What happened to the Blofeld?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SWAN

Post by SWAN » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:10 pm

T7 wrote: That's the whole point of having the ability to layer 16 timbres on one MIDI channel:
woundnt that just create a giant mess?

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:06 pm

SWAN wrote:
T7 wrote: That's the whole point of having the ability to layer 16 timbres on one MIDI channel:
woundnt that just create a giant mess?

Nope. You don't have to use all 16 layers. The FS1R uses 4 layers to make many of its patches, and I assure you there is no mess. :wink:

astraeus000

Post by astraeus000 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:13 pm

2 or 3 layers does quite nicely.....just like a cake.

So, Mr Rockit, how's it goin with your Blofeld ??? Have you sequenced with it yet?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:48 pm

astraeus000 wrote:
So, Mr Rockit, how's it goin with your Blofeld ??? Have you sequenced with it yet?
Unfortunately no. I am working on mixing new tracks and doing vocals (as well as going to work), so the Blofeld has been neglected. I've just messed around with the presets and changing parameters on those using a midi keyboard.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

masstronaut

Re: What happened to the Blofeld?

Post by masstronaut » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:36 am

I've got a question that perhaps a Blofeld user can answer.

I'm looking at the specs of the multi-timbral mode and it looks a bit basic. i.e. you can't save multis. Is that right?

So for instance that would make it rather tedious using multi mode in a live situation - you'd have to either use the same map for each song or remap it by hand between songs. Maybe I am missing something, seems a bit odd.

Also, did anyone ever establish if the desktop is likely to get the user sample facility? I see in the Blofeld Keyboard thread that someone thinks there's a 64Mb Flash chip in there that might serve that purpose... Or maybe it's just for the O/S and wavetables.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:57 am

Yeah, only one multi can be saved...whatever you used last...unless they've changed that. It is one of the reasons mine is gone.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:54 am

JSRockit wrote:Yeah, only one multi can be saved...whatever you used last...unless they've changed that. It is one of the reasons mine is gone.
From Stefan Stenzel on the Waldorf list a couple of months ago:
"Hello,

Currently a firmware with true Multimode and 128 Multi Programs is
subject to beta testing. A release version will be available soon.

Stefan"

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:18 pm

Thanks guys. I hope they sort it out, seems a strange omission, maybe they got bored after doing all the difficult bits. :p

While we're here - how are people finding their Blos now it's been out a while? What's the polyphony in use like?

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:00 pm

Anyone know the latest on the blofeld multi-mode? I saw somewhere advertising it as having 100 multi-programs, I sure hope so.

In the meantime...the UK price seems to have gone up :(

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:04 am

masstronaut wrote:Anyone know the latest on the blofeld multi-mode? I saw somewhere advertising it as having 100 multi-programs, I sure hope so.
The new firmware version (1.11) sports "Full functional Multimode with 128 memory slots". It does work.

But somehow they managed to screw up quite seriously the clocked delay and arpeggiator when synced to an external midi clock source. These are features I use all the time, and I can do without multimode for now, so I've downgraded to 1.04 and wait for 1.12 to fix this.

The multimode worked nicely, however, for about the whole 10 minutes I kept the 1.11 installed.
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:04 pm

audible wrote:somehow they managed to screw up quite seriously the clocked delay and arpeggiator when synced to an external midi clock source.
Damn, really?

Come on Waldorf!

By the way, did you happen to notice if it was possible to go in and edit the individual parts while in multi mode?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:20 pm

Yeah you can. By holding the shift button, you can edit the waveforms, filter settings and all the other stuff while you have a part selected.

And neatly enough, every part number corresponds to a MIDI channel automatically, so it's really easy to set up the right MIDI tracks for each part you have planned in your sequencer. Channel #3 is part 3, Channel #4 is part 4 etc.

And even nicer, all this works through a USB cable, so you don't even need MIDI ports on your soundcard.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:32 pm

1.12 is up, which should fix the MIDI clock receive.

http://www.waldorfmusic.de/en/archive?r ... eld/system

Thanks Waldorf.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:20 am

hmm, tried out the new update last night and for some reason it sounded different (I think) Have they done anything with the sound at all?
also everything seemed to run smoother and the dials seemed more accurate to what was being affected.
BUT 1 bad thing I instantly noticed is that all of the occilator and Waveform names have messed up and are now just musical symbols from the arp section.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:09 pm

Are you on the Waldorf user-forum mailing list? Someone there reported a similar problem I think, maybe it was you.

Seems that connecting via USB on Windows (Vista?) machines can still cause a few problems, various weird things happening. What is all this USB MIDI c**p anyway? What was wrong with 5-pin DIN that's what I want to know? ;)

User forum mailing list: http://www.waldorf-forum.com/cgi-bin/ma ... user-forum