So, yesterday I picked up a fully stocked modular. For $50.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:01 pm

cl516 wrote:omg i feel so sad reading this, give him some more money for crying out loud.
I don't. He was going to throw it out... at least you gave him some cash, he got to talk about it for a long time, and he now feels it went to someone who cares.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:04 pm

JSRockit wrote:...and he now feels it went to someone who cares.
Exactly.

Zonkout
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Post by Zonkout » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:26 pm

You should take a pic of the module you cannot identify; maybe we could help you figure it out?

Neat that it has a flanger and a PLL--you don't usually find those in a modular.

Looks like you'll need another filter, though (or two). What do you plan to build?

What an amazing find.
My friend just picked up a fully functioning RE-501 Tape Echo at a pawn shop for $120. I'm jealous of you both.
Last edited by Zonkout on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clueless

Post by clueless » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:32 pm

Well done! You are very lucky indeed. I agree with what has been said before. It was his love and he is probably very happy it went to a synth fanatic..... like him. :wink:

clueless

Post by clueless » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:33 pm

Well done! You are very lucky indeed. I agree with what has been said before. It was his love and he is probably very happy it went to a synth fanatic..... like him. :wink:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:33 pm

A Bode frequency shifter is an extremely rare module in any modular. None of the modern modular systems have them except for Analogue Systems, and it costs $1000 (£700) from them. That's more than most polysynths these days.
Moog made only a few, ever, because they were so expensive. AS' BFS is a clone of the Moog one, so you may want to read the AS manual for their BFS to understand what it does. It can do so much more than just make ringmod sounds.

http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/pdf/RS240.pdf

Zonkout
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Post by Zonkout » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:45 pm

Modcan makes a frequency shifter for $825 and Encore Electronics makes one for MOTM and Frac ($389).

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:57 pm

I would get back to him and see if he still has his schems/notes. Forward him music/pictures, i'm sure he will appreciate seeing his baby in action

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:24 pm

It might have cost him just as much to have it hauled away as he got from selling it to you.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

kk994

Post by kk994 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:25 pm

Congrats ... jesus $50... that's just unbelieavable... I think that beats every synth find story ever.

I'd say he knew fine well what you well getting. Sounds to me like he knew his stuff. I'd say he's glad you were so excited and his labour of love was going to a good home.

mistercooper

Post by mistercooper » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:30 pm

Yeah, he said of all the modules he built, the Bode was the one he spent the most time designing and troubleshooting. I took a look at its back, and it consists of 4 layers of PCB. 8) It makes some pretty cool timbres, but I haven't gotten around to fixing the filter module yet, so most of the sounds ive made are interesting but, unconventional ;). The only working filter I have right now is in the patched out soundlab sitting on top of it, and its a pretty weak/noisy 12db.

I'm planning on shopping around a bit. Ive got about 5u of 8"x2" left for me to monkey around with. I'm gonna put in a Ray Wilson ladder filter, and maybe buy one of the more interesting botique filters (maybe a vactrol or an oberheim or something). Also on my shopping list, a good midi/cv interface, an analog delay (memory man?), and probably an LFO or another VCO. Both of the VCO already in it can be switched into LF rate, but I'd rather have one dedicated to modulation so I can keep those suckas up in the audio rate where they belong.

The module Im not sure about is the one second the left on the bottom row. It's just 3 pots and 3 jacks. Looks like 2 in 1 out. It isn't labeled. Its probably something simple like a panner or cv mixer. I just haven't had time to take a look at it yet.

As for my friend the engineer, when I left he told me that all of the designs are "up here" (pointing at his head), but that I was welcome to call or email, and that more details might come to him. He would lose track of what he was thinking about pretty easily, maybe going a bit senile. Needless to say, I'll probably be picking his brain quite a bit this summer.

I get out of school in a week, and I'll have a lot of time on my hands. You guys will definitely get some interesting videos at some point. 8)
m-audio Radium 61, Korg Kontrol49,
Nord Modular rack, ER-1
Soundlab
CS-50
Custom built modular w/ ~30 modules
TX-216, VSS-100, PSR-470
Ableton Live, Reason, Cubase, plugs

phloem

Post by phloem » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:04 pm

Sorry to sidetrack the thread a little. Regarding the Bode FS, AS makes theirs and there is also one available from COTK. Modcan's FS is not a Bode design but some say it's superior. The Encore Electronics FS is the least expensive (by far) and is a digital hybrid module.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:11 pm

That's an amazing find. Looks in great condition, and the cabinet looks solid and well-built too. You're a lucky one! And of course, we'll be expecting some demos too...

I think we're all a little green round here today :)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:12 pm

So he designed all the modules off his own head. That's pretty neat. At least you have a completely unique modular then.
Doesn't necessarily mean it's modules are the greatest, though.. you said the filter was a noisy 12dB thing.
I suppose he made it just to test his own engineering skills back in the 70's, and never bothered with it later..I'm not feeling so jalous actually, probably because I'm stoked about getting my first modular myself in a couple weeks :) (Full Analogue Systems 3). I've ordered it already, and it arrives in the store around the 15th. Can't afford a sequencer yet, though.

mistercooper

Post by mistercooper » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:18 pm

No, what I was saying is that the only filter I have on hand is a noisy 12db thing. :D

His (well I guess mine now) is a state variable 24db, with 2 signal paths (1 input, but I can simultaneously run it through 2 different filter slopes, each with their own output). Very cool. Unfortunately, the signal path in it is currently broken. He said one of the opamps probably went bad. I'll probably go through and replace all of the 4000 series CMOS, too, just because I can. (thank god for sockets) I was just commenting that the soundlab VCF wouldn't do it justice, so I'll wait off until I've repaired the proper one to make demos.

I can assure you that what I've used it of the utmost quality. 8)
m-audio Radium 61, Korg Kontrol49,
Nord Modular rack, ER-1
Soundlab
CS-50
Custom built modular w/ ~30 modules
TX-216, VSS-100, PSR-470
Ableton Live, Reason, Cubase, plugs