how do you feel about that old 707?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

how do you feel about that old 707?

Post by Tyler2000 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:23 am

I just realized exactly what it is, and what it costs and I'm now quite intrigued. So, those of you who use it, how do you like it? I noticed that the sample quality is quite low, but that's sorf of how I like it. VSE says the sanre, ride, and kick sounds suck, but how do you feel. I've downloaded samples, but you can't really tell unless you hear it in person. Also, how extensive is the midi. I would love to be able to sequence xox style and not just sync.
so what do I put down here now?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:37 am

I actually like it... even the BD and Snare. very cool box. It's big and plasticky though.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

donaldm
Gear: modular synthesizer
Location: pedal depressed pan chromatic resonance and other highly ambient domain

Post by donaldm » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:54 am

It sounds just like the samples you download, the sequencer is kinda cool though.you can always sequence something else with it too

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:11 am

What 707 are you talking about?
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:20 am

Wiglaf wrote:What 707 are you talking about?
TR-707 - although very 80's sounding, the kick and toms are very tight and punchy. Do I hear 707 in Ozric Tentacles' early stuff? Sounds like 707 & 626 either triggered by pad to MIDI converter or beautifuly programmed.

Z

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:23 am

I just picked one up last week... and paid the MAX I think these are worth which is $70 (paying $150 for a 100% sampled drum machines is fairly ridiculous in this day and age, but that's another topic!)

I think it sounds great-the best sounds ARE the punchy snares, kiks and the ride (VSE doesn't always know what's best :wink: ). the hi-hats are also good (despite what others have said the hi-hats do NOT sound like the 909, but the ride sounds exactly the same)... it's house music in a box basically:)

now saying all that, it does sound VERY similar to the 626... they both have fairly similar sounds overall... main differences are the ability to tune drums , and individual drum accents on the 626 (and there are more sounds in general).. the 707 on the other hand has the traditional XoX sequencer and individual drum volume sliders which would be great live. both have individual outputs.

frankly, unless you were desperate for that 16-step layout, I'd go for the cheaper 626... you can step sequence the EXACT same way (as there are 16 pads for each step), there is just no little LED above each step letting you know where the sound is... there is still the LCD grid however, which is basically overkill on the 707.

otherwise, you're gonna pay at least $100+ for a 707 these days, and for that money, I'd rather buy a 505 and another korg ddm-220 or something!
Do you even post on vse bro?

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

aaa

Post by haricots » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:30 am

It's a great, distinct 80's drum machine. I had the 707 and the 727 but sold them both for quite a nice profit. They seem to have gone up in value at least on Ebay. I made sure to sample them before I sold - I hated the tedious programming.

soniczev

Post by soniczev » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:30 am

I f**k love my TR-505 almost as much as I love my TR-707.

if my TR-707 was a woman, my girlfriend would have competition.
:shock:
All my life needed was a sense of someplace to go. I don't believe that one should devote his life to morbid self-attention. I believe that someone should become a person like other people.

:shock:

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:43 am

Ah. Well I have a TR-707.

Honestly, if you're going to make acid house, you have to have a TR-707. Period. For some reason, it just goes so well with a TB-303. (Or a software emulator)

I'm not getting rid of mine anytime soon. Even with Reason's ReDrum, even with dreams of getting a MachineDrum.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

rickrhino

Post by rickrhino » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:47 am

I have a tr-505 but I really prefer individual outs, does the tr-707 had individual outs?
mis dos centavos

Roland Juno 60 w/Kenton DCB/MIDI, Novation Basstation R,Ensoniq ESQ1, Yamaha SY85 & PSS-470, RedSound Darkstar v2,,Akai MPC3000, NI Kontakt 3, Arturia's Minimoog V & ARP2600 V, GForce's ImpOscar,Oddity,Minimonsta, WOW TimewArp 2600

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

aaa

Post by haricots » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:04 am

Yes the 707 has individual outs.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:09 am

when I owned one I never used it, sold it at a healthy profit.

Now I kinda want one, and no joke, I haven't seen on in close to two years....crazy...but, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it...
Last edited by hyphen nation on Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:55 am

The 707 samples I've got were my most used samples for a while, I think it sounds really good. I hate the 505 though, go figure.

Sealed

Post by Sealed » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:56 am

When I looked at this thread, I only thought of this KORG 707, the FM synth with VA interface....

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:49 am

having owned both a 707 and a 727, I can safely say that if your looking for a good drum sequencer, look else where. If you thought a V1 909 had problems syncing to a midi clock, these things were way worse. Yes it has the handy x0x grid but really is pretty useless in a larger rig short of just triggering the sounds via midi and if I have to do that, I might as well sample the sounds into my sampler and use that instead (which is what I did obviously). With the sampler, I have the exact same sounds but now with editable parameters, effects, and so forth. Needless to say, I have never looked back and completely baffled by the apparent popularity of the 7x7. If you are looking for a gritty lo-fi drum machine, look at a linn, drumtraks, tom, or DMX. This thing just sounds so weak out of the box compared to the other machines and the terrible midi sync makes it pretty useless IMHO. Keep the samples, which are pretty cool (727 especially), loose the machine...

Please nobody say "you can get the kick to sound good with some processing". I can fart in a mic and make it sound good with some processing