Controllable analog drum machines?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:15 pm

I would suggest against the MFB drum machines. You get a little less than what you pay for. Some people make it out to be the Robin Hood of drum machines ... it's unfortunately not.

Roland CR8000 would be a great option.

Tridact is onto something.. getting a 707 or RX5 (anything with a bunch of sliders for volume levels).. and then some drumbrains.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:39 pm

JUGEL wrote:I would suggest against the MFB drum machines. You get a little less than what you pay for.
How?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:53 pm

because it seems like it cost them no more than $50 to make.

Get something used with some real value.

cebec

Post by cebec » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:58 pm

I'm getting my MFB-502, tomorrow and I'll give you an unbiased opinion...

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:10 pm

if you mention that it sounds great after you sent it through 7 different ways of audio-processing .... I'll scream.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:26 pm

The weakening dollar has made the MFB stuff much less attractive than a year or two ago.

I owned a Synth Lite for a while and it was obvious why they are so cheap. It's not just the construction (which is barely above DIY quality) but also the software esp. the MIDI implementation and sequencer programming which is highly idiosyncratic on all the MFB stuff.

Read the 502 manual: you first program the odd 16th notes then the even 16th notes in a pattern...huh? There's no way to backup your programming. It can only be a MIDI slave. When tiggered from an external sequencer it uses a different note mapping then the Roland/GM standard (the note assignments in the manual are full of typos, BTW...typical for MFB docs). Lots of use of multi-function buttons even worse than Roland.

The only reason to get the 502 is you just can't afford to spend any more than $249 for an analog drum machine. At some point it's just worth paying more $$$ to get something that works in a more straightforward manner.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:29 pm

So has anybody used the Jomox MBase? I'd settle for a good analog kick for now.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:35 pm

JUGEL wrote:because it seems like it cost them no more than $50 to make.

Get something used with some real value.
Please, like any electronics cost more then $50 to make. I'm sure roland was paying top dollar for those paper PCBs they used in all their old gear.

I think the 502 sounds great at it is well made, I have owned mine for over 3 years, use it constantly, and never had any problems

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:38 pm

I have. It's good but I found it overly complicated. Keep playing around with where I wanted the pops and punch and such... for me I just kept messing with it all the time and not being productive.

So yeah .. it's great .. I'm just a retard I guess.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:56 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Read the 502 manual: you first program the odd 16th notes then the even 16th notes in a pattern...huh?
I agree with you...they do have some weird ways of programming everything. However, the 502's sequencing makes sense for the 4/4 techno fan (BD, HH, SD / Clap on all odd steps for the stereotypical beat). I could deal with it...since i know the 16 step grid for drums by heart anyway, but it is silly. The Synth II isn't that bad to sequence. The Poly and the lite seem ridiculous.

pour_furets

Post by pour_furets » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:58 am

meatballfulton wrote:
Read the 502 manual: you first program the odd 16th notes then the even 16th notes in a pattern...huh?
That's not actually true at all. You can program the notes in any order you want, you just have to use the shift button to access odd 16ths. It seems like an extra step, but it doesn't really get in the way of the intuitive sequencer programming.

There are a lot of drawbacks (cheap build, internal sequencer can only do 4/4 16th pattern, weak snare, sequence/pattern LEDs on the righthand side of unit cause interference on the main output) to the 502, but for its quirky sound I absolutely love it. It's definitely not a Roland sound at all- except maybe the bongos. It's just unique and fits perfectly with the kind of music I make. The flexibility, sound, ease of use, and fun factor make up for the shortcomings in my book. I'm curious to see what the 503 will sound like.
Trust me, ma'am. I'm a cryptozoologist.

www.soundclick.com/pourfurets

Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Post by Cruel Hoax » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:53 am

supermel74 wrote:So has anybody used the Jomox MBase? I'd settle for a good analog kick for now.
I'm also interested, if anybody's got some experience to share.

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:22 pm

Cruel Hoax wrote:
supermel74 wrote:So has anybody used the Jomox MBase? I'd settle for a good analog kick for now.
I'm also interested, if anybody's got some experience to share.

-Hoax
As am I. I've had my eye on the MBase for a bit now but haven't had a chance to take a closer look. Any oprinions would be appreciated.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:14 pm

pour_furets wrote: I'm curious to see what the 503 will sound like.
Me too... that looks promising.