Prophet 600

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
adsr

Prophet 600

Post by adsr » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:56 pm

there is a SCI Pro-600 selling near me for $750. it looks nice and comes with a hardshell case. is that price about right? i know the Pro-5 goes for more then most think they are worth and i have seen the SixTrak go for really great prices, so i really dont know. I have played the SixTrak and a VS, so i have an idea of the SCI sound, but i really just dont know if $750 is a good price for a 600 or not. the threads i have found in the forum archives dont really go into PRICE. thoughts?
Micron - MMT8 - AX60 - MPC2000 - MPC500 - S2800 - CZ3000 - SK1 (x2) - SQ80 - EA1 - ER1 - mK - Poly 800 II - BSR - Alpha Juno2 - JV1010 - TR505 - MicroQ - DX21 - RT123

goom

Post by goom » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:12 am

I've usually seen these go for ~$450-500. I think that is a fair price for one. With a case and in perfect condition, I could see paying maybe $550.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:18 am

Yeah, P-600s should definitely be more in the $400-500 range. The only way I'd consider paying much more is if it had just been given a good going-over by a reputable synth tech. Even then, $750 would be a bit steep.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:50 am

at that price i would want to know that it has been thoroughly serviced recently or i would want to be able to test it myself. hopefully you can do the latter. check the keypad--do all the keys work? (if no--danger) is it brittle and dry feeling...or can you feel a little bit of give still in the "bubble" under the membrane? (if brittle--danger) are all the lights in the l.e.d. present and accounted for? (if no--danger)

test to make sure all the voices are present and accounted for. press down--1,2,3,4,5,6 keys. there's another, probably better way to do this that i don't understand how to make work--supposedly it will cycle through the voices after "tune" has been engaged but i never quite grasped the concept--hopefully someone can chime in with a clarification.

create a patch and--with the owner's permission--save it. (1. press record 2. enter the number of the location you want it stored in) change the patch number. then call up the number where you stored your sound--is it the one you stored (if not--you guessed it--danger).

obviously try all the other switches/functions as well. recalcitrant switches (most often with the waveforms--these sometimes take a little jiggling at first) and scratchy pots are perhaps to be expected if it has been sitting around for a long while and aren't a big deal--but you may be able to use them to get some knocked off the price.

take a tuner pedal, zero base the oscillator tuning knobs (the fine tune too) (also make sure switches in the mod sections are in the off positions). press the 'tune" button a few times (repeat, that is, after the light goes off)...until the light goes on and off quickly. can you get it to tune to the note(s) you're playing with the master tuning knob (upper right) at or near the center? some tuning of oscillators may be necessary, again, if it hasn't been serviced recently--which shouldn't be a big deal but which may get you some off the price too.

i put so much emphasis on the keypad section because that's this synth's achilles heel. once it starts to go, you're likely to have all sorts of problems until you get it replaced. and while the keypads aren't impossible to find, they aren't the easiest things in the world to score either (everyone says chipforbrains on ebay but he hasn't carried them in a while and didn't respond to an email inquiring whether he had any for sale--ultimately bought one from vse member dougt).

finally decide whether you find the sound pleasing in its various knob-turning permutations. with a gig coming up, i bought a backup when my original went all hinky on me due to the keypad deteriorating. while the new one had a good keypad (and one voice with "issues"--per my inscrutable tech--that i didn't find out about until later) it has a significantly different sound than my first one. first one was a serial # around 1400...second, around 2400. the second one sounded far brassier than the first--which i suppose is probably attributable to a different rev (anyone?). whatever the reason, i don't like it nearly as much. interestingly, the second one also--i swear--has somewhat snappier enveloped than the first, at least to my ears.

i bought my first prophet 600 for $400 "mint" (not) from ebay. though i had all kinds of fun with it in the studio, when i started playing in a band and had to have a serious instrument for gigging it ended up needing $320 worth of servicing. done...until i broke the stem of a knob and then, one $90 pot replacement repair later, i found out that the keypad had gone from bad to worse in the course of opening up the synth. the "4" no longer worked, which meant that any patch with a 4 in it was irretrievable. after a week, the "tune" button stopped working--along with the "record" button, which meant that i couldn't do a sysex dump to tape or to my 2nd p600. now with new keypad in hand, i face another repair bill to get it installed. anticipating this repair, the synth has cost me well over $500 in repairs. the second p600, bought for $550, has already cost me $300 in repairs.

i love the p600, and would say it's worth $750. but, as with most (all?) vintage analogs, you need to figure in repairs unless it's had a thorough and recent going over by a qualified tech. so if you're not careful that $750 synth could easily cost you over $1000 before it's working as it should.

if serviced and taken care of, it's not any less stable than other vintage analogs, i would think. and it has autotune, which is a plus, along with patch storage (back them up!). and it sounds fantastic! obviously the p5 is superior but for my money the p600 is the superior value. the six-track has a really nice sounding filter and is capable of some gorgeous sounds, but it's a relative b***h to program (lack of knobbiness) and does not have separately tuneable oscillators.

on the downside--audible stepping on manual sweeps of filter cutoff at high resonance (don;'t mind it meself), a somewhat weak arpeggiator (ymmv--i'm comparing, e.g., to the juno-6/60), limited range of values on certain functions. notoriously sluggish filters though perhaps too much is made of this issue.

on the upside--a full-featured analog with some very p5 features (polymod), 2 tuneable osc's, a pretty good and versatile filter, arpeggio, very cool glide, unison mode, sync, and 100 patch storage sites.

exercise caution and perhaps wait for a better deal.

adsr

Post by adsr » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:50 am

thanks all. $750 seemed a bit much to me, but i just wanted to make sure. thanks, green, for the in-depth. i actually go over synths pretty well before i buy. the keyboard is not as much of an issue to me as i use the M1 and Juno-2 as my controllers for almost all my gear. i will check it out and maybe try to talk him down a bit. thats if i really dig the sound...
Micron - MMT8 - AX60 - MPC2000 - MPC500 - S2800 - CZ3000 - SK1 (x2) - SQ80 - EA1 - ER1 - mK - Poly 800 II - BSR - Alpha Juno2 - JV1010 - TR505 - MicroQ - DX21 - RT123

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton

Post by code green » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:34 am

adsr wrote:thanks all. $750 seemed a bit much to me, but i just wanted to make sure. thanks, green, for the in-depth. i actually go over synths pretty well before i buy. the keyboard is not as much of an issue to me as i use the M1 and Juno-2 as my controllers for almost all my gear. i will check it out and maybe try to talk him down a bit. thats if i really dig the sound...
not the keyboard--the keyPAD...the membrane keypad that will bring every prophet 600 owner to their knees sooner or later--you want to make sure it's in good shape so it will be "later."

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:55 pm

code green wrote:
adsr wrote:thanks all. $750 seemed a bit much to me, but i just wanted to make sure. thanks, green, for the in-depth. i actually go over synths pretty well before i buy. the keyboard is not as much of an issue to me as i use the M1 and Juno-2 as my controllers for almost all my gear. i will check it out and maybe try to talk him down a bit. thats if i really dig the sound...
not the keyboard--the keyPAD...the membrane keypad that will bring every prophet 600 owner to their knees sooner or later--you want to make sure it's in good shape so it will be "later."
There's some currently on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEQUENTIAL-CIRCUI ... dZViewItem

Picked one up myself yesterday despite the fact my P600 is working perfectly. Seems a good price for a bit of reassurance.

parke02

Post by parke02 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:00 pm

Anybody eveer buy from Wine Country Sequential? They're asking $888 for a serviced, and "certified" prophet 600.

code green

Post by code green » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:36 pm

parke02 wrote:Anybody eveer buy from Wine Country Sequential? They're asking $888 for a serviced, and "certified" prophet 600.
it's a steep price...but if one is determined to buy a p600 it may well be worth it.