What was your gateway drug into synthesis?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:34 pm

to me it's the old Kawai organ and portable gaming machines such the pac-man.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Antonino

Post by Antonino » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:02 pm

I started mucking around with some vsts (pro-53 was the first ever) that were given me from a friend of mine.. but I didn't know really what I was doing, so i used mostly presets and turned randomly some knobs, but with horrible results.. at that time i was like 15.. For live playing i also used the sounds of the yamaha qy-20, but i was quite disappointed with those sounds.. but i really didn't know what to use instead of that.. Then last year looking at the inlet of "Royksopp's night out live EP" I saw a lot of KORG gear on the stage.. so I did a quick research in google and read a review of the microkorg.. I continued reading a lot of stuff on synths until on february i bought an Alpha Juno 2, since I thought it would be a good synth to start with.. and actually I learnt a lot with it.. It's funny that for a while I listened to a lot of electronic music knowing nothing about synths :lol:
Last edited by Antonino on Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardware:Alpha Juno 2/microKORG/MS-404/Performer/S-330/Dr-550 mkII/DRP-2/PC-200/LPK25/MC-50/Console RMX/FA-101/M4400/SR1259IT---Software:Reaper/Ableton Live/Too many free VSTs---Owned:D-20/nanoKEY---Coming Soon:D110/FM7---Dreams:Fizmo

crow

Post by crow » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:04 pm

Sniffing Glue in crisp pokes and McEwans Export by the gallon. :arrow: :arrow:
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:49 am

The first synth I remember using was a Juno but can't recall if it was a 60 or 106. Sounded awesome and I was probably 14/15. I could've probably owned stuff back then but I was into dj'ing and buying vinyl. :P

I don't remember if Fast Tracker 2 had synths and I used Fruity Loops 2 as a sampler. So Juno you take the blame because I have terrible memory. 8)
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:31 am

step father had a dx7 played aroudn when i was young nothign too amazing.

Mario paint also when I was young, sequencing anyone?

played guitar for forever, randomly walked into guitar center keyboard department saw a moog voyager and it was all over.
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:46 am

Tried fooling around with trackers and hated them. Then I warezed Fruity for whatever reason and actually started to use it. Yes, I bought it later. Fruity's sequencer made it much less painful to learn.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:34 pm

sineSurfer
Gear: X50, MS2000, ESX1, EMX1, BassStation, Proteus/1, Electric drumkit +DM5, x0xb0x 393, theremin, mbSid stereo, MB6582, MB808, MBSEQ, Fatman.
Band: Hakken

Post by sineSurfer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 am

Played just guitar for like 10 years and all my favorite guitar players had this thing for using effects in creative ways so I ended up being the same, that got me into playing synth sounds with the guitar.

At the same time computers got fast enough to record you own demos, a friend gave me a cd with music apps that had among other things... Rebirth, and that was it, I was hooked with electronic music. btw. Pc's where c**p since those times so I switched to Mac and bought the soft too.

Some years later I knew a new friend who collects synths as a hobby and introduced me to the world of analog synths... sound tweak heaven!.

From time to time he lends me some of the synths to play with, this season is: TR909, TR808, SH2, The Source, Polysix.
am I lucky or what? :D
Riding the wave

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:15 am

I always was a guitar player and singer, but totally dug different, kind of out there sounds. I never wanted just stock guitar sounds. Always lot of fx. That, I guess, inevitably led to drum machines and synths.

Also, Kid A by Radiohead. That album flipped me out, and it was actually after that that I got way into Aphex Twin and Autechre, etc.

My first true synth that I owned was a Moog Rogue, and I pretty quickly moved on from it onto more complex, far-out gear.

All these things kind of served as a gateway drug into synthesis for me.

kogmachine
Gear: Probably way too much gear

Post by kogmachine » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:53 am

It might have been the MTV I watched in the mid 80's with my older sister...
It might have been the video games I played on Nintendo and Super Nintendo...
It might have been the electronic music that took me way too long to discover...
It might have been when a friend showed me the Alesis website back in 2000 with the awesome interactive Andromeda demo...
It might have been the decision to become a composer and musician...

I don't know but it was long before I saw a synth and long before I started using music programs.
Don't be afraid, ever... cause this is just a ride.

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:32 pm

For me it would be corny childhood memories...

When I was a child in the 70s (maybe 5 years old or so) my father would bring me to his friend's recording studio and I would sit in the room with the modular and pretend I was an astronaut while they jammed. I had no idea what I was looking at but was fascinated by all the knobs and wires.

That and growing up listening to Tomita records.

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:49 pm

Picking up guitar strings in the San Fernando Valley about ten years ago. Store was closing up. Saw a keyboard leaning sideways next to the cash register and bought it on a whim. That was my AX-60.

If you want to get Freudian about it: five years old in Hackensack, New Jersey, getting fillings. Had a dentist with wire rim granny glasses who gave me nitrous and put on something Moog-y, could have been Wendy Carlos. Hallucinated that Mickey Mouse was looking down from on high. Went home and promptly crammed a Mars bar in my gob every day until I got more cavities.

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:20 pm

Angstwulf wrote:If you want to get Freudian about it: five years old in Hackensack, New Jersey, getting fillings.
OT - Greetings fellow Bergen County expat!

Carry on people...

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:20 pm

The 80's!

Yeah, all the music of that time... Particularly Harold Faltermeyer's "Axel F." That and Jan Hammer's "Crockett's Theme" and the rest of the Miami Vice music. Also, can't forget Van Halen & Depeche Mode. :)
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

gallant steve

Post by gallant steve » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:39 pm

> The 80's!

>Yeah, all the music of that time... Particularly Harold Faltermeyer's "Axel >F." That and Jan Hammer's "Crockett's Theme" and the rest of the Miami >Vice music.

now, that brings it all back - made an impression on me at that age too.
Last edited by gallant steve on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.