So, yesterday I picked up a fully stocked modular. For $50.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mistercooper

So, yesterday I picked up a fully stocked modular. For $50.

Post by mistercooper » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:22 am

It contains the following.

1x +- 15V power supply
1x dual 10 step cv sequencer
4x ADSR envelopes
3x VCA
1x SV 24db filter
1x Bode Frequency Shifter (!!!)
1x Dual Trigger Delay
1x Noise generator
1x Frequency Standard
2x VCO
1x Keyboard interface
1x FM
1x Phase Locked Loop
1x Pedal interface
1x Flanger
1x Reverb w/ tank
1x something of which i have no idea what it is
1x multiple

and a quadruple pedal

I answered an ad- "Hand Built Music Synthesizer from the 1970's - $50". Of course, I immediately got my hopes up thinking I might have stumbled upon an old paia or maybe even an I4600, but quickly dismissed such thoughts, and assumed it was some shoddy kit or broken junk someone was trying to get rid of.

I was obviously wrong. :shock:

I drove about 20 minutes to the person's house. I was then greeted by a late middle aged woman with a lot of dogs. She yelled to her husband upstairs that the synthesizer person was here. After some strange noises, he came downstairs. The guy could have been R.A. Moog himself. Balding graying hair, huge glasses that were probably as old as the synth. He led me into the family room and... wow. My jaw dropped. The guy is a retired electronics engineer. His wife and him are moving and she would rather he didn't bring this monster with them. It was his labor of love throughout the 70's, and I can see why he got into engineering. He designed the entire thing himself, basing most of the designs on old Moog stuff. It even has a state variable 24db filter (the only module thats currently on the fritz), and a bode shifter! :D

The guy got into the zone, clearly having no one else to share his old passion with, and demonstrated the unit for over 2 hours while I just sat there, amazed. As I was leaving, I found out that he was going to take it to the landfill before his wife decided to post the ad. :shock: :shock: :shock: She was even coming in periodically to remind him "Remember, we are willing to negotiate, wayyy down."

I laughed inside. A lot.

Felt kind of guilty as I left. He threw in a bunch of replacement switches and blank panels for the empty spots (cant wait to stick some of my DIY circuits in there). I got about 30 1/4in patch cables, too.

Ah h**l, who am I kidding :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by mistercooper on Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
m-audio Radium 61, Korg Kontrol49,
Nord Modular rack, ER-1
Soundlab
CS-50
Custom built modular w/ ~30 modules
TX-216, VSS-100, PSR-470
Ableton Live, Reason, Cubase, plugs

Taxidermy
Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:27 am

Well, you can feel guilty not telling the guy that its probably worth much more than he was asking, or you can feel good knowing that he finally had one last chance to share his passion with someone who understands it before it was to leave the house.

That said, I would have given them some extra money. It would have been different if he was a dickhead, but he seems like a nice guy.

Good find.

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:27 am

I hate you. :)
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

phloem

Post by phloem » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:38 am

Did I just read that right? $50???

Wow, that's the deal of the century. It has a 15V PSU too, you can always add more more modern modles to it. That thing looks like it was built with love. f**k BODE FS!! I can't believe it. That guy was some old synth genius that just went nuts. You've been blessed.

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:44 am

that's not supposed to actually happen.

since you took it at this price i'd say your duty is to give it the most loving home imaginable and do everything in your power to keep it in fine fettle and master its components. the voltage has been passed to a new generation....

cbjlietuva
Gear: Roland Juno 6 · Rhodes 73 Suitcase · Fender '63 jBass · Fender Strat+ · Casio SK1

Post by cbjlietuva » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:46 am

wow.... so the guy just made it himself? and dang, 50 bucks.... dang...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...Star Wars on Laserdisc

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:54 am

Was the guy suffering from Dimensia?

Great deal bro! You basically got a kick wad modular for free.

I bet it souds really nice too, make some demos, post them in the LL.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

hautacam

Post by hautacam » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:58 am

Was this off the Seattle Tacoma craigslist? If so I can believe I missed it, I check the music listings many many times a day in hope of such a find. Anyways, have fun with the modular!

Tyler

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:01 am

Amazing...and with a Bode FS no less. That is one of those once in a lifetime finds. I am happy that a synthesist got it before it went to the dump. That would have been a damn shame for such a wonderful synth and obvious labor of love.
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

cl516

Post by cl516 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:14 am

omg i feel so sad reading this, give him some more money for crying out loud.

jayman
Gear: juno106, juno60, tr 707, sh-1000, volca bass/beats microkorg, arp odyssey (mk 1), drumtraks, mopho, microbrute, zoom tr3b, cz 3000, kurzwiel k2600,
Band: PHAEDRIDER
Location: casa de freakin oro california, jewel of the east county

Post by jayman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:35 am

.. he shoulda gotten a divorce years ago!!!!, good for you he didn't though.. DAAAANG!!!!!!
i totally dig how our ears can hear all this s**t and and we don't even do like half of it with normal instruments, and then all we gotta do is hook a speaker up to some circuits and move those circuits around and we can push our hearing to it's limits

REwire

Post by REwire » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:03 am

I'll give you $100 for it, that's double what you paid. How can you pass up such an offer? :wink:

Seriously, I am dying to know what it sounds like. Make some sound clips quick! That's unbelievably cool and beyond a lucky find.
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:03 am

this story is going to be a legend..legendary stuff, maker and luck :shock:
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:41 am

that is a great story. and what an amazing deal!!! :shock: and i secretly hate you :)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:00 pm

Wonder what system that is...doesn't look like any of the usual 70's modular systems.

Funny, here I am investing $2000 in a modular system of similar size. Probably a couple more modules on the one I'm getting soon.
And the Bode Frequency shifter of Analogue Systems cost $1000. It's a clone of Moog's design. And the Moog unit was extremely rare, only a few were ever made.
AS are the only ones who makes that module now. I'm not getting it for mine though. Too much money.

I can kind of understand why they sold it like that. If it's been cluttering up the livingroom or basement space for 25 years, and the wife's been bitching about that "old heap of junk" for the past 20 years, I'm sure they were anxious to get rid of it ASAP.
Last edited by Bitexion on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.