What happened to the Blofeld?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:44 pm

sensorium wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Edit...ok, tried it for another half hour or so... the one bug I've come across is that not only is the volume low...it is not uniform across all keys. That's not good. However, there is alot of potential in this machine.

Is this something that could be fixed in as OS upgrade? Can ALL these bugs be fixed? I'm thinking of cancelling my order until these get worked out. Different volume across the keys and overall low volume? That's garbage!
The overall low volume only affects some patches...it's not that big of a deal really...however the problem I'm having is a bit of a pain. I wrote to the waldorf list to see if anyone else has the issue.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

astraeus000

Post by astraeus000 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:49 pm

I read about the low Volume prob on the Waldorf forum list. Wolfram assured that the problem would be shortly fixed in the next OS update. I dont think its going to be an issue for that much longer.

http://www.waldorf-forum.com/pipermail/ ... hread.html

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:35 am

sensorium wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Edit...ok, tried it for another half hour or so... the one bug I've come across is that not only is the volume low...it is not uniform across all keys. That's not good. However, there is alot of potential in this machine.

Is this something that could be fixed in as OS upgrade? Can ALL these bugs be fixed? I'm thinking of cancelling my order until these get worked out. Different volume across the keys and overall low volume? That's garbage!
Different volume across the keys sounds like it's the patch programming, not a software issue. I didn't notice that...

actuel

Post by actuel » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:44 am

good to hear JS. encouraging

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:13 am

JSRockit wrote:The one thing I was suprised about...is that it does bass much better than the Monomachine...
hmm, it comes closer to what I suspected about it. congrats for the new addition.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:10 pm

droolmaster0 wrote: Different volume across the keys sounds like it's the patch programming, not a software issue. I didn't notice that...
Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus... it is only on a few patches.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:19 pm

JSRockit wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote: Different volume across the keys sounds like it's the patch programming, not a software issue. I didn't notice that...
Actually, it was acknowledged on the Waldorf list today by Wolfram that it's a bug that they are working on.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:47 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
Actually, it was acknowledged on the Waldorf list today by Wolfram that it's a bug that they are working on.
Ah, I didn't notice that on the list...still trying to get used to how that list works. Thanks.

astraeus000

Post by astraeus000 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:20 pm

I'm wondering how the use of the Effects is going to cut in on available polyphony, as according to specs the Waldorf has "up to 25 voices." (I believe I read.) I plan on digging into that Multimode quite a bit.

So, come on Audiomidi, where's my Blo' already ?

Synthetica

Post by Synthetica » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:07 am

astraeus000 wrote:I'm wondering how the use of the Effects is going to cut in on available polyphony, as according to specs the Waldorf has "up to 25 voices." (I believe I read.) I plan on digging into that Multimode quite a bit.

If you plan on using Multimode for layered sounds be aware that each sound must be on its own Midi channel in the Blo's current OS, so you cant do a layered sound by using sound 1 midi channel 1, sound 2 midi channel 1, they are hardcoded midi channels for each sound (sound 1 midi 1, Sound 2 midi 2, etc). This was a bit of a dissappointment to me, but is on the wish list. If you are going to use a sequencer to run it you should be fine, or a keyboard that has an option to send on multiple midi channels at once.

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:15 am

Synthetica wrote:
astraeus000 wrote:I'm wondering how the use of the Effects is going to cut in on available polyphony, as according to specs the Waldorf has "up to 25 voices." (I believe I read.) I plan on digging into that Multimode quite a bit.

If you plan on using Multimode for layered sounds be aware that each sound must be on its own Midi channel in the Blo's current OS, so you cant do a layered sound by using sound 1 midi channel 1, sound 2 midi channel 1, they are hardcoded midi channels for each sound (sound 1 midi 1, Sound 2 midi 2, etc).
That Blo's. I hope this changes. I can't imagine why this isn't standard on a multitimbral synth with a single stereo output.

astraeus000

Post by astraeus000 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:31 am

Yes, I forgot about that .....that does stink....hopefully that will be a future fix. I usually just copy my sequencer-tracks over anyways, and reasign separate Midi channels, so it shouldnt be too big a deal. Strange they did that, but I suppose there is some reasoning behind it.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:59 am

I guess they did that for people like me...who write in mono synth lines and will only sequence one sound at a time, per track.

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:49 am

JSRockit wrote:I guess they did that for people like me...who write in mono synth lines and will only sequence one sound at a time, per track.
That's the whole point of having the ability to layer 16 timbres on one MIDI channel: It makes for some very rich sounding patches and allows for deeper programming possibilities. Just ask any FS1R owner.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:59 pm

T7 wrote:
JSRockit wrote:I guess they did that for people like me...who write in mono synth lines and will only sequence one sound at a time, per track.
That's the whole point of having the ability to layer 16 timbres on one MIDI channel: It makes for some very rich sounding patches and allows for deeper programming possibilities. Just ask any FS1R owner.
Well, to me it is not the whole point, because it is not how I work. I was just stating that there are people who use it exactly the way they have it set-up. I wasn't saying that they shouldn't allow for both uses.