Analog strings from something besides a "string machine

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
masyst
Gear: 5 gears + reverse

Re: Analog strings from something besides a "string machine

Post by masyst » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:46 pm

I mostly use my Akai SG01v for vintage string machine sounds, but after programming this patch into my Microkorg, I've been using that too.
For those more standard, not string enseble sounds, I use my Roland Juno-2
A synthesizer will be for you what you want it to be...

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:55 pm

Retro/Quirky strings = JX-3P
Weird/emotional strings = D-50
Smooth/spacey strings = JX-8P
Standard Strings = SY-85 (or any younger rompler)
Cool/fat strings = AN1x

No gear bias there at all ;) but can only comment from what I have. There are better options for strings than all of the above depending on your exact need... but yeah virtually any synth from the VA, Rompler, Polysynth cat can 'do strings' :)

mute

Re:

Post by mute » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:06 am

premieklovn wrote:any pre-90s roland polysynth can make sexy strings.
+1

MrFrodo

Re: Re:

Post by MrFrodo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:01 am

mute wrote:
premieklovn wrote:any pre-90s roland polysynth can make sexy strings.
+1
Agreed. I'll take 1 x Jupiter 4, 2 x Jupiter 8, 1 x Jupiter 6, 1 x VP-330,, 1 x MKS-80 / MPG-80, 2 x Juno 60, 1 x Juno 106, 2 x JX-8p /PG-800 programmer, 1 x MKS-70 and two x D-50 / PG-1000. Plus about 10 MIDI cables and 5 DCB buss cables. )Oh wait, doesn't the DCB take standard MIDI plugs?)

Send to cart!
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

solaristica

Post by solaristica » Sat May 02, 2009 7:25 pm

Arp Quadra... GOD those strings are beautiful... check this out:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQbBGdVgJo

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Sat May 02, 2009 7:33 pm

solaristica wrote:Arp Quadra... GOD those strings are beautiful... check this out:

That IS excellent. Thanks, Solaristica.

Hart to tell though, if the Quadra doesn't qualify as a "string machine." It does have the innards of an Omni built into it, and the Omni is a string machine.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun May 03, 2009 1:24 am

garranimal wrote:
Dirk wrote:I use the Andromeda for strings a lot.
Second that, I was able to create a meaty (that growling sound on the low keys) string ensemble sound on the Andi. And without resorting to on-board chorus.
I'll third that.

Out of the JVs, Matrix, and Juno's I've had, the A6 goes much much further. The oscillators and dual filters can generate tons of variety, alone.
Pan the voices, detune, LFO to pitch, dial in filters, set EGs accordingly, h**l - use Unison...the variety and mutatability is so great, and it always sounds authentically analog because it is.

I patch the A6 thru a Flanger Hoax for the rickety old 70's stringer sound.... the dirty noisy thru-zero madness is so f**k delicious and addictive :mrgreen:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon May 04, 2009 7:42 am

Clavier wrote:I know it's not popular for strings, but I gotten some really good results making strings on the Prophet-5. Not only can it do realistic cello, violin, and chamber orchestra sounds, but I have been able to get soft CS and Polymoog type strings. That's without any outboard effects.
Any advice on how to make those? ;)

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon May 04, 2009 3:17 pm

shaft9000 wrote:
garranimal wrote:
Dirk wrote:I use the Andromeda for strings a lot.
Second that, I was able to create a meaty (that growling sound on the low keys) string ensemble sound on the Andi. And without resorting to on-board chorus.
I'll third that.

Out of the JVs, Matrix, and Juno's I've had, the A6 goes much much further. The oscillators and dual filters can generate tons of variety, alone.
Pan the voices, detune, LFO to pitch, dial in filters, set EGs accordingly, h**l - use Unison...the variety and mutatability is so great, and it always sounds authentically analog because it is.

I patch the A6 thru a Flanger Hoax for the rickety old 70's stringer sound.... the dirty noisy thru-zero madness is so f**k delicious and addictive :mrgreen:
I tried a flanger hoax with all sorts of different settings and for some reason didn't like it very much. Found the thru-zero cancellations to be distracting. But not everyone is doing it, which gets kudos. I do like the sound of EH stereo polyphase chained to a roland phasor pedal a lot.

jx8p
Gear: Roland JX-8P.
Roland TR-505.

Post by jx8p » Mon May 04, 2009 10:24 pm

Apart from the JX-8P beautiful strings, the coolest analog strings i've ever heard are the Emu Emulator 2's (even though the samples are digital, its analog oscilators make it sound real), they sound like an orchestra.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue May 05, 2009 1:55 am

jx8p wrote:Apart from the JX-8P beautiful strings, the coolest analog strings i've ever heard are the Emu Emulator 2's (even though the samples are digital, its analog oscilators make it sound real), they sound like an orchestra.
Yep, analog VCF's and VCA's will do that to a digital sound. That's why I've considered the DW-8000 a few times.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Tue May 05, 2009 2:44 am

jx8p wrote:Apart from the JX-8P beautiful strings, the coolest analog strings i've ever heard are the Emu Emulator 2's (even though the samples are digital, its analog oscilators make it sound real), they sound like an orchestra.
Not to be pedantic, but I believe you mean analogue filters, not oscillators.

jx8p
Gear: Roland JX-8P.
Roland TR-505.

Post by jx8p » Fri May 08, 2009 7:21 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:
Not to be pedantic, but I believe you mean analogue filters, not oscillators.
sorry!, my bad, i got confused.
That's why I've considered the DW-8000 a few times.
I've heard it's a quite good at dark kind of strings pads and weird, but weak for basses.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun May 10, 2009 6:49 am

garranimal wrote: I tried a flanger hoax with all sorts of different settings and for some reason didn't like it very much. Found the thru-zero cancellations to be distracting.
...then i guess you don't want a thru-zero flanger, then.
that's really the main reason to get the FH - unless you just like to freak out but there are plenty of other ways that are much more flexible, clean and sensible for the money.
the Hoax is a white-noise loving, butt-ugly contraption that I use sparingly. But maaaan does it come in handy for the odd feedback whoosh or wild sound-folding-back-in-on-itself effect. :)
My digital Kurzweil Rumour makes better for clean flanging, for sure. But it just doesn't have the 'drama' of the Hoax. Combining them is just... :mrgreen:

sorry to go OT

another nice string 'compliment' is the Matrix1000. Rather thin on it's own - but for layering it provides some gorgeous 'weepy' timbres that slither in&out of the mix.
sounds great w/ the Juno6 ...which again is nice but terribly limited - they 'help each other out'. The Juno is one-dimensional compared to an A6, particularly.

closest I could get to a Solina in digital was Supernova2 - the onboard chorus is stellar; just one OSC is enough to nail it (an unstacked Solina, that is. For stacked sounds you have to layer seperately programmed timbres)
MS2000 is not a very authentic and certainly not realistic, but it still puts out a cool sound - the onboard ensemble is nice and vibey. Goes up to really high rate, too.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

socalsynths
Gear: Roland: JX10, Fantom FA76, Juno-60, Juno-106
Yamaha: DX7, SY77, Motif ES6
Korg: Triton Extreme, Wavestation

Post by socalsynths » Sun May 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Got to bump my JX10- too many people listen to the presets only (Cello Orchestra and Low Strings). These are quite tasty by themselves, but keep in mind that with the PG800 or not (and its quite easy to program without), this is a very deep machine, and makes some incredible, "rolling" strings, chorus or not- something a lot of other Roland pieces can't say. Love it!