Jupiter-6 Restoration Project Log

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:38 pm

StepLogik wrote:
xpander wrote:... and just to follow-up, i bought a Jupiter for $700 today, works perfectly but two knobs need replacing and i'm already planning on buying the Europa mod and installing it myself. any suggestions on replacing the knobs/pots? i've decided against getting a CustomSynth repaint, the case is still pretty nice minus the scratches on the left side.
$700 is a steal for a JP-6!
tell me about the pots... i can see replacing them all, too. are you using reproductions of the originals, or other pots with the same value?

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:44 pm

$700 ... is about what I paid for mine ... in 1988!

I got $950 out of it when I sold it.

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:09 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:$700 ... is about what I paid for mine ... in 1988!

I got $950 out of it when I sold it.

Woof! - Scott
:D

what's funny is that i could have got a cheaper price because of the volume knob! it's an extremely nice sounding synthesizer, i'm totally impressed. my Juno-106 feels like the toy version of this.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:25 pm

You know, I never had a 106 of my own, due to that very same impression! I had the second to the top of the line, so why bother?

I still would like a JP8 someday, just to say I had one. Sigh ...

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:28 pm

xpander wrote:
StepLogik wrote:
xpander wrote:... and just to follow-up, i bought a Jupiter for $700 today, works perfectly but two knobs need replacing and i'm already planning on buying the Europa mod and installing it myself. any suggestions on replacing the knobs/pots? i've decided against getting a CustomSynth repaint, the case is still pretty nice minus the scratches on the left side.
$700 is a steal for a JP-6!
tell me about the pots... i can see replacing them all, too. are you using reproductions of the originals, or other pots with the same value?
reproductions from technology transplant (chipforbrains on ebay)

the quality seems to be fairly good. some of the sliders had some physical resistance in small portions of their travel, preventing a completely smooth slide from end to end, but overall they are much better than the OEM ones. The rotary pots are very stiff. Both are drop-in replacements without any modifications needed.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by xpander » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:18 am

none on auction right now... but i think i may replace the whole 14 pots including reproduction knobs, i want this Jupiter to be solid. Europa is a must, i'm looking into that tomorrow.

the other thing i'm interested in doing is the VCA capacitor replacement that is said to eliminate much of the noise at the beginning and end of the envs, that really irritates me.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:50 pm

Got some design ideas from Jeff at CustomSynth ...

Design 1: http://home.comcast.net/~derekcj75/gearpix/JP6cs-1.jpg

Design 2: http://home.comcast.net/~derekcj75/gearpix/JP6cs-2.JPG (My fav, very colorful)

Design 3: http://home.comcast.net/~derekcj75/gearpix/JP6cs-3.jpg (Minimal, pretty much OEM)

I welcome anyone's feedback on colors, fonts, etc. Don't let me make an ugly synth! :D

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by xpander » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:32 pm

StepLogik wrote:Got some design ideas from Jeff at CustomSynth ...

Design 1: http://home.comcast.net/~derekcj75/gearpix/JP6cs-1.jpg

Design 2: http://home.comcast.net/~derekcj75/gearpix/JP6cs-2.JPG (My fav, very colorful)

Design 3: http://home.comcast.net/~derekcj75/gearpix/JP6cs-3.jpg (Minimal, pretty much OEM)

I welcome anyone's feedback on colors, fonts, etc. Don't let me make an ugly synth! :D
i like the colorful designs, they should really stand out on a white background. looking at the Jupiter, i really like the solid "JUPITER-6" logo rather than the Saul Bass-style lined one. one thing i would try is having colors in the little wedges for the VCO range.

the use of the standard Roland fonts was a wise decision. what color are you changing the LEDs?

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:34 am

I love custom synth's work, but why is it always a white background?

I also recommend you get some Westminster on there (from the JP-4 'Compuphonic', also on the SH series) for it is my view that it is THE ultimate synthesizer font.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

mavertron

Post by mavertron » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:51 am

I also recommend you get some Westminster on there (from the JP-4 'Compuphonic', also on the SH series) for it is my view that it is THE ultimate synthesizer font.
yes. i agree with this, the ultimate synth font.
I shouldnt be here. I should be writing music.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:38 am

Hmmm, doing the "Jupiter-6" and the "Jp-6" model designation in Westminster would be pretty cool indeed....

neonlights: i requested the white background.. jeff can do anything you want though if white background ain't your thing...

Neonlights84
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:29 am

StepLogik wrote:Hmmm, doing the "Jupiter-6" and the "Jp-6" model designation in Westminster would be pretty cool indeed....

neonlights: i requested the white background.. jeff can do anything you want though if white background ain't your thing...
Brilliant. I've just always seen a white background...nice to know there are options. I really hope you do the Westminster...it has a Roland heritage anyways. 8)
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:21 pm

With the Westminister font:

http://home.comcast.net/~derekcj75/gearpix/JP6cs-4.jpg

Looks kinda funny imo, not sure about that.

Neonlights84
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:56 pm

StepLogik wrote:With the Westminister font:

http://home.comcast.net/~derekcj75/gearpix/JP6cs-4.jpg

Looks kinda funny imo, not sure about that.
I think that looks hot, but..... what i would do if i were you is keep the old JP-6 font, but have him add the words "programmable polyphonic synthesizer" on the panel, and have that in westminster in a more modest size.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:49 am

I think this is it! any last thoughts?

http://home.comcast.net/~derekcj75/gearpix/JP6cs-5.jpg