Okay Doepfer fans...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Okay Doepfer fans...

Post by maindeglorie » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:53 am

MAQ16 or Schaltwerk? Does the Schaltwerk have the instant forwards/backwards changing capability? Also, is the Schaltwerk as fun and inspirational as the MAQ? That's an important thing. I am looking for maximum cv outs, so it's between two MAQ's or a Schaltwerk. Any opinions, or owner feedback would be GREAT!

myteeGTi

Post by myteeGTi » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:18 am

you have to get the maq.....

......hey wadda ya know! Im selling mine! ;)

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:22 am

I dunno - are you sequencing analog or midi gear? I'm not convinced that these are as cool as other stuff that's currently available. The Schaltwerk seems to have some nice features, but is really overpriced.

Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd research a Schrittmacher, p3 (only available used at this point), Octopus, even the new Cyclus sequencer (which is relatively cheap and sounds pretty interesting).

cl516

Post by cl516 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:04 am

i'm actually in the market looking for one too...

was seriously looking at the schrittmacher but damn it no CV so half the synths i have can't be used without some converter?

i really love that MAQ one step mode.

myteeGTi u don't like the MAQ?

cl516

Post by cl516 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:27 am

is the timing on the MAQ crappy? as in lame and boring like Logic can be sometimes...?

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:18 am

Haven't tried the schaltwerk, but the maq is great stuff, and the ability to control every parameter externally via midi CCs and PCs is great for weird stuff.
The only drawbacks are the little cryptic display -passable anyway- and the lack of a power-on switch -easily serviceable.
Just remember though that the CV outs are V/Oct, so you can't control old Korgs and Yamahas with it. You'd need a midi->hz/v converter.
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

cl516

Post by cl516 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:42 pm

hi audible - is there swing or any sort of way to vary the timing on the MAQ?

do you guys know if MAQ is rock solid or does it get real sloppy when it's overworked?

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:04 pm

All Doepfer sequencers are pretty rock solid even when they're busy.
Never tried a Schaltwerk but the Regelwerk is a good option if you want loadsa CV/gate outs (it has 8).

The Regelwerk and Schalwerk share a similar OS but unfortunately you can only get some parameters via a software programmer on the Regelwerk however a good work around is to save a few template presets of the functions you want to control and the way you want each sequence to play.

The MAQ can do external MIDI control of many of its functions which was somethin I never explored on my mates unit which has since been sold.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:55 pm

I think people can get too caught up in the lack of cv/gate. I'd focus on the features, for instance. I'd rather have a Schrittmacher (in fact, my old one will be coming back to me) 100x more than an maq, because I love the ability to modulate one track of controllers, notes, velocities, lengths, etc with another. It is EXTREMELY flexible in that way, and you can get evolving patterns that you cannot get on the maq. You will also have more flexibility with timing - as I recall the maq is limited in that way, though my memory may be faulty.

You can also see numerically all of the values of a track in the Schrittmacher display.

the Schrittmacher is a GREAT sequencer.

The maq is more hands on in the fashion of a 'true' analog sequencer. If that's what you want, go for it. But unless your into intertrack modulation, the Schrittmacher is WAY overkill anyway!

modulator_esp
Gear: some synths, samplers, effects, sequencers and loopers :-)
Band: Modulator ESP

Post by modulator_esp » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:12 pm

I'm using a P3 for midi and a MAQ for cv/gate, that's a fun combo

I may yet buy another Regelwerk as I miss mine, just need to make some room

My mate has the Schaltwerk and it's good, but takes up way too much room
mostly enjoying adventures in sound :)

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:41 pm

cl516 wrote:hi audible - is there swing or any sort of way to vary the timing on the MAQ?
There is no global swing parameter as far as I recall. You can program a row to set the duration of each step independently but of course you lose that row for sending notes, velocity or other data. I'm talking off the top of my head as I don't have the machine in front of me. In fact I'm planning to sell it because I bought a G2 recently and I think I'll be able to replicate most of the MAQ features on it.

You also can vary the speed of each row and still keep synced to the master BPM.

Plus, you can put row 2 or 3 to modulate the values of row 1. Setting them to different clock settings allows for some sort of automatic transposition. Setting different lengths is nice for semi-unpredictable stuff. You can get crazy stuff from it, great for experimentation.

You can find the manual in the Doepfer site, it's a really short read and it'll give you some more ideas, despite its funny anglogerman jargon.
do you guys know if MAQ is rock solid or does it get real sloppy when it's overworked?
I've never had any trouble with the MAQ although the build quality could be better and the knobs feel kind of cheapo. Great stuff anyway.
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:00 pm

droolmaster0 wrote: I'd rather have a Schrittmacher (in fact, my old one will be coming back to me) 100x more than an maq, because I love the ability to modulate one track of controllers, notes, velocities, lengths, etc with another. It is EXTREMELY flexible in that way, and you can get evolving patterns that you cannot get on the maq.
The MAQ can do similar stuff to what you've said which was something I never realised until much later on, how this compares with the Schrittmacher’s way of doing things I don’t know as I’ve never had the pleasure.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:08 pm

Soundwave wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote: I'd rather have a Schrittmacher (in fact, my old one will be coming back to me) 100x more than an maq, because I love the ability to modulate one track of controllers, notes, velocities, lengths, etc with another. It is EXTREMELY flexible in that way, and you can get evolving patterns that you cannot get on the maq.
The MAQ can do similar stuff to what you've said which was something I never realised until much later on, how this compares with the Schrittmacher’s way of doing things I don’t know as I’ve never had the pleasure.
You sure about that now? I don't recall the maq as having cross track modulation at all.

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:28 pm

droolmaster0 wrote: I don't recall the maq as having cross track modulation at all.
The Ad1 setting on row 2/3 allows values entered in this row to be added to those in row one. It's simple and effective but this is as far as the Maq goes in cross-modulation, I think.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:29 pm

oh, forgot to mention...3 tracks on the maq vs 32 on the Schrittmacher.