What happened to the Blofeld?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Synthetica

Post by Synthetica » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:57 pm

And I received mine today, nice to have some Waldorf sound back in my setup :)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:18 am

Synthetica wrote:And I received mine today, nice to have some Waldorf sound back in my setup :)
Cool...in the US or elsewhere?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Synthetica

Post by Synthetica » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:39 am

Yes, in the US seems they are ever so slowly trickling in. I'm sure Waldorf could sell a bunch if they could just step up production a bit.

I have had a microQ, Q-Rack and Microwave XT in the past (wish I never had to sell but thats a different story), and the Blofeld fits right in with my expectations, it sounds exactly how I wanted it to sound. Amazing what they can cram in this little box (it is tiny).

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:23 am

Nova Musik said they had 50 people waiting to buy these. That's pretty good for one store.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:48 pm

I'm glad others are finally getting theirs... I felt like I was a bullshitter for having mine so early............ over a week now! ha

Maybe someone more technical than me will be able to assure you all that its amazing! and give a bit of a review?

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:42 am

JSRockit wrote:Nova Musik said they had 50 people waiting to buy these. That's pretty good for one store.
1500 - 2000 would be pretty good for one store overall. 50 is a decent preorder number but I'd offer it's only that high after all these constant delays.

It's a small market with tiny little profit margins. Waldorf have to do it out of passion - they ain't doing it for the money lately - because not much has actually sold apparently and they're not making much off our $ anyway. And if they do make good money from it they deserve every penny from making nice synths.

With the retail cut, distribution, shipping, taxes, marketing, manufacturing and overhead ect.. it's amazing there are boutique synth companies at all. And then we all groan when they get boards made in China to reduce costs.

I'd imagine it must be hard for those waiting for the blofeld but imagine how hard it is for the dudes at Waldorf - I bet they would like to get paid yo after all that work designing it and then get started on the Stromberg. 3rd party delays can devastate a small run operation... and good luck getting additional financial backing when you have constant delays that are often out of your control.

Small business is tough guys and as creative types It's important to support creative ideas - and they are often most pure at an independent level.

I'm hope there will be more examples of the presets at some point. The many ones I've heard so far are good enough to help me on my opinion on whether I'd like to try it out - I don't play the same kind of music Trippler does but I can still get what I need to hear from his electric blues. Money isn't everything to that synth wizard - that's obvious by his many constructive demos off the clock as well I'm sure.

It always feels weird to read so much debate and love/hate over tools that are totally up to the user to make sound good - but I love it. It’s like a 12-step meeting filled with OCD and asperger syndrome casualties in here sometimes. Myself included.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

kogmachine
Gear: Probably way too much gear

Post by kogmachine » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:30 am

Damn, I want my Q+ PE so bad. I just hope my money helps with the development of the Stromberg cause I want one of those too. I think the Q+, Fusion, Andromeda and Virus TI will tide me over until the Stromberg is released.
Don't be afraid, ever... cause this is just a ride.

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:27 am

I've acquired Komplexer, so this will do during my wait for my Blofeld.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:45 pm

megawatt wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Nova Musik said they had 50 people waiting to buy these. That's pretty good for one store.
1500 - 2000 would be pretty good for one store overall. 50 is a decent preorder number but I'd offer it's only that high after all these constant delays.
1500-2000 at one store? Isn't that expecting a bit too much? I would imagine that is expecting too much for even the most popular of synths no?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:07 pm

megawatt wrote:1500 - 2000 would be pretty good for one store overall. 50 is a decent preorder number
2000 per store? You have to be insane. Korg didn't even sell that many M1s :roll:

100 per store would be a major phenomenon.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:50 pm

how many stores are selling it in the US?

We're talking about a $700 synth

100 per store equals what $30000 US profit per store? That may seem like a lot but you still have to take into account other cost when bringing this to market.
Last edited by megawatt on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:49 pm

megawatt wrote:
I gotta call bullsh*t on that high a number. In many cases manufacturers don't make more than 2000 units of a synth in a year.

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:04 am

T7 wrote:
megawatt wrote:
I gotta call bullsh*t on that high a number. In many cases manufacturers don't make more than 2000 units of a synth in a year.
Fair enough - I was talking about life of product numbers but I still can't figure out how they can sustain a real business on such low quantities for a relativly cheap instrument.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:42 am

megawatt wrote:Fair enough - I was talking about life of product numbers but I still can't figure out how they can sustain a real business on such low quantities for a relativly cheap instrument.
That's why you always see synth companies going out of business.

F5D

Post by F5D » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:03 am

Just got mine yesterday! I hadn't even planned to get one now (because thomann had some difficulties supplying them and currently don't have a midi or audio interface at all! :D ) but happened to see an advert on the website of a local music store so I picked up one.

Anyway, only 1 hour of testing so far but this is a true beast considering the price. I hope waldorf sells tons of these and gets money for designing the stromberg etc. :)

The blofeld looks very nice on my desk. I like the looks, the aluminum knobs etc. The big LCD is a huge bonus. I don't understand why Virus TI doesn't have one and costs several times more! The sound is pure waldorf and it is nice to see the ppg filter in there. The sound quality is very good.

Thank you Waldorf! 8)
F5D @ SoundCloud, futuresounddesign.com - sounds for your synthesizers