Help me find a synth that meets these criteria..

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Help me find a synth that meets these criteria..

Post by cartesia » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:15 am

OK so far I've had no luck finding something that fits these criteria, I signed up here hoping someone can help me:

1) Digital. . not bothered what type of digital. FM, virtual analogue, whatever...
2) Multitimbral (at least 3 timbres at once, not layered together but rather each playing a different pattern / on a different midi chan.)
3) DC power supply input (so something with an external power supply that could be replaced by a battery) - or something that is natively battery powered.
4) No more than 37 keys, preferably no keys at all.
5) Doesn't sound s**t

The closest I can find is the korg R3 which is only 2 timbre multitimbral. I guess it may have to do though - perhaps I could use an R3 and a micro modular since that wont really add any extra size/weight to the setup.

So, any ideas? :roll:
thanks in advance.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:15 am

a softsynth running on a laptop.

Taxidermy
Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:21 am

The Micron covers all those bases other than the battery. The X-Station covers all those bases other than the timbres. The Microkorg covers all those bases except the doesn't sound s**t one. Oh yeah, the Microkorg also only has one timbre.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Bass Station 2

Post by cartesia » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:30 am

yep its a difficult one..

and xpander I already have a laptop but this is for a specific idea of mine which will not involve a laptop.

someone has just said they think the nord rack 2x has a suitable power supply (i previously assumed it was the same as the 2 which has an internal power supply), can anyone confirm this? I can't find any details online or in the nord 2x manual

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:41 am

FM has endless possibilities .. -> FS1r

Vast, and cheap to find on the 'net -> JV1080
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Alex Mnemonic
Gear: A dancing foetus.

Post by Alex Mnemonic » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:19 pm

Taxidermy wrote:the Microkorg also only has one timbre
You fail.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:36 am

the Yamaha QY70/100.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:49 am

Why should it have to be able to run on batteries? Do you wish to play it while you're driving? :lol:

That being said, can't the Yamaha TX816 be programmed so that each 16-voice section can produce a seperate sound? If that's not 8-part multitimbral, I don't know what is.

And, you can hardly go wrong with the 6-operator DX sound. But, I'd also suggest you look into the Korg 05r w, if you don't want any keys.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:37 pm

Would a virus of some sort fit the bill?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Bass Station 2

Post by cartesia » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:02 am

JSRockit wrote:Would a virus of some sort fit the bill?
I think all the models of virus have an internal power supply. . . but if one of them happened to have an external power supply. . that would be freakin awesome
Why should it have to be able to run on batteries? Do you wish to play it while you're driving?
I'm building a micro setup, which doesn't include a laptop..

The main controller / sequencer will be a nintendo DS, and I'm looking for a nice compact synth to go with it - but multitimbral if possible. . .

e.g. I think that yamaha that was mentioned is a little bit too big ;)

Looking at Waldorf's up & coming section - the Blofeld looks like a good choice. . anyone know when that is due for release?

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:40 am

how do you control and sequence with a nintendo ds? is there a cart. out that i haven't heard of?

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:35 am

also, waldorfs new box wont be around for a bit yet (no scheduled release date) but there is no reason the micro q wouldn't fit your bill. also the nord modular rack is really versatile as well.

pour_furets

Post by pour_furets » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:43 am

cartesia wrote: I think all the models of virus have an internal power supply. . . but if one of them happened to have an external power supply. . that would be freakin awesome
I know that the Virus B/Classic has an external power supply. I always assumed that was the case for the A and C models as well. I think just the Kb/c, Indigo and TI versions have internal ones.
Trust me, ma'am. I'm a cryptozoologist.

www.soundclick.com/pourfurets

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Bass Station 2

Post by cartesia » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:48 am

synapsecollapse wrote:how do you control and sequence with a nintendo ds? is there a cart. out that i haven't heard of?
Hey . . . well . .I'm still trying to get it to work - but it has been done before,

basically somebody (natrium42.com) has made a Serial connector that plugs into the DS cartridge slot - you need to wire this up to a midi socket yourself, then you run the homebrew apps from something such as a SuperCard which plugs into the gameboy advance slot at the front.
(programs such as DStar, a sequencer - although I'm going to write my own eventually)

And pour forets that would be. . . amazing if a virus has an external power supply - I'm going to look into it right away! :D