What happened to the Blofeld?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:23 pm

JSRockit wrote:
actuel wrote:has this pic always been sitting on the Nova server: http://www.novamusik.com/images/screen_ ... lofeld.jpg
That I'm not sure of, but that is the same unit I've always seen.
Indeed, and I'm pretty sure the production version will have a red knob.

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:49 pm

JSRockit wrote:The thing is that all the pics of this have been prototypes... and the features were subject to change... so hopefully the bigger price tag means they beefed it up a bit... maybe by adding some ins or multi-outs etc.
Nothing new I'm afraid. The "techincal" specifications are fixed since a long time. The only aspect that was still in discussion was the included waveform (which one? how many?). We now know.

The Blofeld will be a bargain in Europe (€399!) but for you guys in US, I'm not sure if it's really worth it. $699 seems heavy...

The dollar is really low, Waldorf has to compensate for this, but this price reduces its appeal dramatically. Everybody can buy a sub $500 synth. But above $500, some people will think twice...

By the way, I really hope the OS is mature enough. Some Waldorf synths were extremely buggy in the past. The infamous Q, for example, was released while it was still in development :(

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:53 pm

Zarith wrote:
The Blofeld will be a bargain in Europe (€399!) but for you guys in US, I'm not sure if it's really worth it. $699 seems heavy...
I'm not sure why everyone is assuming it will be priced at $699. in the US...

€399. is equal to a little less than $599.USD, so I can't see how this would be a loss for Waldorf. I'm optimistic on this one. :D
Last edited by T7 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

actuel

Post by actuel » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:58 pm

actuel wrote:The quote I got from Novamusik for $699.00.
feels funny to quote myself! :lol:

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:03 pm

actuel wrote:
How did you get that quote from Nova Musik? When I add the Blofeld to my cart, I get a quote of $0. Seems to me, it's not yet determined.

actuel

Post by actuel » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:07 pm

T7 wrote:
actuel wrote:
How did you get that quote from Nova Musik? When I add the Blofeld to my cart, I get a quote of $0. Seems to me. it's not yet determined.
it was really crazy how i did it, i emailed them and asked them!!!

here's a direct copy and paste:

Hi Ryan,

We should have them in the next few weeks! They are going to sell for $699, although we will have a pre order special.

Best,
Eric
Novamusik.com

_____

magical 8)

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:10 pm

actuel wrote:
T7 wrote:
actuel wrote: feels funny to quote myself! :lol:
How did you get that quote from Nova Musik? When I add the Blofeld to my cart, I get a quote of $0. Seems to me. it's not yet determined.
it was really crazy how i did it, i emailed them and asked them!!!
Gotta love the power of the Internets :lol:

BTW, $0. is one h**l of a pre-order special! :wink:

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:30 pm

actuel wrote:So far the only improvements I've heard have been shared hear already:

from 25 voices to 50
and the XT(k) series wavetables
Not to be sniffed at. This thing looks excellent.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:38 pm

Ok... I'm really tempted by the blofeld... low price big specs... but I have a Microwave2... The question is... Does it makes sense? What the blofeld does that a Microwave doesn't and viceversa?

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:51 pm

mao wrote:Ok... I'm really tempted by the blofeld... low price big specs... but I have a Microwave2... The question is... Does it makes sense? What the blofeld does that a Microwave doesn't and viceversa?
It has MicroQ sounds...I can't wait for this!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:24 am

The Blofeld would be a sub US$500 synth if the US dollar hadn't been in a tailspin lately. In Australian dollars the Blofeld at US$699 now is cheaper than I paid for my desktop Evolver three and a half years ago (it was US$525 or so back then I think).

I guess these are the things that you've got to take into account when you're judging the relative costs of things. It's still pretty good value I reckon, provided it works as intended from the start and sounds as good as it should.

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:40 am

$575 from one seller here.
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:20 am

carbon111 wrote:$575 from one seller here.
:D

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:45 am

Zarith wrote:
JSRockit wrote:The thing is that all the pics of this have been prototypes... and the features were subject to change... so hopefully the bigger price tag means they beefed it up a bit... maybe by adding some ins or multi-outs etc.
Nothing new I'm afraid. The "techincal" specifications are fixed since a long time. The only aspect that was still in discussion was the included waveform (which one? how many?). We now know.

The dollar is really low, Waldorf has to compensate for this, but this price reduces its appeal dramatically. Everybody can buy a sub $500 synth. But above $500, some people will think twice...

By the way, I really hope the OS is mature enough. Some Waldorf synths were extremely buggy in the past. The infamous Q, for example, was released while it was still in development :(
$699 seems too high. With the current spot rate, they should be able to sell it for $599. I'd say that $599 would be pretty damn attractive - that's about what the Ion sells for, and (to my mind) this is a much cooler synth.

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:10 am

droolmaster0 wrote:
Zarith wrote:

$699 seems too high. With the current spot rate, they should be able to sell it for $599. I'd say that $599 would be pretty damn attractive - that's about what the Ion sells for, and (to my mind) this is a much cooler synth.
Agreed.

Seeing as how €399. is roughly equal to $599., I can't imagine how the value of the dollar would be a factor in a $699. street price. My money is on a street price of around $599. after the dust settles. :wink: