THE eighties sounds ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Wiglaf
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 4:06 am
Real name: Tyler
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full
Location: Michigan, U.S...but not Detroit

Post by Wiglaf » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:45 am

You can't say 80's sounds without mentioning...

the TB-303!


(Well, acid did start in the 80's)
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

User avatar
Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Colorado Springs
Contact:

Post by Mixolydian » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:02 am

Yoozer wrote:
Mixolydian wrote: It's hard to believe that so much creative songwriting happened in one decade. Great new bands and one hit wonders were everywhere. How all this emerged after the dull rock scene of the late 70s is truely amazing. Now we have the post boy-band, post Britney clone era of over produced, Pro-Tools corrected, souless R&B.
And this doesn't differ from any it-used-to-be-better-a-decade-ago stories from earlier times. Get off my lawn, uphill both ways, etc :P. The best part is that those dull 70's rockers said exactly the same about the 80's.

Synths may change, the complaints generally don't ;).
I don't know. Even through the rose colored filter of time, it still seems that the early 80s was a rare era where bands weren't afraid to be creative and try new things. It helped too that it was one of those exceptional times that studios genuinely sought and encouraged new sounds. Man, was it cool.

BTW, this is the 80s singing style I like the most - one derived directly from punk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iwxkLByt68

User avatar
Analogue Crazy
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:31 pm
Real name: Rob
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK

Post by Analogue Crazy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:48 am

The Juno-60 gives you instant 80's sounds. Its Pads are classic 80's sounds.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 4230
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld
Location: Drammen, Norway

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:26 am

People will always claim the period they grew up in was the best. That's because we connect that time period with the most happy time of our lives, when we were young and carefree, not drenched in house mortgages, car payments, credit card bills and such. So we get the rose-tinted glasses on whenever that period is mentioned.

The 70's folks didn't like the 80's. The 90's people think today's music sucks compared to the hits back in 1992. Your grandmother will say everything was better in the 50's. It never stops.

User avatar
xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:15 am
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600
Location: los gatos, california
Contact:

Post by xpander » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:22 am

Bitexion wrote:People will always claim the period they grew up in was the best. That's because we connect that time period with the most happy time of our lives, when we were young and carefree, not drenched in house mortgages, car payments, credit card bills and such. So we get the rose-tinted glasses on whenever that period is mentioned.

The 70's folks didn't like the 80's. The 90's people think today's music sucks compared to the hits back in 1992. Your grandmother will say everything was better in the 50's. It never stops.
uhh.. ironically, that's because music is always getting better and it scares people. Jessica Simpson is a thousand times better than Bach, deal with it. and you know the new Paul McCartney album is going to blow away anything he did with the Beatles, dated trash like the White Album.

User avatar
Architecture
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:08 am
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!
Location: Denver, Colorado
Contact:

Post by Architecture » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:55 am

xpander wrote:
Bitexion wrote:People will always claim the period they grew up in was the best. That's because we connect that time period with the most happy time of our lives, when we were young and carefree, not drenched in house mortgages, car payments, credit card bills and such. So we get the rose-tinted glasses on whenever that period is mentioned.

The 70's folks didn't like the 80's. The 90's people think today's music sucks compared to the hits back in 1992. Your grandmother will say everything was better in the 50's. It never stops.
uhh.. ironically, that's because music is always getting better and it scares people. Jessica Simpson is a thousand times better than Bach, deal with it. and you know the new Paul McCartney album is going to blow away anything he did with the Beatles, dated trash like the White Album.
LOL! That was some good scarcasm there.

but replying to xpander, your absolutely right. For me music was great up till the year 2002. I think what happened over the years is I started listening to alot of different kind of music that I never listened to before, and started listening to alot of it. From there, it has become hard to find anything exciting or new these days, which is what has made me realize how much of todays music is trying to relive the 90's, or the 80's, since most bands seem to be out of ideas.

guitar Rock has hit the wall as far as progress goes, for the traditional set-up anyways. Unless we invent the electric sitar, then most of what has been done in rock has already been done.

User avatar
wardshorsehead
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:04 am

Re: Pro-Tools corrected?

Post by wardshorsehead » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:05 am

rdemon wrote:What do you mean by Pro-Tools corrected? Do you mean quantize?

How many of you guys quantize or just play raw?
no, i don't think the intention was to mean quantized.

when i think of "pro-tools corrected", i never think that is in reference to midi (after all it is a godawful application for that) but rather audio.

examples of things that are often overly "pro-tooled":

acoustic drums sound replaced with samples
drums all nudged and snapped to a grid to be "perfect"
vocals auto-tuned
vocal tracks comped from many, many takes versus a few punch-ins on a good take
"insert any other instrument" tracks comped from many, many takes versus a few punch-ins on a good take

etc...

basically, stripping everything human out of the process, to present things as "perfect" - not "perfect" as part of the creative choice in producing a mechanical effect, but under the auspices of a "normal" record.

sadly, this process describes virtually every major label release, and more indie releases than one might care to admit.

(i think the power of editing in the digital domain is fantastic, and when used to creative effect, is really cool. but that's a different bag than the turd polishing that i described above)
roland rs-09, roland juno-106, roland sh-3a, moog voyager OS, moog little phatty, microkorg, yamaha dx7, casio 1000p, sequential drumtraks, oberheim dmx, boss dr-110, rhodes 54, wurly 200a, hohner planet t.

User avatar
Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Colorado Springs
Contact:

Re: Pro-Tools corrected?

Post by Mixolydian » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:58 pm

wardshorsehead wrote:
rdemon wrote:What do you mean by Pro-Tools corrected? Do you mean quantize?

How many of you guys quantize or just play raw?
no, i don't think the intention was to mean quantized.

when i think of "pro-tools corrected", i never think that is in reference to midi (after all it is a godawful application for that) but rather audio.

examples of things that are often overly "pro-tooled":

acoustic drums sound replaced with samples
drums all nudged and snapped to a grid to be "perfect"
vocals auto-tuned
vocal tracks comped from many, many takes versus a few punch-ins on a good take
"insert any other instrument" tracks comped from many, many takes versus a few punch-ins on a good take

etc...

basically, stripping everything human out of the process, to present things as "perfect" - not "perfect" as part of the creative choice in producing a mechanical effect, but under the auspices of a "normal" record.

sadly, this process describes virtually every major label release, and more indie releases than one might care to admit.

(i think the power of editing in the digital domain is fantastic, and when used to creative effect, is really cool. but that's a different bag than the turd polishing that i described above)
That's exactly what I meant - taking the humaness out of the mix. It's why you can't tell Britney from Jennifer, or Jessica from Christina, etc. It's all been pitch corrected, time stretched, beat alligned, etc.

zielvis
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:32 pm
Gear: Logic Express 8, Cameleon 5000, Arturia Analog Factory Experience; Yamaha: PSS-480, PSS-590; Korg Kaossilator; G&L ASAT guitar, AdrenaLinn III.
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

Post by zielvis » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:04 pm

Eddie wrote:
Micke wrote:There's lots of Prophet 5 (incl. the bass lines) on Madonna's "Like A Virgin" (1984).

A Synclavier II and Juno-60 were also used in the making of the album but not as much as the Prophet.
On Madonna's latest album, she uses Roland Fantom X and Virus....??? A'm I right or a'm I wrong..??? Do u know anything about that Micke...??? I'm curious :)
I read that her latest album was made entirely in Logic Pro. She also took a few Macs on tour and used exactly the same settings for vocal processing as in recording sessions. There was an interesting article not so long ago in (as far as I remember) MusicTech magazine.
MacBook, Logic Express 8, Camel Audio Cameleon 5000, Microrock Pro, Arturia Analog Factory Experience, a bunch of plugins; Yamaha: PSS-480, PSS-590; G&L ASAT Leo Fender signature guitar, AdrenaLinn III, AdrenaLinn II

User avatar
Dano
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:03 pm
Location: Springfield, IL USA

Post by Dano » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:51 pm

Micke wrote:There's lots of Prophet 5 (incl. the bass lines) on Madonna's "Like A Virgin" (1984).

A Synclavier II and Juno-60 were also used in the making of the album but not as much as the Prophet.
There are about 4 patches on Material Girl that are basic yet classic 80's sounds - I'll have set aside some time to program them myself.

User avatar
celebutante
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 7:57 am
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

Post by celebutante » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:13 am

hearttimes wrote:take a linn kick drum. put it in a massive gated reverb. make it the loudest thing in the mix by far. regret you made it so loud 25 years from now. :)
Are you kidding? I do that on every song I do!?!?

http://celebusite.com/media.html

(ok, minus the gated reverb... but I own two LinnDrums... )
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:26 am
Band: Digital Screams
Location: In the Studio.....
Contact:

Re: THE eighties sounds ?

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:09 am

hinotori wrote:I know its general and subjective - but what do you all consider to be THE 80s sounds ?
Make a cup of tea and watch all these videos.











80's pop tunes used synths like, Yamaha DX7, Jupiter 8, Juno 60, Prophet 5, MKS80, SH101, D50, Emulator II and Fairlight and drum machines such as TR707, TR808, TR909, LinnDrum, DMX, DrumTrax. But also remember, that the overall sound of the 80's is also attributed to the production techniques of the time + use of analog outboard gear.

If you want to recreate the 80's sound as cheaply as possible....get yourself a DX7, Juno60 and TR707.

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

Website: http://www.youtube.com/user/DIGITALSCREAMS

User avatar
i_watch_stars
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:49 am
Location: Seattle

Post by i_watch_stars » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:56 am



You're welcome.

User avatar
hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1222
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:57 pm
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi
Location: Reykjavík, Iceland
Contact:

Post by hageir » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:19 am

i_watch_stars wrote:

You're welcome.
wow







Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

User avatar
Spike Vincent
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:11 pm
Location: People's Republic of The Forest of Dean,and why isn't there a Welsh flag option?Eh?

Post by Spike Vincent » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:42 am

Don't forget the midrange emphasis and massive compression at the production stage.Ahhh,the Eighties...Rampant out of control inflation,millions of unemployed,the constant threat of nuclear war......Lovely.
Currently plugged in to the mixer :
Korg EA1,Korg MS10 and some shortwave radios.

Post Reply