New Korg R3

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

New Korg R3

Postby ballophun » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:48 pm

I'm pretty sure they're like the replacement for the microkorg, and they look great. And have good size keys...

The demo's sound pretty good too. Anyone had a go on one?
Ruger .454 Super Redhawk, SIGarms P226 X-Five, Henry Golden Boy .22, Winchester M70 Super Shadow, MAC-10, M60 machine gun, Boker Beil Throwing Axe
ballophun

Postby JSRockit » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:16 pm

MicroKorg 4 Life! :lol:
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby factual35 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:18 pm

I'm interested in them, but with a price tag like that it's hardly a good replacement for the microKorg. They need to drop the price to $400.
factual35

Gear: Korg EA-1,Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Alesis Micron, DSI Evolver Desktop
Band: Mike Rochip

Postby immigrantboy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:46 pm

I don't really have a problem with the microkorg. I prefer bigger, weighty keys, but nevertheless...

So exciting. The R3 looks like the microkorgs evil twin brother O.O (with some nicer keys, lcd screens and all)
Main Gear: Korg M500, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha PSS-480, sitar, cassette tapes
Toys: Casio PT-87, Casio SA-40 "Magical Dial", Casio Rapman, "The Crappy Keyboard"
immigrantboy

Postby Bob-omb » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:23 pm

I wanted one before to use live. But the price is way too high. I'd rather go for two MS2000r instead.
Bob-omb

Postby ronP » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:04 pm

factual35 wrote:I'm interested in them, but with a price tag like that it's hardly a good replacement for the microKorg. They need to drop the price to $400.

I agree. And having been duped last year by the build of the microX (those side panels are not brushed aluminum, just silver plastic), I can tell already, simply from the shiny product photos, that the R3 is a light, hollow, smooth plastic box that probably can float in your bathtub whilst you play.

The microKORG is just so much more solid. The Minimoog knobs, rosewood side panels, and the textured chasis is actually much sturdier that almost all the other recent synths out there.

Last edited by ronP on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100
ronP

Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Postby Zarith » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:53 pm

I was interested in the R3. I have the Radias, it's one of my favorite digital synth. I thought it would be cool to have a "lite" version with a small keyboard (the R3 is based on the same sound engine as the Radias). I changed my mind however after reading the first reviews. Apparently the build quality is awful: the unit is made of thin cheap plastic :cry:. It's a shame. Korg's "Multi Modeling Technology" synthesis is fantastic.

Anyway, I'm sure the price will drop soon. In 6 months it will go down to $500 (like the MicroX).
Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Band: Brek Zarith

Postby synapsecollapse » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:15 pm

didn't everyone say they would pick up radias if it were cheaper? microkorg:ms2000;R3:radias, right?
synapsecollapse

Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Postby killedaway » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:15 am

i still want one. unfortunately, i'm not really looking for another synth with keys, so i'm gonna wait on the price of the Radias to come down a bit more.
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Postby JSRockit » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:16 am

killedaway wrote:i still want one. unfortunately, i'm not really looking for another synth with keys, so i'm gonna wait on the price of the Radias to come down a bit more.

I think you should complete your electribe collection first. ;)
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Huppo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:38 am

I had a MicroKorg and liked it, aside from the tiny keys. The only reason I don't have it anymore is because someone agreed to trade me a Pro One for it :shock:

I also had an MS2000r, which I liked but never really got excited about. I do miss it a bit. If the non-rack units get cheap enough I might grab one for laughs.

I kind of have a boner for a Radias at the moment. The only reason I haven't gone for it yet is because it's a rack unit even when it's attached to the Jetsons keyboard thing it comes with. If I can score a Radias for around $600 I'll go for it anyway.

Somehow the R3 went under my radar. I vaguely recall hearing about it when the flurry of Radias and M3 stuff happened recently. Now that it's mentioned, I recall thinking it was clearly the replacement for the MicroKorg.

If these come down to MicroKorg money (<$400) I'll jump in a heartbeat. I'd like to try out some of the new features of the Radias and the lower price and smaller form factor would be welcome. I don't care how cheap the box is, if it has full size keys it's better than the MicroKorg.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.
Huppo

Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Postby killedaway » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:45 am

JSRockit wrote:
killedaway wrote:i still want one. unfortunately, i'm not really looking for another synth with keys, so i'm gonna wait on the price of the Radias to come down a bit more.

I think you should complete your electribe collection first. ;)

that goal is there, it's just on the back burner. :lol:
seriously though, i am dying to get an EM-1, believe it or not. i'm not in a big hurry to get an ES-1 again, but if the right price comes along, i won't be able to resist. once i've got them all, i won't be able to share my opinion on them, due to the fanboy image it'll inevitably invoke.
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:49 am

I'm interested in it, but not at that price point. I've listened to the samples and like them quite a bit, plus the general setup and esthetics appeal to me, but I think that's a bit much at the moment. I had the same response to (wait for it) the Roland SH-201. Nice little machine, but it needs to have the price point dropped by about $200 to make it truly appealing.

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby felis » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:17 am

Huppo wrote:....
If these come down to MicroKorg money (<$400) I'll jump in a heartbeat. I'd like to try out some of the new features of the Radias and the lower price and smaller form factor would be welcome. I don't care how cheap the box is, if it has full size keys it's better than the MicroKorg.

That's about my thoughts on it too. When it gets to Microkorg/Micron price range, I'll be very interested.
felis

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:49 am

Ahh ... to have my Korg dealership again! I'll bet I could sell a boatload of 'em ... at about 3 points each! Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Next

Return to General Synthesizers