Page 2 of 5

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:46 pm
by hageir
nadafarms wrote:I just tried one out at Robotspeak in SF.

I am glad I didn't spend $1200 on it.

It was just too digital for my taste, I like my Jomox and think I would be way better off with an MPC and a Jomox Airbase together (for about the same price as a single MD).

I felt that although it did have a big range of sounds, everything seemed to have a similar digi-sound to it.
I'm glad you didn't spend your precious $1200 on it too..
They probably went to McDonald's and Coca-Cola instead :D

but spending some 30 min. in a store (especially in san fransisco :) j/k)
is not going to do it full justice, heck, even the demos on elektron.se don't come close to what it can do..

I was learning it in my first 30 mins. so I guess you didn't do much.

(ps. no hard feelings if it sounds a little like that, I'm just really pissed at how "under-rated" the md really is.)

and remember that all those synths + drum machines cost that much (even more) when they were released in the 70's, 80's & 90's.
I don't get it why people are bragging aobut prices nowadays.

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:51 pm
by JSRockit
hageir wrote: I'm glad I sold my MPC's for a MD-UW
I've never been in so much love with one piece of gear!
but I make electronic music, minimal, techno, etc.
not hip-hop
but JSRockit does hip-hop (a lot of it is done with a monomachine)
and it's probably the freshest hip-hop I've heard :)
Hey, thanks for the complement! :lol: I've been thinking about the Machinedrum again... but I'd have to sell alot to get one... and then, it would probably have to be a UW version this time.

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:45 pm
by hageir
JSRockit wrote:
hageir wrote: I'm glad I sold my MPC's for a MD-UW
I've never been in so much love with one piece of gear!
but I make electronic music, minimal, techno, etc.
not hip-hop
but JSRockit does hip-hop (a lot of it is done with a monomachine)
and it's probably the freshest hip-hop I've heard :)
Hey, thanks for the complement! :lol: I've been thinking about the Machinedrum again... but I'd have to sell alot to get one... and then, it would probably have to be a UW version this time.
you're welcome :)
yeah, that machinedrum fits really well into your setup :bootyshake:
imo, the UW is totally worth it :thumbright:
you could sell your 606 (~$300), EMX-1 (~$300) & SP-404 (~$300), that would give you some cash :) (on ebay)
or just keep them all and shell out for a md-uw too :D = choice! Image

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:58 pm
by JSRockit
hageir wrote: you could sell your 606 (~$300), EMX-1 (~$300) & SP-404 (~$300), that would give you some cash :) (on ebay)
or just keep them all and shell out for a md-uw too :D = choice! Image
Oh man, I can't sell my SP-404 or EMX-1...they have specific roles in my set-up. If anything it would be the MicroKorg, 606, and Yamaha CS01 MK II...and I'm not even ready to do that. A MD / EMX-1 combo would be very nice believe it or not.

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:10 pm
by mark andrews
Another thing I love about the Machinedrum is when I'm away from the studio (when I go to my parents for the weekend for example) it is easy to just put in the box and take it with you and get some good usable ideas down. I know I could take my laptop but out of everything I have... 101, 303, 909 etc it's the first thing I grab.

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:47 pm
by JSRockit
mark andrews wrote:Another thing I love about the Machinedrum is when I'm away from the studio (when I go to my parents for the weekend for example) it is easy to just put in the box and take it with you and get some good usable ideas down.
Yes, I agree, because you can make whole songs using just the MD. I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to stop myself from getting one again.

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:11 pm
by hageir
JSRockit wrote:
mark andrews wrote:Another thing I love about the Machinedrum is when I'm away from the studio (when I go to my parents for the weekend for example) it is easy to just put in the box and take it with you and get some good usable ideas down.
Yes, I agree, because you can make whole songs using just the MD. I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to stop myself from getting one again.
:)
I can smell it in the air!
you're gonna fall for one like a one-foot figure skater! :P

I'm starting to think I really need the monomachine too :)

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:17 pm
by JSRockit
hageir wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to stop myself from getting one again.
:)
I can smell it in the air!
you're gonna fall for one like a one-foot figure skater! :P

I'm starting to think I really need the monomachine too :)
Yes, I'll end up with one again... but it'll be the standard model, not the UW. It'll be awhile though. The monomachine is a great match for the MD...even though I scrapped everything I ever made with the pair due to my poor recording abilities.

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:19 pm
by johans121
Let me know when your ready to buy another one. I have a MD that I want to sell - I think I even have the rack ears for it - no it is not the UW version.

-Jim

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:24 pm
by megawatt
I picked up a Monomachine after getting the Machinedrum within a few months. Once you're bitten...

I also love the drums on the monomachine. There's something very classic sounding about them. I've settled into using a MPC1000 as my main clock/poly sequencer synched up to the monomachine and machinedrum with each running their own internal sequences. The mm also sequences my Voyager, EMX and CZ101. THe Mpc sequences the Roland gear and MEK. It all works together with each instument handling specific duties!

I need to dig deeper into the MM synths but love it's sequencer and effects!

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:11 am
by JSRockit
johans121 wrote:Let me know when your ready to buy another one. I have a MD that I want to sell - I think I even have the rack ears for it - no it is not the UW version.

-Jim
I don't need the rack ears or the UW... but It might not be for awhile. I have no surpluss gear cash and like all my current gear.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:39 am
by wiss
eminor9 wrote:To WISS, the MD has 6 outputs which can be configured as A-B stereo and C-D-E-F mono out bypassing the onboard efx section or 6 uneffected mono outs at your option.
again....I wanted every different sound to have its own output....I am a fussy kat

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:42 am
by ThinkTanx
Just got my MM SFX-6 a couple of weeks ago. Have had my MD for a couple of years. I'm still digging into new ish on the MD everyday. That thing kills. Same goes for MM. I am a little overwhelmed by it right now. Luckily I already know the sequencer, but there are so many different synths with diifferent parameters to tweak. And I gotta say I love the joystick! Really glad I got the SFX-6. And I am also really digging the drum sounds on the MM. You can just get really immediate off the wall sounds out of them (also really cool with some joystick love added to them, you can have them panning, retrigging, delaying and flanging all over the place).

Anyways, next up is setting up my MM to sequence my Voyager. I just sold my MPD 24 which was serving as my temporary MIDI interface, so I am gonna get a new MIDI interface/patchbay and really start rocking some new bangers!

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:46 am
by ThinkTanx
wiss wrote:
eminor9 wrote:To WISS, the MD has 6 outputs which can be configured as A-B stereo and C-D-E-F mono out bypassing the onboard efx section or 6 uneffected mono outs at your option.
again....I wanted every different sound to have its own output....I am a fussy kat
Funny because I rarely ever use more than 6 tracks at once! Of course, I am a bit of a minimalist. Also, I guess it depends on how you use it. I don't program entire songs in the box. I just program patterns and then record those into Live or PT.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:47 am
by ThinkTanx
JSRockit wrote:Oh man, I can't sell my SP-404 or EMX-1...they have specific roles in my set-up. If anything it would be the MicroKorg, 606, and Yamaha CS01 MK II...and I'm not even ready to do that. A MD / EMX-1 combo would be very nice believe it or not.
Sorry for going a bit off-topic here, but what role does the EMX-1 fill for you, Rockit? Just curious how it fits into your setup.