those of you who own the MM, and give two craps about the SID, how accurate/faithful and flexible is it? ideally, i'd like the real deal, but if the MM's emu is close, that's good enough for me. i've heard the demos on Elektron's site, but there's not very many, and i haven't heard anyone say specifically how deeply it can be edited.

Allerian

Post by Allerian » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:54 am

The Mono SID emulation is plenty tweakable imo - in fact, the Monomachine allows you to take the SID sound places it could never go in its native environment.

I used quite a bit of tweaked out sid on this track, which took under an hour from scratch:
http://www.allerian.com/music/Coexist.mp3

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:01 am

Allerian wrote:The Mono SID emulation is plenty tweakable imo - in fact, the Monomachine allows you to take the SID sound places it could never go in its native environment.

I used quite a bit of tweaked out sid on this track, which took under an hour from scratch:
http://www.allerian.com/music/Coexist.mp3
only MD and MM???!!! i am all over this thing, that's all there is to it. by the way, i'm in love with that kick!! and what synth section is that rubbery synth from? the one that comes in at 1:59 (well, it's there earlier, but that's where it really takes off). is that the SID?

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:22 am

bigbadbarns wrote:Its a shame that Elektron stuff doesn't seem to pop up all that often on ebay, esp when compared to other synths. People who buy them must really dig them.
hallelujah!
I'm buying mine in a few days (md uw first, then the mnm)
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:45 pm

I can appreciate that the Machinedrum is a fine bit of kit but the price Elektron are asking for them is a little more than steep for the interface your getting imho!

In theory you could get a Waldorf Rack attack (or Micro Q) and a decent hardware sequencer (RM1X or MAM) for half the price that would do almost the same job couldn’t you?

I'm glad Autechre are using hardware again the last couple of gigs went too seemed a little lifeless. The laptop/recycle/Drukqs style mashed up IDM beats is becoming a little arsey these days or tired 'laptop gymnastics' as a good friend of mine once put it.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:18 pm

I remember when buying my monomachine was crazy...I couldn't believe I was spending $1300 on a synth....the only thing I bought that expensive before was a few cars, an education, and a few computers. However, once I got it...I realized that making laptop music was ok...but hardware was alot funner. Then, I spent $2800 on the Voyager and felt that was alot... and still do. I probably will never do that again. However, $1300 for such a unique machine isn't so bad. I mean, depending on your needs and skills, you can get away with just that synth. I'm still awhile away from trying to make a monomachine only CD again, but I'm closer. I haven't bought anything over $500 in awhile... I need a house.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:33 pm

JSRockit wrote:I remember when buying my monomachine was crazy...I couldn't believe I was spending $1300 on a synth....the only thing I bought that expensive before was a few cars, an education, and a few computers. However, once I got it...I realized that making laptop music was ok...but hardware was alot funner. Then, I spent $2800 on the Voyager and felt that was alot... and still do. I probably will never do that again. However, $1300 for such a unique machine isn't so bad. I mean, depending on your needs and skills, you can get away with just that synth. I'm still awhile away from trying to make a monomachine only CD again, but I'm closer. I haven't bought anything over $500 in awhile... I need a house.
Amen to that bro, I've just bought a house and it will be a very long while until I spend $500 (or £250) on anything!! :shock: