I'm thinking about saving up for an Elektron Machinedrum

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Thu May 17, 2007 12:46 pm

wiss wrote:
eminor9 wrote:To WISS, the MD has 6 outputs which can be configured as A-B stereo and C-D-E-F mono out bypassing the onboard efx section or 6 uneffected mono outs at your option.
again....I wanted every different sound to have its own output....I am a fussy kat
that's 16 outputs!!!
you don't need that much!

for example
you can use as many tracks as you want just for midi sequencing, extra lfo's, over all control & a lot more..
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Post by johans121 » Thu May 17, 2007 1:47 pm

JSRockit wrote:
johans121 wrote:Let me know when your ready to buy another one. I have a MD that I want to sell - I think I even have the rack ears for it - no it is not the UW version.

-Jim
I don't need the rack ears or the UW... but It might not be for awhile. I have no surpluss gear cash and like all my current gear.
If you stumble on some cash let me know.

-Jim
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Thu May 17, 2007 3:24 pm

hageir wrote:
wiss wrote:
eminor9 wrote:To WISS, the MD has 6 outputs which can be configured as A-B stereo and C-D-E-F mono out bypassing the onboard efx section or 6 uneffected mono outs at your option.
again....I wanted every different sound to have its own output....I am a fussy kat
that's 16 outputs!!!
you don't need that much!
yes I do.....
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu May 17, 2007 10:14 pm

ThinkTanx wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Oh man, I can't sell my SP-404 or EMX-1...they have specific roles in my set-up. If anything it would be the MicroKorg, 606, and Yamaha CS01 MK II...and I'm not even ready to do that. A MD / EMX-1 combo would be very nice believe it or not.
Sorry for going a bit off-topic here, but what role does the EMX-1 fill for you, Rockit? Just curious how it fits into your setup.
Well, due to my laziness...I like it for basslines... since the sequencer is so quick and easy... but I also love the ribbon controller / arp feature.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Thu May 17, 2007 11:09 pm

JSRockit wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Oh man, I can't sell my SP-404 or EMX-1...they have specific roles in my set-up. If anything it would be the MicroKorg, 606, and Yamaha CS01 MK II...and I'm not even ready to do that. A MD / EMX-1 combo would be very nice believe it or not.
Sorry for going a bit off-topic here, but what role does the EMX-1 fill for you, Rockit? Just curious how it fits into your setup.
Well, due to my laziness...I like it for basslines... since the sequencer is so quick and easy... but I also love the ribbon controller / arp feature.
You ever use the MM or EMX to sequence your Voyager?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri May 18, 2007 1:40 am

ThinkTanx wrote:
Not yet... but I will probably. Well, I'm gonna pick up a Mobius though...so that might be better for the Voyager.

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Fri May 18, 2007 6:07 am

JSRockit wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote:
Not yet... but I will probably. Well, I'm gonna pick up a Mobius though...so that might be better for the Voyager.
So, you're thinking CV as opposed to MIDI, I guess. The Mobius does analog sequencing, right?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri May 18, 2007 1:32 pm

ThinkTanx wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote:
So, you're thinking CV as opposed to MIDI, I guess. The Mobius does analog sequencing, right?
Nope, I'm going to use Midi most of the time... I just like the ease of use and 303 slides / glides the Mobius offers. Plus, I can sync my 606 via DIN.

TJR

Post by TJR » Fri May 18, 2007 4:31 pm

cant forget about the MD's step sequencer. I love that thing. I use it more than the actual MD lately to trigger my other gear and come up with wild sounding sequences.
SE-1x, Little Phatty, Virus TI, Jupiter 6 (Europa Mod), DM-Pro, Machinedrum UW, Frostwave Fat Controller, Filterbank 2, Yamaha O1V

ThinkTanx

Post by ThinkTanx » Fri May 18, 2007 7:09 pm

JSRockit wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote:
JSRockit wrote: Not yet... but I will probably. Well, I'm gonna pick up a Mobius though...so that might be better for the Voyager.
Nope, I'm going to use Midi most of the time... I just like the ease of use and 303 slides / glides the Mobius offers. Plus, I can sync my 606 via DIN.
Yeah that ability to DIN sync on the Mobius is pretty dope. I think it also has a built-in MIDI-to-CV converter.

cant forget about the MD's step sequencer. I love that thing. I use it more than the actual MD lately to trigger my other gear and come up with wild sounding sequences.
Totally. I love using mine to sequence Impulse in Live.

jimi_t

Post by jimi_t » Fri May 18, 2007 7:48 pm

Yeah actually, bit OT, but what would be a decent (CHEAPER THAN AN MD ) hardware solution for a stepsequencer in the TR style to use with Impulse?
Last edited by jimi_t on Fri May 18, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
MFB Synth Lite II, x0xb0x, ER-1 Mk.II, Yamaha TG-33, Axiom 49

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri May 18, 2007 8:29 pm

Once in awhile I think I just want to stop recording music... sell all of my synths...buy alot of drum machine and just program drum machines for fun...which believe it or not, gives me more enjoyment than playing / programming synths, rapping, recording and all of the other things I try to do. These type of days make me want to sell my monomachine and get a machinedrum. How liberating it would be to just sit with a MD and not worry about making songs...just tweaking away.

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Post by johans121 » Fri May 18, 2007 8:34 pm

JSRockit wrote:Once in awhile I think I just want to stop recording music... sell all of my synths...buy alot of drum machine and just program drum machines for fun...which believe it or not, gives me more enjoyment than playing / programming synths, rapping, recording and all of the other things I try to do. These type of days make me want to sell my monomachine and get a machinedrum. How liberating it would be to just sit with a MD and not worry about making songs...just tweaking away.
I feel the same way sometimes..... but with synths rather than drum machines :)
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri May 18, 2007 9:05 pm

johans121 wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Once in awhile I think I just want to stop recording music... sell all of my synths...buy alot of drum machine and just program drum machines for fun...which believe it or not, gives me more enjoyment than playing / programming synths, rapping, recording and all of the other things I try to do. These type of days make me want to sell my monomachine and get a machinedrum. How liberating it would be to just sit with a MD and not worry about making songs...just tweaking away.
I feel the same way sometimes..... but with synths rather than drum machines :)
Yeah, since it's not vintagedrummachine.com, that makes more sense...but the MD is really a synth anyway.

ThinkTanx

Post by ThinkTanx » Fri May 18, 2007 9:10 pm

jimi_t wrote:Yeah actually, bit OT, but what would be a decent hardware solution for a stepsequencer in the TR style to use with Impulse?
For cheap, why not just get an Electribe ER-1 or the like? I think you can get them for less than $100 these days. I don't know how TR-like the sequencer has to be, but I have used an ER-1 to sequence Impulse before and it was pretty fun.
Once in awhile I think I just want to stop recording music... sell all of my synths...buy alot of drum machine and just program drum machines for fun...which believe it or not, gives me more enjoyment than playing / programming synths, rapping, recording and all of the other things I try to do. These type of days make me want to sell my monomachine and get a machinedrum. How liberating it would be to just sit with a MD and not worry about making songs...just tweaking away.
You know, I don't know what it is, but I really love drum machines too. Well, to be totally honest I have only extensively used the Machinedrum and the Electribes, and also my new MM (same process in my mind). And maybe it is just the MD. That thing is so intuitive and just ridiculously fun. I've got to get a TR machine. I really lust after a 909, but it is so expensive, especially considering its somewhat limited potential (in comparison with the Elektron machines, for example). Of course, I'm sure the prices will only continue to go up, so it would be an investment (I love that logic :D ). A 606 would be cool, too.