I'm thinking about saving up for an Elektron Machinedrum

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Postby jimi_t » Mon May 21, 2007 2:32 am

JSRockit wrote:Oops... your the 707 guy and ER-1 guy... I thought I was responding to the thread starter. Well, I'm going for the MD.

Hehehe. If I had that kind of cashed earmarked for a piece of gear, the only decision I'd be making would be where I'd put my new MD. I made a decision to tour Europe this summer, which is costing me the bones of $3000, so no expensive or esoteric gear for poor jimmy...

(Gotta love the Elektron design ethos by the way, was just on their site there and had forgotten how good they were on the aesthetic side of things.)
---------
MFB Synth Lite II, x0xb0x, ER-1 Mk.II, Yamaha TG-33, Axiom 49
jimi_t

Postby ThinkTanx » Mon May 21, 2007 4:04 am

jimi_t wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Oops... your the 707 guy and ER-1 guy... I thought I was responding to the thread starter. Well, I'm going for the MD.

Hehehe. If I had that kind of cashed earmarked for a piece of gear, the only decision I'd be making would be where I'd put my new MD. I made a decision to tour Europe this summer, which is costing me the bones of $3000, so no expensive or esoteric gear for poor jimmy...

(Gotta love the Elektron design ethos by the way, was just on their site there and had forgotten how good they were on the aesthetic side of things.)

Uh huh...

My boys!! :D
ThinkTanx

Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Postby jimi_t » Mon May 21, 2007 10:20 am

ThinkTanx wrote:My boys!! :D

Damn, solid stuff right there! How are you finding the combination of the two of them actually; do they compliment each other well workflow wise, or do you find you use one or the other?
---------
MFB Synth Lite II, x0xb0x, ER-1 Mk.II, Yamaha TG-33, Axiom 49
jimi_t

Postby JSRockit » Mon May 21, 2007 1:44 pm

jimi_t wrote: I made a decision to tour Europe this summer, which is costing me the bones of $3000, so no expensive or esoteric gear for poor jimmy...

Hmmm...maybe cut the trip short a little and get a used MD. :lol:
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby ThinkTanx » Mon May 21, 2007 7:25 pm

jimi_t wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote:My boys!! :D

Damn, solid stuff right there! How are you finding the combination of the two of them actually; do they compliment each other well workflow wise, or do you find you use one or the other?

Well, I've just really had the SFX-6 for a couple of weeks, so I have been spending more time with it, trying to figure out all its quirkiness. Luckily, I already knew the sequencer (have had my MD for over two years), so that has made it easier, although I think these machines are highly intuitive anyways.

Of course, they seem to compliment each other very well sound-wise, and work flow is quite similar, barring the keyboard on the SFX-6. BTW, I really, really love the joystick and keyboard on the MM. I know some people feel it isn't worth it, but I disagree, plus I got mine used for around $1400 so I didn't really pay over the odds.

These days I am writing stuff in the vein of Apparat, Modeselektor, Telefon Tel Aviv, Thom Yorke, etc. Kind of electronic/techno/idm (hate that term), and these machines are perfect for that kind of stuff.

Cheers. :D
ThinkTanx

Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Postby JSRockit » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:27 pm

Man, I miss messing with the Machinedrum and MnM together... I got upset at the MD because I couldn't tame it...but that was due to my own deficientcies in recording. I feel more ready for the challenge these days.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby ThinkTanx » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:52 am

JSRockit wrote:Man, I miss messing with the Machinedrum and MnM together... I got upset at the MD because I couldn't tame it...but that was due to my own deficientcies in recording. I feel more ready for the challenge these days.

Knowing how much you like drum machines, I can't really believe you ever got rid of it to begin with. I still wanna pair an old TR with my Elektron machines. Not sure whether I would go 909 or 808. Don't really have the cash right now, anyways, but that's what wishlists are for...

1. TR-808
2. TR-909
3. TR-606

Wouldn't mind grabbing an Acidlab Bassline (you used to have one, eh Rockit?) or a Future Retro Revolution, or since we're dreaming anyways, a FR-777 would kill!
ThinkTanx

Postby Soundwave » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:53 pm

Does anyone how does the Machinedrum’s (without the sample upgrade) sounds compare with the percussion sounds from a Waldorf Q?
Soundwave

Postby JSRockit » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:32 pm

ThinkTanx wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Man, I miss messing with the Machinedrum and MnM together... I got upset at the MD because I couldn't tame it...but that was due to my own deficientcies in recording. I feel more ready for the challenge these days.

Knowing how much you like drum machines, I can't really believe you ever got rid of it to begin with. I still wanna pair an old TR with my Elektron machines. Not sure whether I would go 909 or 808. Don't really have the cash right now, anyways, but that's what wishlists are for...

1. TR-808
2. TR-909
3. TR-606

Wouldn't mind grabbing an Acidlab Bassline (you used to have one, eh Rockit?) or a Future Retro Revolution, or since we're dreaming anyways, a FR-777 would kill!

Yeah, I make some bad decisions at times...but I'm starting to understand what I really like to use and rebuy stuff. The MD is the last rebuy. The acidlab was cool...sounded good,, etc... but the step programming sucked. Read the manual before buying that thing. The Revo or 777 is probably the best bet.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers