Jupiter-6 Restoration Project Log

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:35 pm

Word of advice: DREMEL! Gots to have one of those, at least! Best tool ever made - seriously.

Drop a PM if you need advice, Lee.

Step - keep it up and post more photos!

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:49 pm

Moogalistic wrote:very much enjoying this topic. I have a Jupiter 6 and it has a 2 prong lead, now illegal in Australia. A while back I bought a Korg DW8000 from a local second hand dealer. It had the 2 pronged lead which was missing. I scored the synth for $80, took it home and "temporarily" hard wired a power cord straight to the PSU. works perfectly, but looks ugly as the hole is open. I was going to put in a 3 prong outlet, but it didnt quite fit, and looking at my JP6 I suspect it might be the same issue, may need a small amount of opening up of the hole.

cheers
Lee
partsexpress.com - their 3-pin IEC fits perfectly in the jup-6 ; even the screw holes line up

Bross

Post by Bross » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:29 pm

I guess the determining factor in the color scheme is the color of the buttons. I don't think you'll find a replacement that fits so you'll have to work with them. I don't know if you found a dye that works on plastic. They also make paint for plastic but it may end up looking cheap. If you stick with the purple/blue/off-white buttons it seems like you should keep everything simple and let those be your colors. I'd do a white base, black graphics and maybe orange highlights.

Mouser has slider caps that look like they'll fit. They're black with white lines. http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDet ... ey450-0154 I know you said you wanted metal knobs but maybe you should find something that matches those.

Tell me when the knobs and sliders arrive and I'll fire up the soldering iron.

Tardis

Post by Tardis » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:35 pm

This would look good:

Before:

After:
"When natural inclination develops into a passionate desire, one advances towards his goal in seven-league boots." ~Nikola Tesla~

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:33 pm

Bross wrote:I guess the determining factor in the color scheme is the color of the buttons. I don't think you'll find a replacement that fits so you'll have to work with them. I don't know if you found a dye that works on plastic. They also make paint for plastic but it may end up looking cheap. If you stick with the purple/blue/off-white buttons it seems like you should keep everything simple and let those be your colors. I'd do a white base, black graphics and maybe orange highlights.

Mouser has slider caps that look like they'll fit. They're black with white lines. http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDet ... ey450-0154 I know you said you wanted metal knobs but maybe you should find something that matches those.

Tell me when the knobs and sliders arrive and I'll fire up the soldering iron.
I think these are good ideas. I don't want to change the color of the buttons... I thought about trying to dye the slider caps using RIT fabric dye (they claim it works on plastic). I was going to experiment with that this week and see how it looks. Anyone tried using RIT? If it looks janky, I'll probably just order those from mouser.

The pots are on their way so I'll be calling you soon!

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:11 pm

Apparently dying plastic with RIT dye is a nightmare. I found some articles online and its very slow and tedious and sometimes doesn't turn out well.

Has anyone tried using Krylon's Fusion paint for plastic?

http://www.fusionpaint.com/main/product ... ct_details

I might try some testing with this stuff this weekend and see how well it takes to the slider caps.

bent23

Post by bent23 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:18 pm

Do a google search for Plastikote. It comes in a variety of colors and is THE dye for plastics. I'm planning on eventually doing the same for my Jupiter-6. I just had all the Pots and sliders replaced, keybed cleaned, broken f key replaced, a slew of capacitors replaced, and they are replacing my manual control section LEDs with my choice of varied colors. Can't wait to get it back.

Good Luck!
ION
Sk-1
X-Station 25
V-Synth, Jupiter-6, JD-800, JP-8000, TD20 V-Drums, Handsonic HPD15
Motif ES8, DJX-1
Sherman Filterbank 2, Korg Kaoss Pad 3, Alesis AirFX.
Circuit Bent Weirdness
Tama Granstar and Tama Starclassic Drums

bent23

Post by bent23 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:23 pm

ION
Sk-1
X-Station 25
V-Synth, Jupiter-6, JD-800, JP-8000, TD20 V-Drums, Handsonic HPD15
Motif ES8, DJX-1
Sherman Filterbank 2, Korg Kaoss Pad 3, Alesis AirFX.
Circuit Bent Weirdness
Tama Granstar and Tama Starclassic Drums

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:32 pm

i'll have to check that out! Thanks for the tip.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:37 pm

Trivial update: replacement pots and sliders showed up today. Hooray for technology transplant!

So now I'm just waiting on the CustomSynth panels and then I'll be able to (hopefully) put the Jupiter back together!

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:11 am

Are you documenting the replacement process? Yeah, I know, but you're going to want that when you're all done with this one!

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:29 am

StepLogik wrote:Trivial update: replacement pots and sliders showed up today. Hooray for technology transplant!

So now I'm just waiting on the CustomSynth panels and then I'll be able to (hopefully) put the Jupiter back together!
i'm so happy to run across this thread... i'm buying a used J-6 this weekend for cheap, i can already anticipate wanting to replace the UI components & LEDs. i'll post a picture when i get it... i'm hoping the panel looks good enough to not warrant a CustomSynth remake, but those alternate color repaints look fantastic!

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:28 am

... and just to follow-up, i bought a Jupiter for $700 today, works perfectly but two knobs need replacing and i'm already planning on buying the Europa mod and installing it myself. any suggestions on replacing the knobs/pots? i've decided against getting a CustomSynth repaint, the case is still pretty nice minus the scratches on the left side.

unison knob missing and pot is loose. volume pot is loose, too. fortunately, these are the only real scratches.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:14 pm

Thanks to the skill of VSE member Bross, I've got the new pots and sliders installed! The only glitch we hit was that there were only 11 pots in the kit I got from Technology Transplant, not 14. I'm sure it was just a packaging error. So, once the correction is made we'll finish up the 4 pots on the bender board.

Got some preliminary designs from Jeff @ CustomSynth and they look great!

The backs of the A & B panel boards were covered in some kind of sticky goo. I guess it was the drink that spilled into the JP-6. Bross wiped most of it off in order to clean the area for soldering, but there is still some left on parts of the boards where he wasn't working. So, I will probably try to clean those up this week with alcohol.

Still haven't tried to paint/dye the slider caps yet. Will try that this week as well.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:31 pm

xpander wrote:... and just to follow-up, i bought a Jupiter for $700 today, works perfectly but two knobs need replacing and i'm already planning on buying the Europa mod and installing it myself. any suggestions on replacing the knobs/pots? i've decided against getting a CustomSynth repaint, the case is still pretty nice minus the scratches on the left side.
$700 is a steal for a JP-6!