What happened to the Blofeld?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:22 am

F5D wrote:Just got mine yesterday! I hadn't even planned to get one now (because thomann had some difficulties supplying them and currently don't have a midi or audio interface at all! :D ) but happened to see an advert on the website of a local music store so I picked up one.

Anyway, only 1 hour of testing so far but this is a true beast considering the price. I hope waldorf sells tons of these and gets money for designing the stromberg etc. :)

The blofeld looks very nice on my desk. I like the looks, the aluminum knobs etc. The big LCD is a huge bonus. I don't understand why Virus TI doesn't have one and costs several times more! The sound is pure waldorf and it is nice to see the ppg filter in there. The sound quality is very good.

Thank you Waldorf! 8)
the virus TI doesnt have one because it doesn't need one.

the blofeld's big LCD is so it can stick menu commands to each knob and make everything make sense.

the virus has enough knobs that a big lcd is not needed.

either way though

congrats on the new synth!

i'm definitley interested in one of these whenever they get in better supply.

I'm hoping my guitar center iwll have one I can try out
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:26 pm

F5D wrote:The sound is pure waldorf and it is nice to see the ppg filter in there. The sound quality is very good.
since you also got the XT, would you share about how both sounds next to each other? mainly the filter? congrats for the new synth.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

F5D

Post by F5D » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:38 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
F5D wrote:The sound is pure waldorf and it is nice to see the ppg filter in there. The sound quality is very good.
since you also got the XT, would you share about how both sounds next to each other? mainly the filter? congrats for the new synth.
Well, the problem right now is that I don't have a proper audio interface so I have only the blofeld connected to my mac's built in audio interface. I cannot connect 2 synths at the same time to be able to compare them easily. Also the cable of my headphones is broken, only the left side is working and I have an inflammation of the left ear so I cannot hear well. It takes a couple of weeks that I can hear again. lol :lol:

I will report once I can hear again and get a fireface800. :wink:
F5D @ SoundCloud, futuresounddesign.com - sounds for your synthesizers

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:59 am

im joining in on request that u try to compare the waldorfs u have, but i would broaden the comparison to microwave as well... if u can.-. :D

i also have XT and orignal microwave, and loved some stuff ive heard on Blofeld demos, so i wanna know is there a point in having it beside these two waldrofs i have already... what would be Blofelds pros/cons comparably..etc..

tom

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:37 am

F5D wrote:I will report once I can hear again and get a fireface800. :wink:
it's ok, just take your time. I just want to know the comparison between this and the XT/uQ. from the demos I've heard, it sounds dirtier (in a good way) and capable to do bass better than the uQ, but a bit lack of the mid area which I like from the uQ. but demos can't be accurate, I would like to hear about this from a real user.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:36 pm

There is a huge review in the latest Future Music mag. It gets close to top marks on everything.

Read it in a newsstand.

astraeus000

Post by astraeus000 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:34 am

according to a lady at Audiomidi, they are expecting their first shipment of the Blofeld anytime. She also mentioned that the US distibutor has a shipment coming mid-March.

Anyone else just get one in the US. More impressions ???

Can't wait..... Just praying there are no issues.

I'm rather surprised there arent more You Tube demos posted. :?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:30 am

astraeus000 wrote: Anyone else just get one in the US. More impressions ???
UPS brings mine tomorrow.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

sequence

Post by sequence » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:33 pm

JSRockit wrote:
WHOA! :shock: Stop the presses!! :shock:
twentyfirst century fizMO man

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:00 pm

sequence wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
WHOA! :shock: Stop the presses!! :shock:
Yes, currently awaiting its arrival...good day to have a holiday (ie no work).

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:09 pm

Can't remember what I've posted here, and what I've posted elsewhere and privately.

I had a Blofeld briefly, and sold it - not because I didn't like it, but because I realized that when one came available to me I picked it up out of curiousity and Waldorf loyalty more than need. My Q+ arrived several days later, and I'm in the midst of selling all of my bodily fluids and my family members into slavery to maximize a modcan A purchase, so I decided to sell it.

I REALLY liked it. There are 2 issues with the current firmware that potential purchasers should be aware of. However Waldorf expects them to be fixed with the next update, afaik.

The volume level is very low. This is not only a matter of the way that the presets are set up. It is just very low.

A bigger issue is that there is a problem with writing into the flash memory. This has been elaborated on the Waldorf list, and it is very evident. If you try to restore the factory patches via sysex, you'll find that many of the patches get written into the Blofeld as 'init patch'. In addition, patches tend to also get initialized without performing that procedure (I was surprised to see about 30 of my patches were initialized patches, when I hadn't done that to nearly that many).

I'd say that the sound is smoother than previous Waldorf synths. My reaction was that it was neither good nor bad, but different. Perhaps slightly less distinctive (?) but I still liked the sound quite a bit. Wolfram has written on the Waldorf list that the brightness parameter can get the sound back to the previous Waldorf synths - I didn't notice that in my meanderings.

The large screen is really very nice. Once you get how the instrument is set up, editing is really very intuitive. There is some knob turning to get to some of the parameters (the more common ones are right there for you), but they are very logically placed.

The machine is really very well built and attractive.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Well, I've had mine for about an hour. Yes, I'm happy with it. The one thing I was suprised about...is that it does bass much better than the Monomachine... which, isn't hard to beat... but was one of the things I was hoping for in the Blofeld. Sure, it isn't an analog bass...but it has weight to the bottom end and I'm more of a digital fan these days anyway. Well, back to trying it out.

Edit...ok, tried it for another half hour or so... the one bug I've come across is that not only is the volume low...it is not uniform across all keys. That's not good. However, there is alot of potential in this machine.
Last edited by JSRockit on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

astraeus000

Post by astraeus000 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:23 pm

So, you are liking it. Are you loving it?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:25 pm

astraeus000 wrote:So, you are liking it. Are you loving it?
So far, liking it. However, I think I will love it eventually. It certainly is my type of synth. Sort of like my beloved monomachine, but different enough to not be redundant.

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:37 pm

JSRockit wrote:Edit...ok, tried it for another half hour or so... the one bug I've come across is that not only is the volume low...it is not uniform across all keys. That's not good. However, there is alot of potential in this machine.

Is this something that could be fixed in as OS upgrade? Can ALL these bugs be fixed? I'm thinking of cancelling my order until these get worked out. Different volume across the keys and overall low volume? That's garbage!