Polysix vs Prophet 600?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ezzo

Polysix vs Prophet 600?

Post by Ezzo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:54 am

So as you can probably see I currently own a polysix but I'm starting to think it might not be the ideal vintage poly analog for me. I like the string sounds but the single VCO feels a little awkward and limiting to me. I'm also having a hard time getting down with the Mod section (I think thats what its called). The prophet 600 is pretty appealing because of its two VCO's, glide, sequencer and I really like that you can play something over top of the arpegiator. I'm little wary about the build quality of the SCI but asde from that is there any obvious reasons I shouldn't try and trade up?
Octave Cat SRM
Korg Polysix
Boss DR 770
Line 6 POD XT
Tascam DP01

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:43 am

I'd "save up" and keep the Polysix, Its getting difficult to find ones that are not damaged.
I know what you mean about the 1 vco, I sometimes go the poor-mans route and run 2 tracks- copy one and slightly detune it.
I'm also gassing for a Prophet 600 and trying to get my friend to sell me his... good luck!
sell me your KS5!

Ezzo

Post by Ezzo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:57 am

I know what you mean, I feel a little guilty thinking about selling my P6 because it is pretty much flawless. I swapped out the battery before it had a chance to leak and it really is a beautiful sounding instrument. That being said I am looking for best vintage poly for me. I never intended on owning more than one. I thought the P6 was the best choice but there are a few things that kind of annoy me about it. I know there isn't one perfect synth out there (or everyone would own it) but for me it's all about finding the one with the most pro's and the least cons.
Octave Cat SRM
Korg Polysix
Boss DR 770
Line 6 POD XT
Tascam DP01

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:10 am

Well the 600's a great synth and it will probly take a while to find one, so you'll have plenty of time to think about it.
I find them different enough to own both- all the poly's from that era have their different strengths/textures- I'd really love a trident but I dont see them aside from the project/ doesnt-work variety.
Why not really save up and go for the Prophet 5? The control stepping on the 600 is a major setback for me.
sell me your KS5!

Ezzo

Post by Ezzo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:41 am

The prophet 5 is just more synth than I need. I'm just going to sit back and wait for a p-600 to turn up. I saw one on ebay two weeks ago so I know they are out there.
Octave Cat SRM
Korg Polysix
Boss DR 770
Line 6 POD XT
Tascam DP01

MissionBrown

Post by MissionBrown » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:54 pm

The Prophet 600 is quite nice, but really its sequencer is pretty damn c**p and its arpeggiator isn't my cup o tea.
The sound is pretty good but I find that strings aren't its strong point unless you use another filter.
It has this harshness about it thats great for clang and brass.
Sure its warmer than a VA but despite being VCO its not as fat as a Juno(yeah yeah chorus blah).
Stepping on the cutoff isn't a problem if you use the CV input ;)
Those things said, I don't think I'll ever sell it while still doing music.
I heard the Poly 6 a few times and I think its worth hanging onto.
If I had the room and cash and a girlfriend with patience for my synth gear greater than she carries I'd have all the early 80's polys stacked up and ready to rock!
No synth is unique, though what you make of it should be.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:00 pm

Aww...I almost feel sorry for the PolySix if ya sell it.

However if the Prophet 600 is more your thing then there's no real reason not to opt for the change. Make sure it goes to a good home though, as Brian says fully working ones aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

gs

Post by gs » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:19 pm

If you want a poly analog that does the best strings, go for an MKS70 rack module. Get the PG800 if you want the realtime control. P600 is a pretty beefy synth for sure, but I would never use one for analog strings. Too crufty. The Roland on the other hand is like analog silk.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

Ezzo

Post by Ezzo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:42 pm

the_undercutters wrote:its sequencer is pretty damn c**p and its arpeggiator isn't my cup o tea.
I know the sequencer is supposed to be bad but still I'd take a c**p one over none at all. The samples I've heard of the P-600's arp sound pretty similar to the polysix's...not mind blowing but still very usable for my purposes. The fact that you can have the arp running and play notes over top is a BIG plus for me, it always annoyed me that you can't do that on the polysix. Basically the arp on Prophet will be a step up for me.
the_undercutters wrote:The sound is pretty good but I find that strings aren't its strong point unless you use another filter.
From what I've heard (which is basically just the presets) it has just the strings I'm looking for. It sounds like it can to strings comparable to the the arp omni II as well that buzzy RS09 sound. I also heard a preset that had a more "cimematic" sound. I think the being able to detune the VCO's gives the string patches the shimmer that the polysix's ensemble effect can't quite nail (pretty close though). I'm not the greatest programmer (yet) I couldn't sit down at synth and create a good string patch from scratch so having a wide variety of string and brass patches to tweak is a big help.
the_undercutters wrote: Sure its warmer than a VA but despite being VCO its not as fat as a Juno(yeah yeah chorus blah).
I was never a huge fan of the juno's sound. Maybe if I was trying to make more electonic style music. What I'm really looking for is a way to add different instrument sounds (strings, brass, organ) to my home recordings so fatness isn't always my number one priority and I find the juno's tend to sound a little too 80's in that department. One of my main gripes about my polysix (not sure if there all like this) is that it sounds just a little mushy, especially in the organ department. It is a pretty warm sounding machine but sometimes I wish it had a little more clarity and crispness.
the_undercutters wrote:Stepping on the cutoff isn't a problem if you use the CV input ;)
Somebody tried to explain the stepping problem the p-600's had but I'm not sure I fully understand it
the_undercutters wrote:No synth is unique, though what you make of it should be.
And bird in the hand gathers no moss 8)
Octave Cat SRM
Korg Polysix
Boss DR 770
Line 6 POD XT
Tascam DP01

Ezzo

Post by Ezzo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:55 pm

gs wrote:If you want a poly analog that does the best strings, go for an MKS70 rack module. Get the PG800 if you want the realtime control. P600 is a pretty beefy synth for sure, but I would never use one for analog strings. Too crufty. The Roland on the other hand is like analog silk.
I'm not sure what crufty is so I don't know if I want it or not :)

What is the advantage of the MKS70 over the JX-8P?
Do either have an arpegiator?
Octave Cat SRM
Korg Polysix
Boss DR 770
Line 6 POD XT
Tascam DP01

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:02 pm

I have a P600 turning up tomorrow :D (apparently fully working) and used to have a Polysix. Keep the thread going and I'll hopefully give you an opinion and demo of it soon.

Ezzo

Post by Ezzo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:15 pm

Sounds great JMP, I'd love to hear your opinion of how the two compare. Most reviews I've read end up having people comparing the Polysix to the juno 60 and and the prophet 600 to the prophet 5 :?
Octave Cat SRM
Korg Polysix
Boss DR 770
Line 6 POD XT
Tascam DP01

gs

Post by gs » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:33 pm

Ezzo wrote:
gs wrote:If you want a poly analog that does the best strings, go for an MKS70 rack module. Get the PG800 if you want the realtime control. P600 is a pretty beefy synth for sure, but I would never use one for analog strings. Too crufty. The Roland on the other hand is like analog silk.
I'm not sure what crufty is so I don't know if I want it or not :)
It's just my impression/opinion of the basic sound of that synth. It's pretty raw. Very good for electro-arpeggiated stuff, synth bass, analog brass (no doubt), but a little rough in the strings department. Some people like that, as has been mentioned. I prefer my analog strings more refined, though. It's just my opinion and sound preference.
Ezzo wrote:What is the advantage of the MKS70 over the JX-8P?
LAYERING. If you don't need to layer/split, a JX-8P will do.
Ezzo wrote:Do either have an arpegiator?
No, unfortunately.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

MissionBrown

Post by MissionBrown » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Ezzo wrote:
the_undercutters wrote:its sequencer is pretty damn c**p and its arpeggiator isn't my cup o tea.
I know the sequencer is supposed to be bad but still I'd take a c**p one over none at all. The samples I've heard of the P-600's arp sound pretty similar to the polysix's...not mind blowing but still very usable for my purposes. The fact that you can have the arp running and play notes over top is a BIG plus for me, it always annoyed me that you can't do that on the polysix. Basically the arp on Prophet will be a step up for me.

I ended up buying a Microkorg for my arpeggio control purposes and am very happy with the results.
I'm a fan of the Juno's arp, and even the An1X couldn't do it exactly but like the P600 it could play arps on one half of the keyboard and let you play on the other :)
The sequencer on the P600 is real time only(and can't be edited) and I could see why it'd be good for performance. but I'd be reluctant to take mine out on the road. Not that its poor build quality but because its a bit sensitive to temperature changes.
the_undercutters wrote:The sound is pretty good but I find that strings aren't its strong point unless you use another filter.
From what I've heard (which is basically just the presets) it has just the strings I'm looking for. It sounds like it can to strings comparable to the the arp omni II as well that buzzy RS09 sound. I also heard a preset that had a more "cimematic" sound. I think the being able to detune the VCO's gives the string patches the shimmer that the polysix's ensemble effect can't quite nail (pretty close though). I'm not the greatest programmer (yet) I couldn't sit down at synth and create a good string patch from scratch so having a wide variety of string and brass patches to tweak is a big help.

Its strings are more like buzzy pads but then again I do like that, the detune can turn things to mush. Also while layering voices I'd recommend using a guitar tuner because I've had patches end up sounding great but be shifted away from standard c-c tuning.
the_undercutters wrote: Sure its warmer than a VA but despite being VCO its not as fat as a Juno(yeah yeah chorus blah).
I was never a huge fan of the juno's sound. Maybe if I was trying to make more electonic style music. What I'm really looking for is a way to add different instrument sounds (strings, brass, organ) to my home recordings so fatness isn't always my number one priority and I find the juno's tend to sound a little too 80's in that department. One of my main gripes about my polysix (not sure if there all like this) is that it sounds just a little mushy, especially in the organ department. It is a pretty warm sounding machine but sometimes I wish it had a little more clarity and crispness.

How dare you imply that I make dance music... AlternaCountrySpaceRock thank you! :P
Seriously though I listened to an older recording of mine with a Juno 6 and was left nostalgic for its warmth and stringiness.
the_undercutters wrote:Stepping on the cutoff isn't a problem if you use the CV input ;)
Somebody tried to explain the stepping problem the p-600's had but I'm not sure I fully understand it
If you have the resonance up you can hear the filter "step" through voltages rather than be seamlessly smooth.
Its due to the low resolution digital reference gear for midi. You can use an LFO or a foot pedal to sweep it bypassing the digital circuitry.
the_undercutters wrote:No synth is unique, though what you make of it should be.
And bird in the hand gathers no moss 8)
And some synths just sound like some synths, nothing is unique when it cam off a production line ;)

Ezzo

Post by Ezzo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:54 pm

I'm convinced they're both great synths, its really a matter if which sounds the best and has the most stimulating features. One thing owning the polysix has taught me is that I am definatly in the right ballpark as for what I'm looking for in a poly synth.
Octave Cat SRM
Korg Polysix
Boss DR 770
Line 6 POD XT
Tascam DP01