What happened to the Blofeld?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
severen

Post by severen » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:10 pm

clusterchord wrote: i do hope stromberg comes out, a sthe only reason why i kinda strayed form the q/q+ line is limited wavetabling functionality. stromberg is supposed to be a marriage of the xt n q line. if they never out with it, im gonna feel like a fool for not picking this beauty while they were avail. not that i have the cash now, but my god im in love with this design.
It’s just as I thought!
I want a PPG Wavetables!!

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:22 pm

the stromberg does look like a beauty... The PPG modelled filter from the Q line mixed with full wavetable functionality? Too bad I won't be able to afford it, haha.

Track2

Post by Track2 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:58 pm

Fingers crossed for the Stromberg here too.

If it ever sees the light of day it will also be like having an XTk with the benifit of analog filters from the Q+(with the filter bank option that is planned).

Now that is something devoutly to be desired :D

The analog filters on the Q+ are simply awesome- very growly, with an organic aliveness, full of energy and presence, and the resonance characteristics are wild.

My concerns are that it will, however be very, very pricey and will be in development forever.
Triton ProX with MOSS, Z1, Q+ Phoenix, XTk, microQ, Supernova II, KS Rack, MS2000R, A6 Andromeda, Ion, Proteus 2500

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:59 am

Q+ owners, pls get me out of the darkon this one:

are analog filters on Q+ lowpass only, or they are multimode like on heavenly WAVE (iirc) ?

and if they are lowpass, are there any signs, piece of info, that might ever so slightly suggest that Stromberg might stray from the lowpass-only norm, and give us a multimode analog filter?? keepin fingers crossed..

if that happens, my long quest for holy grail of wavetabling/hybrid synth would be over. i cannot afford WAVE, and further i'm way to afraid of what happens when it dies. and it has a very unfinished OS and very slow panel update frequency (jumping values), at least according to seasoned WAVE user, Till Copper.

but we all know how all holy grail seekers ended up, don't we.. :( :(

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Track2

Post by Track2 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:56 am

Clusterchord

Q+ has two independent analog low pass filters per voice , a 24 db and a 12 db.

You can run the two filters either in parallel or serial (or indeed a blend in between). You can also, of course, run one of the analog filters with one of the digital filters.

I intend to experiment running my xtk through the analog filters on the Q+, I may well be missing something, but presumably if I trigger the xtk via midi using the Q+ as a controller keyboard (but only send the external audio in to the Q's analog filters) I can that way get full envelope etc functionality in the Q filter section per voice as if the xt's wavetables were comming from the q's oscillators section. Or am I missing something ??

It may well be that Waldorf do intend to increase the type of analog filters on the expansion board for the stromberg. All I have been able to find at the moment is that they refer to an expansion board with 16 analog filters. They dont specify the type of filters. The Q+ has an expansion with 16 analog filters so I'm figuring that it will be the same, but it could be multimode.......... we'll have to wait and see I guess. and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and........

:wink:
Triton ProX with MOSS, Z1, Q+ Phoenix, XTk, microQ, Supernova II, KS Rack, MS2000R, A6 Andromeda, Ion, Proteus 2500

steveman

Post by steveman » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:18 pm

Track2 wrote:Clusterchord

I intend to experiment running my xtk through the analog filters on the Q+, I may well be missing something, but presumably if I trigger the xtk via midi using the Q+ as a controller keyboard (but only send the external audio in to the Q's analog filters) I can that way get full envelope etc functionality in the Q filter section per voice as if the xt's wavetables were comming from the q's oscillators section. Or am I missing something ??
You need seperate outs and ins for each voice for that to work properly. You'd also have to ensure that each voice out of the Xtk went to the 'correct' filter being triggered on the Q+. You could do it with 1 voice easily enough :)

Track2

Post by Track2 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:29 pm

Thanks Steveman!

I knew it couldnt be that simple :wink:

still good for monphonic drones eh?

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:13 pm

Track2 wrote:Clusterchord

Q+ has two independent analog low pass filters per voice , a 24 db and a 12 db.

You can run the two filters either in parallel or serial (or indeed a blend in between). Y
cool , ok not mutlimode but waay better than having only a 24dB/oct.

im guessing 10:1 that they keep the exact same setup for filtering in Stromberg. but of course i can hope that they indeed give us mulitmode.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:05 pm

So, still no news on this synth?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:42 pm

Looks like a piece of vapourware to me.

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:17 pm

JSRockit wrote:So, still no news on this synth?
:-k I don't understand why it takes so long. It's not like they have to build something from scratch... The Blofeld is just a Micro Q with a new user interface and a faster processor....

it was anounced for June, then September, now for December... it's getting boring :roll:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:21 pm

I remember Waldorf telling me it would ship in August... that was months ago. I'm thinking it may be vaporware as well.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:05 pm

Could they perhaps gotten into some sort of legal trouble over the name? The James Bond character Ernst Stavro Blofeld and his criminal organisation SPECTRE were at the centre of a legal dispute between Ian Fleming and screenwriter Kevin McClory, who co-created them, so there is precident for the name causing problems.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

DocT

Post by DocT » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:00 pm

JSRockit wrote: I'm thinking it may be vaporware as well.
It is in development.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:27 pm

DocT wrote:
JSRockit wrote: I'm thinking it may be vaporware as well.
It is in development.
Yeah, we all know that... but when a company says it will be released in August...and then you hear nothing after that... you have to wonder.