AN1x, AN200, and the CS2x... (re-titled)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

AN1x, AN200, and the CS2x... (re-titled)

Post by killedaway » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:14 am

i'd love to buy an AN1x, but i just don't need another synth with fullsize keys. i'm also not worried about multitimbrality or lots of polyphony -- i just want to get a few notes worth of the AN's "sound". i have heard folks here bemoan the lower quality output of the AN200. you'd think by some of the comments that it's just awful, but is it so bad i shouldn't even bother? are we talking An1x or nothing? i mean, after all, i own the DX200, and it sounds fine to me -- i have no issues with it whatsoever, but as i've never owned an AN200, i don't know if they're the same.

also, are the effects in the AN200 the same as the AN1x? or are they two completely different things?
Last edited by killedaway on Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

fuckrapsputin

Post by fuckrapsputin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:52 am

I have not used both but I can say that I do very much enjoy my AN200, it has some cool sounds and lots of nobs for easy modulation... for what I use it for (some bass, usually midi sequenced kinda light and bright noises) I really enjoy it, but that said the only other synths I have are a Roland MC202 and an Ensoniq ESQ 1 (samplers are more my bag) so maybe I just haven't had enough experience with these types of synths to know that it is actually kinda s**t? As I said, I can't comment too much on the differences or whether the AN200 is as good as the AN1X, but I do enjoy mine a lot and actually probably use it more than my other synths for its versatility and ease of use.

The effects on the AN200 are ok, good for a bit but I usually run it through either a Kaoss Pad or my Moogerfrooger low pass filter. The delay isn't bad but kinda simple, the overdrive type effect is actually pretty cool. There is a distortion switch which is alright, the phaser and flanger I don't really use, not so great compaired to either the KP's or say the Dr Sample phaser and flanger...

Its a cool cheap little box, but as I said, since I don't own any other groovebox/VA type synths I'm not sure, but I am happy with mine and am glad I did not sell it the time I tried.
gear: Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits

felis

Post by felis » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:55 am

If your DX200 sounds fine to you, the AN200 probably will too. They both sound fine to me.

Can't remember about the fx though - if they're not identical, they're at least similar.

bigbadbarns

Post by bigbadbarns » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:59 am

I think the outputs on the AN200 sound fine (i own both an an200 and dx200). I've never questioned them. I certainly wouldn't let those comments put you off- I love my AN. sounds gnarly as f**k. However, one thing about the AN200 is the lack of certain front panel controls- various parameters can not be accessed from the unit itself, but only via the software editor.

I notice you have a BCR2000 there- I wonder if that would allow you to access those parameters (ie- whether ordinary midi cc messages can do it, or whether its some different software shenanigans)- I was going to get one, hardwire it to my AN and DX. Because it really is a bit of a b***h when you can't REALLY delve deep into the sound editing without hooking it up to your computer (unless you always work with your computer, in which case, who cares).

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: i know the AN1x "sounds better", but will the

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:51 am

I own both and like them as a pair, but if I should choose between the two..I'd go with the AN1x for sure. AN200 is not actually that bad, specially for the price. it's just not as big sounding as the AN1x, could be the converter, the mighty AN1x Dual Unison with additional 5 voices or could be the AN1x have a better sounding engine. but true that the AN200 have it's own phunky n dirty character that I would expect from it's toyish looks.

the fx blocks are not the same, AN1x have this chain: Vari>eq>delay>reverb, while the AN200 chain is distortion>eq>Vari (including Reverb and delay). the distortion is separate from the fx section with a dedicated button. outside the software editor, those fx in the AN200 is not easily tweaked/optimized with the promising interface. I found the fx in the AN1x to be better sounding, specially with that more flexible chain which could also be some of the reason of the AN1x beefier sound.

If you want the module version instead of the keyboard which going to be the only AN source, I'd take the EX5R or CS6x route instead. Some also have good luck with the PLG-150AN in their motif. But since you love the DX-200, may be you are going to be happy with the AN-200 and both will make a nice looking couple as well :wink:
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:39 am

thanks for all the great replies, folks.
crystalmsc wrote:I own both and like them as a pair, but if I should choose between the two..I'd go with the AN1x for sure. AN200 is not actually that bad, specially for the price... If you want the module version instead of the keyboard which going to be the only AN source, I'd take the EX5R or CS6x route instead. Some also have good luck with the PLG-150AN in their motif. But since you love the DX-200, may be you are going to be happy with the AN-200 and both will make a nice looking couple as well :wink:
crystalmsc, i'm glad to see someone who owns both and can offer an opinion. i have to say that while the EX5R and CS6x are more attractive options, i'm hard-pressed to justify a purchase considering they do a lot more than i actually want/need, and they're also both priced considerably higher than the lil' AN200. i think you're right -- i thoroughly enjoy my DX200, and considering that in almost all other regards, the "200" series are equal (same sequencer, same drums, same effects), i think it's safe to say i can expect the same sonic output from the AN200 as i currently enjoy of the DX200.

i just wanted to really make certain that there wasn't some bizarre deficiency that existed solely in the AN200 that might keep it from being a worthwhile purchase. apparently, if there is, the DX200 suffers the same, so i must be immune, or blissfully ignorant. :wink:

i am disappointed to hear that the effects sections differ, but i guess i should've expected as much, considering the different ways the two units were marketed.

i'd like to touch on something that bigbadbarns mentioned: what features/functions exactly are missing from the face of the AN200 that can only be accessed from the PC editor? i am aware of a similar phenomenon with the DX200 -- the effects, noise types, operator functions and some other stuff must be accessed from within the software editor, but a lot of those don't really concern me, and i find myself mostly content with the level of control found on the face of the unit.

bigbadbarns: i've not tried to setup a profile in my BCR2000 for my DX200, but i don't see why one couldn't. since the thing sends/receives MIDI CC/nrpn/Sysex we presumably have the bases covered. if you'd like me to check it out (on the DX anyway) and report back, let me know here or in a PM, and i'll be glad to share my results.

Dano

Post by Dano » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:26 am

In September of 1997 I first played an AN1X at Chateau Du Pape in Hamburg shortly after it was introduced (although I was initially told not to touch it!) on a day that Ramstein happened to be in the studio ...OK, so that's my best synth story ever!!! I have an AN200 now and it actually has a lot of synth engine features that the AN1X doesn't. If 10 voice vs. 5 voice polyphony isn't an issue for you then I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:58 am

killedaway wrote:i have to say that while the EX5R and CS6x are more attractive options, i'm hard-pressed to justify a purchase considering they do a lot more than i actually want/need, and they're also both priced considerably higher than the lil' AN200.
the CS6r could be way more expensive, specially since it is more desirable and we still have to buy the PLG board. But with some luck, the EX5R could be had for cheap! remember that it already have the AN engine inside. Not everyone love the AN inside the EX, but my friend sold his AN1x and happy with the EX's AN. Plus there are ton more goodies such the VL engine, Way better Drums/Rompler part, better FXs to cure the dissapointment :) and top of the line components/converters, etc..etc. the sampler is powerful but have a long loading time..also prepare for some sloppy midi timing even with the latest os, so don't get it for a super tight arrangements. But aside from that, it's a very deep and beautiful sounding instrument. and imho, a much better purchase..it's still desirable to me as it capable of layering AN or VL engine with the AWM in the legacy of the TG77 goodness.
killedaway wrote:i just wanted to really make certain that there wasn't some bizarre deficiency that existed solely in the AN200 that might keep it from being a worthwhile purchase. apparently, if there is, the DX200 suffers the same, so i must be immune, or blissfully ignorant. :wink:
hmm, things to aware..may be the engine is not as powerful as the DX200, so don't expect for powerful sounds..but there are some nice and dirty (if not a bit thin and toyish) sounds in it. imho, it will not represent the beauty of the AN1x, but will provide some of tone in the cheaper manner. I love mine for what it is, not as the AN1x sucessor.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:32 pm

Just a few things I wanted to mention:

CS6r has no AN engine unless you install a PLG150-AN (the board inside the AN200). You can install up to 2 of them.

EX5r has a built in AN engine but it's limited to playing a max of 2 notes...ouch.

The PLG board (thus the AN200 as well) has the distortion and 2 band EQ on board but all other effects must come from the host, that is why the FX chain is different than the AN1x. The AN200 FX unit is pretty basic but plug the board into a Motif and wow.

Using the PLG board in any host whether the AN200, CS6r, Motif...you still need to use the software editor to get at everything. If this alone will drive you crazy, get the AN1x.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:06 pm

wasn't there a pretty big bug in the 200 series sequencers that dropped the first note of every pattern?

felis

Post by felis » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:12 am

I had both the AN and DX 200, and neither one had that bug. But I've heard a lot of people complain about it, so there must be something to it.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:18 am

MitchK1989 wrote:wasn't there a pretty big bug in the 200 series sequencers that dropped the first note of every pattern?
my DX200 does this occasionally, but i almost never use the inbuilt sequencer, so it's not really an issue. i think the going theory is that the processor within is underpowered (or laggy, or something), and as the unit rushes to play the "next pattern", it often ditches the first note of the new pattern in order to keep the timing tight.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:09 am

hey, lemme bump this with a question:

i might be able to pick up a CS2x for not a lot of money. cheap enough to where i can live with it being yet another full-size board. how is the CS2x's analog "sound" compared to that of the AN1x? at all similar, or two completely different beasts?

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:19 am

killedaway wrote:hey, lemme bump this with a question:

i might be able to pick up a CS2x for not a lot of money. cheap enough to where i can live with it being yet another full-size board. how is the CS2x's analog "sound" compared to that of the AN1x? at all similar, or two completely different beasts?
I used to have a CS2x...you can get some wierd sounding things, but if you are really searching for a full blown synth with convincing analog emulation the an1x is one of the best choices.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:46 pm

I play my CS2x more than my AN1X... Not that either sound better in any particular way than the other, the CS2x is just more fun to beat on, got to be carefull with it because its knobs arn't quite as sturdy. But, its an underated and underapreciated board IMHO. I'd rank it between the sound of a CS1x and the AN1x, it has more drum kits too if that maters to you any. CS2x also has a fairly decent midi facility to go with it as far as routing tracks and channels to and from it. You'll still long to have AN1x tho. which is why I have both, don't bother thinking about getting a CS1x if you were, I had trouble giving that one away.

Intro of this song has one of my favorite CS2x patches:

http://www.quantum-source.com/Sounds/mp3s/pisspuka.mp3
(4.0m)

Intro to this song has AN1X:

http://www.quantum-source.com/Sounds/mp3s/high.mp3 (3.8m)

Any of them would probably be a good choice I think.

Zam
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]