What happened to the Blofeld?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:30 am

Well, I've had my Blofeld for about a week, and my Q+ for a couple of days. For 2 reasons I've decided to sell the Blofeld - in my current revision and consolidation of my setup, I really don't want to have 2 synths that are (to a great degree) quite similar. Yes the Blofeld has a different sound, and more wavetables, etc - but the Q+ with its interface, analog filters, and (I'm afraid to say) ruby red demeanor is what beckons to me. Nice to have both, but the blofeld doesn't add enough to warrant keeping it.

But I'd keep it anyway (I am fond of it) except that selling it will buy me 1 or almost 2 modcan format modules - and that to me adds more to my current setup than the Blofeld.

There are a couple of issues with firmware 1.01 - I believe they've been written about - if you're interested, pm me and I'll elaborate. I know they've been talked about on the Waldorf list and probably here - the low volume level, and the init problem. Both should be fixed with the next firmware update.

In any case - I'd like not to take a hit on this. I had to pay tax and shipping, and this shipped price does represent a slight loss. I'd like $675 shipped to anywhere in the continental U.S. Anywhere else, be prepared to pay shipping.

I'm about to place this post in the fs section, but since people have been looking for a Blofeld, I thought I'd post it here first.

Gene

sequence

Post by sequence » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:13 am

GeneralBigbag wrote: You're just sad that nobody joined you in calling it the Slofeld :)
Hey GBB howzaboot "No-feld" :D c'mon join in! :lol:
twentyfirst century fizMO man

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:34 am

droolmaster0 wrote:There are a couple of issues with firmware 1.01 - the low volume level
hmm, this is strange..most Waldorf's known for it's hot output. Hope this can be fix with the next OS. There are also some OS problems with early uQ unit, but now my Grey uQ works like charm.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:37 am

I think I was a little hasty in my last post saying that the presets are s**t and the volume levels of some are random........ I went through all the presets over the weekend and there are some good ones! I take it the ones with DocT at the end are patches written by the guy who posted the demos!? some nice stuff!
Someone asked about "can it do good drums?" well yes it can, not that the presets show how well.
as for the volume, its still a little low overall but I just did not give the patch enough time to make itself known. ha
there still are some poor ones but they have gone now and are replaced by some nasty stuff.

I can understand why people are canceling because of the wait but seriously, Waldorf have great products and should be supported through their re-birth so buying a blofeld now will help them secure their future and get stromberg into production.
I love this machine already and its sound is amazing! so warm and clean and then in a few twiddles its harsh and dirty!

ITS WORTH THE WAIT! SUPPORT WALDORF!!! haha

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:52 pm

The more people that cancel their orders the shorter the wait, the shorter the wait the less people cancel their orders. Brilliant!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:48 pm

Drool...I read in another forum where you said the multimap mode is incomplete or something to that effect. You said you can save the multimap stuff and that you cannot choose the volume for each part... did I understand you right? If so, that sucks and I may cancel my order. Multimap was the only reason I wanted this.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

actuel

Post by actuel » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:28 pm

yes, yes! :twisted:

everyone keep canceling your orders! (movin' on up...) :D

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:47 pm

JSRockit wrote:Drool...I read in another forum where you said the multimap mode is incomplete or something to that effect. You said you can save the multimap stuff and that you cannot choose the volume for each part... did I understand you right? If so, that sucks and I may cancel my order. Multimap was the only reason I wanted this.
No, this is what I said. there is no multimode to save per se. You just change to multimode and then you can choose 1 program per channel. However, then, if you changed this setup, there's no way to save the original. You just lose it.

given that the only multimode parameter is the actual programs themselves, there are not per part settings - only the actual sound settings. So, on the Q, for instance, you have a multimode part volume, which limits the sound volume, etc...

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:50 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Drool...I read in another forum where you said the multimap mode is incomplete or something to that effect. You said you can save the multimap stuff and that you cannot choose the volume for each part... did I understand you right? If so, that sucks and I may cancel my order. Multimap was the only reason I wanted this.
No, this is what I said. there is no multimode to save per se. You just change to multimode and then you can choose 1 program per channel. However, then, if you changed this setup, there's no way to save the original. You just lose it.
Wow, so basically you have 16 slots... and as long as you never change those 16 slots, it will save whatever you have in those 16 slots...but if you choose to change a portion of those 16 slots, you have to stick with that new changed version? or do you have to reassign parts to those 16 slots each time you want to use the multimap mode simply because you turned the Blofeld off?

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:55 pm

Well, I only set up the multimode once, but I certainly didn't imply the latter. that would be quite ridiculous, wouldn't it?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:01 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:but I certainly didn't imply the latter. that would be quite ridiculous, wouldn't it?
That's what I am hoping... I can get away with 16 slots that are saved and assigned to different midi channels. It'll work perfectly with my MD or MnM.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:57 pm

actuel wrote:yes, yes!

everyone keep canceling your orders! (movin' on up...)
Well to get one at Thomann before 30th April a lot of orders are gonna need to be cancelled!

I placed an order today and before doing so checked to see what sort of timescale I'd be looking at. They said they are getting a batch 30th March which are all sold. Then another batch 30th April, half of which they already have pre orders for.

actuel

Post by actuel » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 pm

jaypodesta wrote:
actuel wrote:yes, yes!

everyone keep canceling your orders! (movin' on up...)
Well to get one at Thomann before 30th April a lot of orders are gonna need to be cancelled!

I placed an order today and before doing so checked to see what sort of timescale I'd be looking at. They said they are getting a batch 30th March which are all sold. Then another batch 30th April, half of which they already have pre orders for.
never fear young grasshopper. i have been on the pre-order list since early december. :shock:

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:58 pm

actuel wrote:never fear young grasshopper. i have been on the pre-order list since early december.
I only fear the firmware won't be fixed by May!! The wait I can handle.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:36 pm

Well, mine is shipping today. :shock: