Jupiter-6 Restoration Project Log

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu May 31, 2007 6:42 pm

Hmm, I wonder if I could pull the chorus circuit from my Juno-60 and slap it into the JP-6 while I've got it apart... that might be interesting. I don't even know which board this chorus circuit is on in the Juno-60.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:53 am

I wonder if I could pull the chorus circuit from my Juno-60 and slap it into the JP-6

That would be interesting ...

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:13 am

ebay wouldn't let me bid on that set of JP-6 pots that chipforbrains was selling. So, unless I can find another batch this project is indefinitely on hold. Image

The irony is sweet because I was able to buy the set of sliders, which I don't really need; but the pots, which I DO need, I can't get. such is life lol.

SquareWave
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Korg Kronos X, Access Virus Ti2, Moog Sub37, Arturia Matrixbrute, DSI Tempest, Akai MPC, Hypersynth Xenophone, Roland D550

Post by SquareWave » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:35 am

It looks like someone spilt a beer on it.

#-o

Let me say this - StepLogic, you rock! Anyone who would take on a project like this surely shows their true Vintage Synth Mojo!

We salute you!!!

:salute:
Last edited by SquareWave on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As welcome as a shite in yer spacesuit." - Crow, 2007

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:26 pm

Hmmm ... looked for the pots on Ebay but didn't see them. Can you send a link or PM me? We'll see what else can be done, OK?

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:56 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Hmmm ... looked for the pots on Ebay but didn't see them. Can you send a link or PM me? We'll see what else can be done, OK?

Woof! - Scott
Auction has ended (search completed listings). There was a winning bidder. I've never seen this ebay rule that shut me down before: something about not being able to bid on more than one seller's auction at a time.

Hopefully chipforbrains puts up another set soon! I don't want to put the JP-6 back together until I've replaced all the pots.

I sent him a message asking if he has another set. *fingers crossed*

-

In other news, the new IEC power connector came and it fits perfectly. I'll solder the wires to it this weekend. I can't imagine why the original power connector was removed and a 2-prong power cord was hacked in its place (using automotive connectors, no less!). The synth wasn't even grounded.

Also going to clean and dye the slider caps this weekend.

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:47 pm

I've tried sending Chipforbrains a message several times asking about the pots he has for the SCI Prophet 5. I want to know if they would also go into the Pro One because I want to replace them. I haven't had a reply yet though.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:40 am

dougt wrote:
StepLogik wrote: I can't imagine why the original power connector was removed and a 2-prong power cord was hacked in its place
Hey guys. I'm banned so please ignore me.
There was a square hole for a 2 or 3 pin IEC. But the connector was removed and a power cord was run through the hole and rigged up to the power supply (no grommet or strain relief or anything). I'm not sure if the original was a 2 or 3 pin, but there certainly used to be some type of connector there. What had me stumped is why someone would remove it and just run a power cord straight in.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:05 am

Why the h**l anyone would stick a cord through the hole? 3-prong sockets (IEC) fit in the same hole and is about the simplest, safest mod to do!

Did you check into CTS pots for your rotary replacements? I don't have any in stock, but I'd be glad to check the cost on them. Just say the word.

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:47 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Why the h**l anyone would stick a cord through the hole? 3-prong sockets (IEC) fit in the same hole and is about the simplest, safest mod to do!

Did you check into CTS pots for your rotary replacements? I don't have any in stock, but I'd be glad to check the cost on them. Just say the word.

Woof! - Scott
Are they a drop-in or will there need to be any mods? If you can look into that, I would really appreciate it! I haven't heard back from chipforbrains.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:56 am

dougt wrote:Oh OK originally it had a 2-prong power jack. When people can find the 2-prong power cable they often hack it with a wired cord. Seen it a lot...
I bet thats what happened. The two pin cords are very hard to find (Hosa Tech has them but few dealers stock them). The chassis of the JP-6 is "grounded" and there is a relatively heavy green grounding lead that connects all the metal panels together. The new connector I bought is a 3-pin and I plan to attach the grounding pin the green grounding lead bus for the chassis.

I'm curious if the JP-6 shipped with a 2 or 3 pin connector from the factory. The service manual shows a grounding pin...

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:26 pm

I'll get on it. Their rotary pots look the same as their alpha pots and I believe you can get two different shaft styles on them. You may have to hack off any unwanted length - a normal repair job, you know? I'll get the specs for you or you can look 'em up here: http://www.ctscorp.com/components/potentiometers.htm I'll also see what CE has. Went to the shop, but forgot to dig. That will have to wait 'til Monday, too. Sigh ... too much to do, but I'm making lists, OK?

For the life of me, I cannot remember what kind of cord my JP6 had! Mind you, it's been close to 20 years now, so my memory gets a bit fuzzy. Sigh ... not much fun, eh?

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:54 pm

Good news - I was able to purchase a rotary pot set from chipforbrains so I should have a full set of sliders and rotaries coming so I can do a full replacement on the JP-6.

Does anyone on here have any cool ideas for a color scheme on the JP-6 panels? I'm going to do a white background, but I'd like to change up the stock colors a bit. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Last edited by StepLogik on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:07 pm

Alright! I will look forward to hearing your good news as soon as they arrive. Of course, when it's all finished, you'll have to send it to me to check out. :D

And as far as color schemes go, I'm rather partial to blue ... :lol:

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Moogalistic

Post by Moogalistic » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:08 pm

very much enjoying this topic. I have a Jupiter 6 and it has a 2 prong lead, now illegal in Australia. A while back I bought a Korg DW8000 from a local second hand dealer. It had the 2 pronged lead which was missing. I scored the synth for $80, took it home and "temporarily" hard wired a power cord straight to the PSU. works perfectly, but looks ugly as the hole is open. I was going to put in a 3 prong outlet, but it didnt quite fit, and looking at my JP6 I suspect it might be the same issue, may need a small amount of opening up of the hole.

cheers
Lee